Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Joined the Gym - Gained Weight

keyies

Ok, so I gained a few pounds (5) and decided to go back to the gym. Since the only thing I know how to do at the gym is cardio I decided to get a trainer because

1- I have no clue what I'm doing or how to use the machines

2- Because I heard strength training along with cardio burns more fat.

After training 3 times a week with the trainer (we do circuit training) and doing cardio two other days I have GAINED 3 pounds! I do not understand how this is possible - I have revamped my eating habits eating 5 small healthy meals (mind you I use to eat junk food all the time). I asked the trainer but he wants to keep me as a client so I'm not sure if he lied - I know muscle weighs more than fat but 3 pounds? Plus I can't see any results - how long do I have to wait.

Thanks

how long have u been training for?

when do u weigh yourself?

muscle definetlyyyyyyyyy weighs more than fat. but if you're not seeing any results esp after 2 weeks, maybe it is your diet. you might be eating 5 small meals - but of what?

If you want to lose 1 pound of fat, u need to burn approx 2500 calories. you can safely lose 1-2 pounds a week on a cardio + strength training plan - about 30 min 3x a week. The easiest way to acheive this is to create a calorie deficit of 500 per day thru exercise and meal management.

Ex. lets say u burn 250-350 calories in each workout. that means u only need to cut 150-250 calories from ur daily diet in order to lose 1 pound a week. to lose 2 pounds a week, u'll need to create a calorie deficit of 650-750 a day from ur diet.

most importantly, make sure this is a lifestyle change, not a quick diet b/c once u go back to eating normally, u'll gain it all back!!!!!! so pick somethign that doable and stick w/it.

Figure out # of calories you need to maintain your current weight, then reduce that # by 500 calories a day to figure out your goal intake for losing weight (source: shape)

1. your weight in pounds___ /2.2 = "A"

2. your height in inches ___* 2.54 = "B"

3. 0.6* "A" = "C"

4. 1.8* "B" = "D"

5. 4.7* your age in years__ = "E"

6. 655 + C +D - E = "F" <--RMR (resting metabolic rate)

7. pick one of the below and multiply it by your RMR above = "G"

7a. sedentary (little to no activity) = 1.2

7b. Slightly active (light exercise 1-3 days/week) = 1.375

7c. moderately active (3-5 days a week, sport) = 1.55

7d. very active (strenuous exercise 6-7 days/wk) = 1.725

8. G -500 = ___ <-- this is the minimum # of calories u need each day to lose 1 pound a week.

Thanks for your reply. I do want to make it a lifetime change and I was excited & felt good, however, dissapointed with the results after 4 weeks. I guess I'll keep on going & see what happens after 4 weeks...

I would not freak out... You gained 5 lbs... Started training and gained 3lbs... You never know. You could be retaining water.

Lower your sodium intake. Up your proteins and lower you carbs.

Try to drink nothing but water. That helps flush the system.

Have you ever tried Cardio mixing high intensity and low intensity?

Example - Warm up 5 to 10 minutes walking - Up the pace to a stead run for 2 minutes - walk for 2 minutes - run for 2 minutes - continue to repeat this for the alloted time you are on a tread mill. You can do this on any piece of cardio equipment... It is one of the most proven ways to burn...

Personally I see no need for a trainer for more than a few days if you are completely new to weights. After that they are useless in my eyes. Once you know the basics... You will quickly learn how to change things up. Who knows your body more than you? No one.

Do not go by your weight. Go by how you look in the mirror. How your clothes are fitting, and how you feel. The scale can be your worst enemy. It is inches you want to lose. Not always the Lbs. Especially when you don't have much to lose.

Also weigh yourself in the morning not in the evening. And continue to always weigh yourself at the same time. Your body weight fluctuates during the day. And you way the most in the evening than you do in the morning.

During the night your body uses up its stored resources while you sleep to feed its muscles etc... At night you have just finished at least 3 meals. So of course you will be heavier.

Anything else... I am sure someone will point more things out. Hope this was of some help.

Oh and most important... If what you are doing now is not working. And your trainer keeps you on the same program. I would fire him. Personally I would switch it up!

dont worry

u gained muscles and muscles weigh more than fat

Ok, so I gained a few pounds (5) and decided to go back to the gym. Since the only thing I know how to do at the gym is cardio I decided to get a trainer because

After training 3 times a week with the trainer (we do circuit training) and doing cardio two other days I have GAINED 3 pounds! I do not understand how this is possible - I have revamped my eating habits eating 5 small healthy meals (mind you I use to eat junk food all the time). I asked the trainer but he wants to keep me as a client so I'm not sure if he lied - I know muscle weighs more than fat but 3 pounds? Plus I can't see any results - how long do I have to wait.

Thanks

Thanks

either one of two things... a. muscle weighs more than fat, so you mayve gained muscle mass... b. your trainer is shit and doesnt know anything and the club is just using him to reel in noobs...

send a PM to fineones here on cp, hell set you straight and most likely for a better rate and better results than your current guy is giving you...

Look in the mirror, not the scale.

absolutely... if youre compulsively looking in the mirror youll never really notice anything... but if you must then do measurements so you can actually see the gains/losses.

• 4 weeks later...

Figure out # of calories you need to maintain your current weight, then reduce that # by 500 calories a day to figure out your goal intake for losing weight (source: shape)

1. your weight in pounds___ /2.2 = "A"

2. your height in inches ___* 2.54 = "B"

3. 0.6* "A" = "C"

4. 1.8* "B" = "D"

5. 4.7* your age in years__ = "E"

6. 655 + C +D - E = "F" <--RMR (resting metabolic rate)

7. pick one of the below and multiply it by your RMR above = "G"

7a. sedentary (little to no activity) = 1.2

7b. Slightly active (light exercise 1-3 days/week) = 1.375

7c. moderately active (3-5 days a week, sport) = 1.55

7d. very active (strenuous exercise 6-7 days/wk) = 1.725

8. G -500 = ___ <-- this is the minimum # of calories u need each day to lose 1 pound a week.

what? by this calculation i should be eating 1100 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week?