Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Stronger Lower body = Bigger Upper body ?

mursa

..I know i've read some say that working out the legs/lower body , actually benefits one in gaining size/definition in the upper body ..

.. why is that ?

I myself have found that by working out my lower body (2 times a week) , i have seen better upper body results even though I cut my upper body workout days from 3 to 2 times a week .

Because your quadricepts are the largest muscle group in your entire body. Stimulating them will cause more of natural release of GH than working out any other muscle group. Get those squats and deadlifts in for total body development.

Since my jym is wack i have to use dumbells but all the same in away. But yes your body grows better and bigger as a whole not piece by piece. Also when you work out sometimes you use other areas of energy to help you.

Squats are key. Your body will grow the most from squats, not just your legs. Free form that is, no smith machine or hack squats.

I can't do squats since it usually messes up my neck and or lower back ,,,and therefore i don't risk doing them nowadays .... i do the squat machine though.

..im more or less doing everything else , leg curls , extensions , calves etc and i also have incorportated some Spinning classes which for me are a great way to incorportate Cardio & Legs into a single intense workout.

Im happy in my progress ...6'3 and 225lbs at the moment , nice solid build ..... hope that by august/september i'll be in tip top shape . :)

What has been said above is correct.

But, it is even more simple than that. The human body (Or any bilaterally symetrical body planned organism) has the "desire" or need to be symetrical to a certain degree. Millions of years of evolution have favored bilateral symmetry. So, lets say a person only does left arm bicep curls. What will happen is that the left arm will not grow as much as it should, but at the same time the right arm will get signals to grow - so as to maintain a certain body symmetry.

The same goes for lower vs. upper body. If you want a large upper body, you must also work legs - PERIOD.

Nautica

What has been said above is correct.

But, it is even more simple than that. The human body (Or any bilaterally symetrical body planned organism) has the "desire" or need to be symetrical to a certain degree. Millions of years of evolution have favored bilateral symmetry. So, lets say a person only does left arm bicep curls. What will happen is that the left arm will not grow as much as it should, but at the same time the right arm will get signals to grow - so as to maintain a certain body symmetry.

The same goes for lower vs. upper body. If you want a large upper body, you must also work legs - PERIOD.

Nautica

interesting and completly makes sense .

• 4 weeks later...

hey

i thought you were a big soccer player....what happened? no soccer?

you build your legs playing soccer..but seriously, I noticed the samething when I started working my legs...

I can't do squats since it usually messes up my neck and or lower back ,,,and therefore i don't risk doing them nowadays .... i do the squat machine though.

..im more or less doing everything else , leg curls , extensions , calves etc and i also have incorportated some Spinning classes which for me are a great way to incorportate Cardio & Legs into a single intense workout.

Im happy in my progress ...6'3 and 225lbs at the moment , nice solid build ..... hope that by august/september i'll be in tip top shape . :)

hey

i thought you were a big soccer player....what happened? no soccer?

you build your legs playing soccer..but seriously, I noticed the samething when I started working my legs...

Havent played soccer ever since my college days ...

..and the ironic part is that when i played soccer i didnt lift weights much ..

...and in soccer i always had my legs toned and strong but never "bulky" like some .

But now since im lifting weights in conjunction with adding a leg workout regime (twice every week) ...im noticing really nice changes ..

6'3 and 230lbs @ the time . can't complain .

I havent played soccer since I began working my legs, a lil over a year and a half.....got to check out if I pickedup any strength...lets see how good a striker I can be...

Havent played soccer ever since my college days ...

..and the ironic part is that when i played soccer i didnt lift weights much ..

...and in soccer i always had my legs toned and strong but never "bulky" like some .

But now since im lifting weights in conjunction with adding a leg workout regime (twice every week) ...im noticing really nice changes ..

6'3 and 230lbs @ the time . can't complain .

...bro, throw in some pilate classes, a sun dress and some lipstick and you will be the toast of east village !! WTF are you doing ?? if you got a weak back, see one of those fake doctors...aka... chiropractor and get some back support/aid....

...listen, you can do some serious leg and back workout with optimum results using a belt....who in the world is your trainer??.... a "Curves" employee ?? :confused:

. :)

Squats are best. If they mess with your neck and lower back I can almost guarantee you your form is wrong. Try using lighter weights and make sure your form is correct. When you become stronger and have the correct form there should be no reason to mess up your neck or lower back. When in doubt ask a trainer with BIG legs to watch your form.

...bro, throw in some pilate classes, a sun dress and some lipstick and you will be the toast of east village !! WTF are you doing ?? if you got a weak back, see one of those fake doctors...aka... chiropractor and get some back support/aid....

...listen, you can do some serious leg and back workout with optimum results using a belt....who in the world is your trainer??.... a "Curves" employee ?? :confused:

:lol3:

Thanks for your concern Tony Little , but i really wasnt looking for persuasive arguments on why i should do "traditional squats" ...

...fact is I do squat type motion excersices and im happy with my progress . :hat: