Clubplanet Nightlife Community

INVegas Magazine Interviews Ariel Moses "DJ MOE".

arielmoses

This Issue: A DJs Perspective of Vegas: DJ MOE

Coming Next Issue: The Music Issue of INVEGAS Magazine featuring EXCLUSIVE stories on Darude, Carl Bell (FUEL), and complete coverage of the WMCs in Miami. Make sure you are subscribed to hear it first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A DJs Perspective of Vegas: DJ MOE

DJ Moe is an up and coming DJ to the Las Vegas Area who came in 3rd place while participating in the Battle of the DJ’s at ICE, which was filmed for Spike TV's reality show “The Clubâ€. DJ Moe is currently playing on a roster at Relax (after hours at Alexis Park) and Risque. What a tech world we live in too, Moe and I conducted this interview via Instant Messaging at 4:30 am one morning (1:30am Vegas time). Insane, isn't it?

VE! Who is DJMOE and what makes you different than others?

MOE: I try to take extra steps and put some sweat equity into my work by creating my own events as well. I like to be proactive and not just wait for things to pop up. Some of the events are VegasAfter1O parties, Fremont Records events at Live and Sessions, and the PS2 Tour. Also, my label, Sounds Fresh, hosted the Respect Tour in NoCal (Salinas, Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Frisco. San Jose).

VE!: How did you get started?

MOE: Working with DJs such as Alex Reez (who got me into playing records back in 1998), Jesse Gonzales, Scott Stubbs, Household Recordings and Mark Kane have helped me reach another level. It’s tough for new talent to get exposure in Vegas, most promoters are not necessarily about the music, especially coming from a new guy. They are more about name recognition. Drives me crazy when others just kiss ass too. I like to stay pure to the music, but find the balance.

VE!: Explain the current DJ scene as an insider.

MOE: So many DJs sell us all short by going around the country and accepting 50 bucks just to play, with no experience whatsoever on stimulating the crowd or how if affects us all. Sometimes it gives the experienced artists no chance. They don’t care what happens to the industry, as long as they get paid to play records. Top 40 is played because it’s familiar. This is why commercial top 40s have taken over most clubs in the past few years. Come on, my 6 year old nephew can do that! Reality is it fills the floor sometimes, but pushing it to the next level is an art. Trying to define what course to take, most DJs struggle between spinning new sounds and repeatedly dropping those familiar dance floor-filling tunes. The music culture has changed.

VE!: So much of a great club night is dependant on the DJ and the sounds they put out there. How do maintain balance of creativity and popularity?

MOE: What ever happened to those great club nights? I am trying to keep my own style and bring new flavors to the table, while still listening to what the others are playing. I really enjoy playing sounds with drums and tribal stuff. Of course, if you get me into a club and start feeding me drinks (bring me that TOKYO TEA baby!), I may be inspired to break through the mold and play something you don’t expect.

VE!: What are you currently working on?

MOE: I’m currently working with some great DJs and Vegasafter10.com has opened the

doors for me to be featured at some of their events as well as their radio show (Saturdays, 1-5pm pst). Awhile ago Scott Stubbs from Nokturnel gave me the opportunity to be one of their featured DJs at “Lust†for Friday night After Hours at OBA Lounge (House of Blues - Mandalay Bay). Right now, I am working Risque on Sundays and playing " RELAX ", at 375 at the Alexis Park on Fridays at 3am and Saturdays at 4am. Come and Chillax at the Newest Afterhours in Las Vegas.

VE!: Have your spun in any other cities?

MOE: I have some following in Arizona and Northern California, but in Vegas, I'm just another DJ trying to make a living. Keep it real, keep it underground!

More info on DJ Moe:

www.djmoe.djcentral.com

For bookings: 702.266.3879, 702.737.6924 or ArielMoses@hotmail.com

Original Interview can be seen here: http://www.tradeshowcities.com/invegas_music.htm

I met and partied with DJ Moe @ ICE on one of his "off" nights. This guy knows his music and knows how to party!

Keep up the beats, Moe!

Moe, My next trip to Vegas I will FO SHIZO be at either OBA (late Fiday) or Risque on Sunday night.

If you know DJ Slip @ Risque, tel him Ed said whasup! He's an old buddy from back in the days.