Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Audioslave To Rock Cuba

funketeer

peace out chris cornell you have the best voice in rock period

I hope Elian digs Audioslave. That would so rock if he went to their show and stuff...and they take pics for the press......Elian rocks it hard wirh Audioslave! Yeah!

From the Miami Herald ...

CUBA

U.S. rockers Audioslave put on landmark show

More than 3,000 Cubans thronged to hear the group Audioslave play in what was billed as the first outdoor concert by a U.S. rock band in the island nation's history.

BY JOHN RICE

Associated Press

HAVANA - The American group Audioslave broke decades-long barriers with a thundering concert before thousands of Cuban fans -- who knocked over barriers to get closer to the first U.S. rock band to play an outdoor concert in Cuba.

Chris Cornell's scream -- ''I won't do what you tell me!'' -- boomed off the high-rise apartment buildings on the south side of the stage Friday night as feedback shrieks from Tom Morello's guitar drifted into the night breeze over the Caribbean to the north.

''This is the best thing that has happened here this year,'' said 25-year-old rock fan Omar Juanes.

''The best thing in your life,'' shouted a nearby friend who darted back into a crowd of more than 3,000 people -- many with dreadlocks, body piercings and tattoos. A few swooped around the edges of the crowd on roller blades.

It was a distinct difference from the orderly, clean-cut crowds who marched in massive anti-U.S. protests along the Malecon waterfront at the same venue: the José Martí Anti-Imperialist Tribunal before the U.S. Interests Section, or diplomatic mission.

Even before the concert, hundreds of fans were so eager that they sent metal security barricades clanging to the pavement and rushed forward to fill a 50-yard long area that had been reserved for special guests -- mostly workers and teachers with exemplary official records.

Police allowed the fans to stay in the invaded space, and several joked with tattooed youths in Metallica T-shirts swigging rum.

U.S. travel restrictions on Cuba and the Cuban government's ambivalence toward rock music have limited visits by U.S. rockers to Cuba.

Officials often cite Billy Joel's 1979 indoor performance as a rock 'n' roll landmark here.

But elemental grunge, thrash and metal are the most popular styles of rock on an island rich in its own complex, polyrhythmic popular music.

Audioslave had the whole crowd screaming and dancing when it went back to its frantic, pounding, grungy roots, but left those in the back merely toe-tapping to some of the newer, less-frantic songs.

''We would like to have stronger music -- bands like Metallica,'' said a gaunt man sitting with friends who gave his name as Walter Delgado, 32. Even so, 'We are happy for the first time in our rock 'n' roll history.''

pffft.....not even his song.....

you should give Audioslave a chance, listen to the record...I know nothing will ever comare to RATM, still...Audioslave is a great band, compared to all the bullshit that's out there...to hear Chris Cornel sing is better than to have him shoot heroin at a Malibu mansion, at least the guy is out there rockin; it out in full form and perfect health...not like Scott Weiland, which is also singing with the orphans GNR's or Lainey Stanley who's not around any longer...as far as Pearl Jam goes, I lost track of their records since Vitalogy...and Foo Fighters gives you the chance to hear Grohl on drums on his recortd...right now, the only insteresting bands out there that deserve attention are Mars Volta, System of Down and Queen of the Stone Age....the rest is just pastiches or hybrids made up from veterans from disloved bands...so, why not give Audioslave a chance...trust me, it's an aquired taste...I still don't buy then fully, but to play Cuba is a trascendentally historic event and for that, I salute them.

Meng the purist attacks again!!! :biggrin:

BTW. THE DRUIDS ROCK!!! :beer: