Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Globaldancefloor.com different interview on SBS - systemsbyshorty

globaldancefloor.com interview on SBS

Systems By Shorty head, Craig Bernabeu tells us about the worlds best sound systems...

You started out as a DJ. What genre did you used to spin back then?

"I played disco/garage music & anything that was good. we did not stick to a specific sound we could play downtempo sleeze to the clash to Michael Jackson to house to whatever as long as it was good music it got played".

How did the audio systems compare to nowadays?

"In those days the sound systems in clubs were alot better than today and the engineers behind the systems were alot etter you had Richard Long, Alex Rosner, Lou Feldman, Peter Spar, greybar sound, doing systems and they all sounded good, there were bad sounding clubs aswell but the majority of the discos sounded great & there was fierce compitition in those days unlike today, the technology was alot better then to now aswell, in those days there was great gear being used like, Macintosh amps,BGW, Crown, Urei,& Levinson was even used in the Loft attention to the sound system was very important to the club owners. Alot of Richards systems used mostly TAD speakers which is the best IMHO, Altec Landsing Voice of the theatre speakers where used aswell. So back then there was a more audiophile design pholosophy that went into esigning a system for a disco".

What was your first installation as an audio technician?

"I worked on alot of small clubs in NY & i took care of Richard Long sound systems like in Club Zanzibar in newark NJ as well, I added and modifying sound systems in various clubs in ny as well".

Had any systems blow on you?

"No there where parts from fatuige that would indicate wear when i would go thru the system so i would catch it before any serious problems came along, so there would be no failures during the nights of operation because of the maintenece that was done. But once in a while a tweeter or a sub would go out but nothing major".

Have you installed many systems outside of clubs?

"Yes actually in private homes, lofts and recording studios. The market for nightclub systems in these applications is rowing and i speacialize in this aswell building mini club systems in these kind of applications. David Morales had me build him a club system for his studio so he could referance his mixes so he knows where he is at before handing a mix in".

Tell us a little about Systems By Shorty...

"SBS is a sound company that caters to the hi-end market, I speacialize in real hiend audio systems, We do design and build custom sound systems in all budgets but our speacialty his top shelf product, SBS is a HIFI sound company that has been in buisness since 2001 and i been very buisy since we started because i am more of a speacialty type of company with the pholosophy of use the best product and achieve the best results, so my clientel knows this when they deal with me and there is a huge market for the hiend product. I carry the finest product available which you can see what i carry on my site".

What factors go into designing a system for a club?

"Well room size/dance floor size and acoustics are extreamly important than obviously budget".

What sets your Stereo sound system apart from other clubs audio systems?

"The sound system in Stereo in Montreal Canada is a no holds bared top of the line Analog sound system, we used TAD speakers, Bryston custom built SBS modified Analog cross-overs, these cross-overs where built speacially for the room in Stereo by Bryston, they are all discrete Class A processors, (a class A circuit is the absolute finest circuit that can be used for audio playback),we use Bryston Amps,& we are custom building amps for this system aswell that will be installed & upgraded in the future, the system in Stereo is a no budget restricted sound system that will always be updated and groomed and will never be finished lol, this system was designed By Myself and David Morales we wanted the best listening experience possible and we believe we achieved that. We have also been nominated for many awards for the sound with the new sound system in Stereo".

Your home audio set-up must be pretty special...

"Yeah, i have a club system in my house this is where impliment & try different technolgies first, so i know what to expect before it goes into a club then its modified slightly for the club so it works perfect in a nightclub application".

Tell us something about the Twilo soundsystem that you've never revealed before...

"lol hmmmmmm to much to tell Twilo was a very Good system, But Stereo LOL thats a whole different animal".

What was your initial reaction when you first heard the berthas Twilo Thunder (inspired by the Twilo sound system)?

"They were good, its hard to say because i heard so many systems with the Levan horn/Bertha in them with various versions of the Levan horn/Bertha but they were good".

www.systemsbyshorty.com