Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ecstasy Reports on 48 Hours and MTV Nov. 30th,Thursday

(CBS) Ecstasy, Nov. 30

MTV and CBS News' 48 Hours, in a cooperative project, will each broadcast an hour on the popular drug, Ecstasy. 48 Hours "Ecstasy" and MTV's "True Life: I'm on Ecstasy" will both be broadcast Thursday, Nov. 30 at 8 p.m. ET/PT and 10 p.m. ET/PT respectively. MTV and CBS are both owned by Viacom.

In addition to the two news organizations sharing research and information, the story of a young woman, Sue Stevens, who believes Ecstasy helped her and her terminally ill fiancé cope with his illness is featured in both broadcasts. Also, MTV News' John Norris, who hosts the MTV special, will file a report for 48 Hours on a group that conducts on-the-spot testing of Ecstasy at raves.

"'True Life: I'm on Ecstasy' aims to send a cautionary message that taking Ecstasy is risky," says Dave Sirulnick, executive vice president of news and production at MTV. "Our goal is to educate young people who are either already experimenting with - or debating whether to try - this drug. By working with CBS News, we can reach and inform an even larger audience about this prevalent drug."

"While the two broadcasts have different audiences," says Susan Zirinsky, executive producer, 48 Hours, "both can help educate viewers that Ecstasy can be very dangerous. Whether you're a kid wanting to experiment with it or a parent with a child who might be trying it, you need to know more about it."

Ecstasy, or MDMA, the drug referred to as "happiness in a pill," had been primarily taken at urban rave parties starting in the early 1980s, but its popularity today extends beyond the underground dance scene. In just one year, Drug Enforcement Agency confiscations of Ecstasy entering the United States have increased tenfold - from 1.2 million tablets in 1998 to 12.1 million tablets in 1999. Enthusiasts of the drug say Ecstasy replaces anxiety with pleasure, in effect, acting like an anti-depressant. Adversaries believe, however, the drug is addictive and can cause brain damage.

48 Hours' "Ecstasy," anchored by Dan Rather, examines why this drug is increasing in popularity among adolescents while other drug use is in decline. It also reports on how the federal government views the problem as states toughen laws against dealing Ecstasy. The broadcast includes:

* Correspondent Harold Dow examines how federal and state authorities are toughening up laws against Ecstasy. He talks to Ari, an honor student and community volunteer who was busted in Tallahassee for allegedly dealing Ecstasy and now, under new and tougher Florida laws, he could face a minimum of three years in prison. Jim McDonough, Florida's drug czar, defends the new statute.

* Shari Rich was on an academic scholarship in central Florida, but when she took a pill she thought was Ecstasy, her body temperature soared and she died. Correspondent Troy Roberts reports that Shari is the sixth death in two months in Florida attributed to adulterated Ecstasy. Authorities fear they were part of a bad dose epidemic.

* Katie Stephenson was a beautiful, athletic overachiever. But at age 14, she tried Ecstasy, assuming it was harmless fun. She tells Correspondent Peter Van Sant how Ecstasy became her gateway drug to heroin and cocaine. Thirteen visits to rehab centers later, Katie is counseling other young users to help them kick drugs.

Anchored by John Norris, MTV News' "True Life: I'm on Ecstasy" delves into the lives of four individuals and explores their personal experiences with the drug:

* Lynn is a 22-year-old would-be actress who suffers a psychotic episode after abusing Ecstasy over a two-year period. The broadcast follows her as she tries desperately to pick up the remnants of a broken dream, and start anew, leaving behind old friends, familiar haunts and life-threatening habits.

* Seth is a 22-year-old youth counselor from Oakland, Calif., for whom Ecstasy means self-illumination. Experimenting with the drug at a young age, Seth believes that Ecstasy helped him transform himself from an inwardly drawn, depressed kid into an outgoing, self-confident adult. "True Life: I'm on Ecstasy" shows him and his friends as they take Ecstasy and discuss the drug's powerful influence on their lives, their jobs and the rave culture.

* Doug Jowers, a 23-year-old suburban kid from Scottsdale, Ariz., believes dealing Ecstasy is the smartest way to make a fast buck. A big fish in small pond, Doug enjoys his popularity until he winds up on the front page of the Arizona Star after getting tangled up with reputed mobster Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, in the biggest drug bust in state history.

------------------

maybe someday is when it all stops or maybe someday always comes again...

shadowchaser076@aol.com

Interestingly enough, the users they're citing all had their lives SIGNIFICANTLY influenced by X in a negative way, except for the one token positive case (so that the report can maintain its "objectivity"). I bet they wouldn't want to admit that the vast majority of X users have absolutely normal lives and are productive members of society.

Who the hell would want to watch a segment on how I drag my ass out of bed @ 7am, commute to my job, drink my coffee as I check my email, write some computer code, surf the web, BS at lunch with coworkers, write more code, commute home, eat dinner with my wife, watch tv, get some nookie, sleep, and repeat my routine...all while managing to pay my taxes on time.

Yawn!!! Pass the remote...I think they're showing gerbils fuck on the Discovery Channel.

------------------

translucent_binary.gif

Archived