Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Internet Dating??

headpusher

as a frmr techie...i can say this, online chatting or dating is a medium..nothing more nothing less...you meet someone at a gym or school, thats another medium...with the deep penetration of the internet in the american household, the online medium is easier and convienient....

its like online shopping, you can buys goods in a market, now that market is on your PC! just like that online dating is a market availalble for you on your finger tips.

I dont think you can extrapulate anything about the characterstics of people using the online medium to reachout to others. just like you all are chatting on this message board....you could be talking with someone in your office or school etc....you cant pschycoanalyze like that.

take for example your typical bar/social event scene, people normally show-up all dressed up and put on an act to attract attention, similarly I see people get professional picutres taken for their online protofolio.

As an investment banker in the technology area, online dating represents an ever growing segment of e-commerce. the upside potential for online dating is simply huge. The amount of money involved in mind blowing....Yahoo is a major player and has $180 million projected revenues from their online dating product.

Companies like google seriously lack such products and are looking to accquire some of the eharmonies.com or match.com of the world to beef-up their protofolio. If google is looking to invest over $250million in its soon to launch dating service, you better be assured that online dating is becoming very popular and probably sooner or later you might be tempted to follow the crowd.

that's still a short time....

as a frmr techie...i can say this, online chatting or dating is a medium..nothing more nothing less...you meet someone at a gym or school, thats another medium...with the deep penetration of the internet in the american household, the online medium is easier and convienient....

its like online shopping, you can buys goods in a market, now that market is on your PC! just like that online dating is a market availalble for you on your finger tips.

I dont think you can extrapulate anything about the characterstics of people using the online medium to reachout to others. just like you all are chatting on this message board....you could be talking with someone in your office or school etc....you cant pschycoanalyze like that.

take for example your typical bar/social event scene, people normally show-up all dressed up and put on an act to attract attention, similarly I see people get professional picutres taken for their online protofolio.

As an investment banker in the technology area, online dating represents an ever growing segment of e-commerce. the upside potential for online dating is simply huge. The amount of money involved in mind blowing....Yahoo is a major player and has $180 million projected revenues from their online dating product.

Companies like google seriously lack such products and are looking to accquire some of the eharmonies.com or match.com of the world to beef-up their protofolio. If google is looking to invest over $250million in its soon to launch dating service, you better be assured that online dating is becoming very popular and probably sooner or later you might be tempted to follow the crowd.

i don't like to follow......:bounce:

well..then, lead the way....as they say follow the money...if you do that it is clear that online dating is becoming popular...

maybe so....but it's not for me. i prefer to meet and decide who i want to date.....i'm better at assessing people in person....:)

The funniest thing is Lavalife by phone...have you guys seen those cheesy commercials where they just focus on some chick's breasts and she's like, "It's Saturday night, and me and my friends are going to stay in and talk to guys on LavaLife by Phone." Righttt...I can only imagine how many serial killers and weird ppl frequent this dating medium...

say what you wanna say but when i have kids i don't wanna sit them on my lap and tell them the story of how daddy met mommy...on the internet.

yeah youd rather tell them you were high or drunk in a club and your relationship blossomed after a one night stand...

maybe for you... but thats seven years to a dog...

its actually the other way around...1 dog yr. == 7 human yrs. :laugh:

anyway back to the topic...i also think fresinha has an interesting point. companies wouldn't be spending millions of dollars on something that was totally useless. that said, it doesn't mean that dating services work...obviously these corporations are not in it to see that you as a person find your ideal soulmate and will live a happy life with them without ever getting divorced, all they care abt is that you keep renewing your monthly subscription and keep looking!

so when you come to think of it, it's against their interest that you'd actually find any one 'mate'...they'd rather have you keep looking for mates, which is why adultfriendfinder is so damn successful!!

btw, in california alone, there's sumthing like 50,000 registered female members and over 650,000 registered male members...so if you're a guy looking to get lucky, the odds are definitely against you.

i for one still prefer meeting chix in person...there's just something abt the thrill of walking up to a hot bitch and getting her number...calling her and then getting closer...stuff that i could never get online!

Guest gabo
yeah youd rather tell them you were high or drunk in a club and your relationship blossomed after a one night stand...
lmao!

meeting someone in person makes it easier to assess them....I think if they have a picture of the unibomber or David Berkowitz, it might raise a red flag or 2....maybe..I dunno

true... but (just for the sake of argument) wont u be able to asses them the first time u meet them offline?

if the person is nothing like he/she acted online cant u just leave?...