attn spragga...

fkornre

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jolly? Huh?

When?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2042190

Continuing a whirlwind flurry of wheeling-and-dealing, the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday evening achieved their goal of securing a first-round draft choice, by trading veteran tight end Doug Jolley to the New York Jets.

In exchange for Jolley, who started 26 games in three seasons, the Raiders received the Jets' first-round choice, the 26th pick overall. Oakland had been without a first-rounder, having traded it to Minnesota as part of the package to acquire wide receiver Randy Moss from the Vikings.

In addition to Jolley, the Jets got a second-round pick this year, the 47th selection overall, and a pair of sixth-round picks. The Raiders also got a seventh-round pick from the Jets. Oakland still owns its own second-round pick, the 38th overall. The second-rounder sent to the Jets was acquired from Houston on Tuesday night in a deal that sent former first-round cornerback Phillip Buchanon to the Texans.

There have been rumors for several days that the Raiders were accumulating extra picks in an effort to use them as bargaining chips for a foray back into the first round. There had also been rumblings that Oakland was shopping Jolley -- who, like Buchanon fell out of favor with the coaching staff -- in trade discussions.

New York officials have been attempting for months to bolster the tight end position. The Jets signed restricted free agent Jeb Putzier to an offer sheet last month, but Denver kept the three-year veteran by matching the five-year deal. Anthony Becht, the Jets' starter for the past four seasons, defected to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an unrestricted free agent.

The most experienced tight end on the Jets' roster, before adding Jolley, was Chris Baker. But the three-year veteran, a third-round choice in 2002, has started just one game and posted only 34 receptions.

Jolley, 26, was the Raiders' second-round selection in 2002, and the former Brigham Young standout had 90 catches for 972 yards and five touchdowns in 47 appearances for the Raiders. Forty-five of his receptions resulted in first downs. His best season was his rookie campaign, in which he posted 32 catches for 409 yards and two touchdowns, despite starting only three games.

trading a first round pick for a tight end that can only catch the ball at best....????

come on now

even if they did get a second rounder in return, a tight end is not worth that type of pick

think about it for a sec....the Pats got Corey Dillon for a second round pick........all pro running back for a second round pick versus a 4th year tight end that caught a couple short passes in a west coast offense for a first round pick

sorry but the more things change the more things stay the same

trading a first round pick for a tight end that can only catch the ball at best....????

come on now

even if they did get a second rounder in return, a tight end is not worth that type of pick

think about it for a sec....the Pats got Corey Dillon for a second round pick........all pro running back for a second round pick versus a 4th year tight end that caught a couple short passes in a west coast offense for a first round pick

Don't forget that Dillon wanted out bad from Cincy...it was a damn steal that they only gave up a 2nd for him...*curses*

Jets wanted someone that could start immediately and they aren't sold on Baker or any of the TE's in the draft (or at least pay 1st round $$ for one). Can't really blame them - TE isn't the difference maker these days...I can't even name one of the 50 TE's that caught TD's for your team lol...and that team finished decent right?

come on now

They weren't sold on Miller with the 26th pick. He was by far the best TE available in the draft. Their next need is a CB, but the CB's that are available at 26 are comparable to the ones that will be around when they do pick. Also Jolley is signed for 3 years at about 500k per so it's not costing them much. I'm not crazy about it either but it's not terrible either...

yo spragga...i spoke for a few mins to woody, he did not want to talk about the jets...he thinks everytime they are brought up we want tixs (u would think since we work for his name we would but we dont get any)...so i didnt find out anything...

i don't blame the guy...you are a Jew so he's prob figuring you're looking for some type of hand out

excellent point...i am...but in the 5 years i have known him i never once asked for tix...the only thing i did ask to see is the bike that the guys at OCC did for him...

but to my credit i dont wear my "jew" on the outside so i dont think he knows i am one...i usually dont have to wear my star on my sleeve at work...only afterhours...

excellent point...i am...but in the 5 years i have known him i never once asked for tix...the only thing i did ask to see is the bike that the guys at OCC did for him...

but to my credit i dont wear my "jew" on the outside so i dont think he knows i am one...i usually dont have to wear my star on my sleeve at work...only afterhours...

omg thats terrible