Clubplanet Nightlife Community

young girls & steroids

TRENTON, New Jersey (AP) -- An alarming number of American girls, some as young as 9, are using bodybuilding steroids -- not necessarily to get an edge on the playing field, but to get the toned, sculpted look of models and movie stars, experts say.

Girls are getting their hands on the same dangerous testosterone pills, shots and creams that have created a scandal in Major League Baseball and other sports. Often, these are the same girls who have eating disorders, according to some research.

"There's been a substantial increase for girls during the 1990s, and it's at an all-time high right now," said Charles Yesalis, a professor of health and human development at Pennsylvania State University.

Lloyd Johnston, a University of Michigan professor who heads an annual government-sponsored survey on risky behavior by young people, said: "Other than pedophilia, this is the most secret behavior I've ever encountered."

Overall, up to about 5 percent of high school girls and 7 percent of middle-school girls admit trying anabolic steroids at least once, with use of rising steadily since 1991, various government and university studies have shown.

Researchers say that most girls are using steroids to get bigger and stronger on the playing field, and they attribute some of the increase in steroid use to girls' rising participation in sports. But plenty of other girls are using steroids to give themselves a slightly muscular look, they say.

"With young women, you see them using it more as a weight control and body fat reduction" method, said Jeff Hoerger, who runs the staff counseling program at Rutgers University in New Jersey.

In the past couple of years, he has helped two young women using steroids -- one an 11th-grader with "an average figure" whose swimmer friend suggested steroids would help with weight loss. "She was just looking for quick results," Hoerger said.

The sports medicine division at the Oregon Health and Science University found that two-thirds of Oregon high school girls who admitted using steroids were not athletes and that girls who were considering taking steroids had tried other, risky ways to get thin.

"They were more likely to have eating disorders and to abuse diuretics, amphetamines and laxatives," said Dr. Linn Goldberg, head of the division.

In teenage girls, the side effects from taking male sex hormones can include severe acne, smaller breasts, deeper voice, irregular periods, excess facial and body hair, depression, paranoia and the fits of anger dubbed "roid rage." Steroids also carry higher risks of heart attack, stroke and some forms of cancer.

Researchers say youngsters generally get illegal anabolic steroids on the black market from relatives or friends, from the local gym and over the Internet. At least one study indicates some parents and coaches supply steroids to teen athletes.

Dr. Eric Small, chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics' committee on sports medicine, said adults should gently ask youngsters about possible steroid use.

"Talking about supplements and steroids needs to start in the third grade," Small said. "If you wait till ninth grade, it's too late."

Guest onisakura

I think it stems from them already looking older than we did at that age......my sister is 14 and is almost 5 inches taller than me. I look at boys that age and freak out because they did NOT look like that when i was a kid. When you look older, people tend to treat you older yet they don't have the responsability to know that what they are doing is harmful or even to care.

right on brother

Thanks i would also add that too many girls say there fat when they are perfectly fine and its starting to piss me off. I dont want a girl that keeps saying shes fat all the time when we eat or when she gets depressed, hence why i am still single. I mean these girls are under avg. and still say there fat. sorry for the rant but these girls are 18-23

media and magazines play a big part in how young girls think. some of these girls see the models in the magazines and video girls and want to be just like them. Parents are becoming younger and more liberal, also. i have a coworker that let her 12 year old get her belly button pierced, but would be mad, she said, if she came home pregnant. WTF!!! she even lets her wear thongs!! :jawdrop:

i'm a young parent, but i don't condone bullshit. if you wear a thong, you need to do all it implies. since when is a 12-year-old supposed to be sexy???

Guest onisakura
media and magazines play a big part in how young girls think. some of these girls see the models in the magazines and video girls and want to be just like them. Parents are becoming younger and more liberal, also. i have a coworker that let her 12 year old get her belly button pierced, but would be mad, she said, if she came home pregnant. WTF!!! she even lets her wear thongs!! :jawdrop:

i'm a young parent, but i don't condone bullshit. if you wear a thong, you need to do all it implies. since when is a 12-year-old supposed to be sexy???

I totally agree. My sister was stealing my thongs when i lived at home briefly. She was 13. First of all its unsanitary AND its just wrong. So instead of flipping out like my mother did, i had to wheel and deal with her. I told her that id take her shopping for underwear when she turned 14 and THEN she'd be allowed to wear them.....but i also got her to like boy shorts more.

yea and a lot of other problems besides steroids with girls is anerexia and bullimia. To me, it is such a turn off. I mean throwing up just to look good? id rather date a healthy fat chick

I totally agree. My sister was stealing my thongs when i lived at home briefly. She was 13. First of all its unsanitary AND its just wrong. So instead of flipping out like my mother did, i had to wheel and deal with her. I told her that id take her shopping for underwear when she turned 14 and THEN she'd be allowed to wear them.....but i also got her to like boy shorts more.

Good point. Boyshorts can be sexy and cute. I'm an only child, but little sisters do love to raid closets don't they??? :)

i dunno if anyone saw the tonight show with jay leno but he talked about young girls and steroids on his show

heard previews of it, but fell asleep before it came on. seems like this will be a hot topic for a while. about the anorexia and bilemia: everyone goes through an "awkward" stage about 10-14 years of age. not quite developed, voice changes, growth spurts, etc. throwing up after you eat is not a kick ass weight plan, but some people believe it is, especially young girls. Again seeing the models and watching the videos or maybe if they get picked on in school because of the way they look makes them think its okay and they will actually look like what they see. The models went through the awkward stage too. maybe if schools implemented programs about self esteem through the counselors and the parents carried the info over at home, the girls who feel the need to do this to look "pretty" would go a different direction.

OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE PART OF HEALTH. I AM NOT FROM WHERE YOU ARE. I BASE MY OPINIONS ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. IT WAS NEVER MENTIONED WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL AND THE SCHOOLS NOW HAVE CUT DOWN ON ALL EXTRACURRICULAR CLASSES INCLUDING P.E. AND HEALTH. SO.......DOWN HERE IT'S NOT TAUGHT AS A PART OF ELEMENTARY OR HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION. DON'T GET SMART WITH ME..WE CAN TAKE IT BACK TO THE DRAMA BOARD, SHAWTY.. :cuss:

yeah but where is a 9 yr old girl getting the dough to buy clen? Also where is her hookup, you can get it online but I doube a 9yr old has a credit card...

I call BS scare on this story, just makes zero sense... they say cream also, yeah like a 13 yr old is crushing and making fina... dont buy it