Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Pulled a Hammy

At practice last Thursday I pulled my Hamstring.

We were running and I guess I didn't warm up enough. All of a sudden I felt this POP in my left Hamstring and that was all she wrote.

It is much better now (5 days later) but every now and then, I still get a twinge when I step the wrong way.

My question is,

Have any of you ever pulled a Hammy?

If so, how long did you wait before you started stretching and working it again.

The trainer told me to stay off it over the weekend but I wanted to hit the gym tonight.

What do you think...

i pulled my hamstring in college - 1/4 of the way into season for lacrosse. i never let it properly heal b/c i had play in a crucial game coming up. so i went to practice but didn't do much. but i did play in the games. anwyay, b/c i never let my leg fully heal, it always bothered for the rest of the season. if i were you, i'd let it properly heal first. you can always go to the gym and do other exercises...

I want to start stretching it but I was told not to at first. I need to be 100% by game time next this weekend.

I worry about creating a situation similar to what Clubbingirl had where it never really heals until the end of the season.

hope its a strain or micro tear as opposed to a full rupture. i would assume if it was a full blown rupture you would be on the ground crying right after it happened and would wish you were dead..seen one of those, NOT pretty

ive pulled my hamstring before in football and soccer. I usually wrapped it up and was light on it for a few days and increased the amount of abuse i put into it. i have a high pain tolerence so...

i would use a compression bandage or heat retainer until you feel no pain and also look online for some massage ideas to help it heal faster. anti inflammatory drugs (aspirin) wont hurt either...

you should def be seeing your trainer DAILY!!!!!!!!!!!!

i went daily to get stretched and to ice for the swelling and to heat right before a game. you're not suppose to take advil or anything during a game (cause you could really hurt yoruself and not feel it), but i did it anyway.

also you should be eating right so that the healing process goes faster.

you should def be seeing your trainer DAILY!!!!!!!!!!!!

i went daily to get stretched and to ice for the swelling and to heat right before a game. you're not suppose to take advil or anything during a game (cause you could really hurt yoruself and not feel it), but i did it anyway.

also you should be eating right so that the healing process goes faster.

Doubled the Protein intake.

The trainer is all the way in NJ so I don't make the trip from L.I.

I'm hittin the gym tonight so I'll see how it feels.

As far as Advil, I live on the during the season. The old joints get a lil sore now a days...

Doubled the Protein intake.

The trainer is all the way in NJ so I don't make the trip from L.I.

I'm hittin the gym tonight so I'll see how it feels.

hmmm, well, i'd wear compression shorts if you don't bandage it during the gym and for your game. don't work out too hard - a slow long jog might help loosen it up? i guess dpeending on how it feels. also, i wouldn't take advil when u go to the gym. dont forget to take the time to stretch before and after.

goodluck in healing.

As far as Advil, I live on the during the season. The old joints get a lil sore now a days...

you may want to look at taking glucosamine for your joints. I started it about 2 months ago and its working wonders.

i dont see what the big hoopla is over taking advil\aspirin before working out..its a low end drug compared to a 800mg motrin or something similar.

i dont see what the big hoopla is over taking advil\aspirin before working out..its a low end drug compared to a 800mg motrin or something similar.

i guess it depends on the body type. (ex. if i drink anything w/caffine tea, coke, coffee, i have a hard time sleeping at night)

so my coaches in college didn't want us taking advil for practices b/c if we were hurting ourselves during a practice, but couldn't feel it...more damage than good was being done. [but thats just my experience]

i guess it depends on the body type. (ex. if i drink anything w/caffine tea, coke, coffee, i have a hard time sleeping at night)

so my coaches in college didn't want us taking advil for practices b/c if we were hurting ourselves during a practice, but couldn't feel it...more damage than good was being done. [but thats just my experience]

What sport did ya play in college?

just curious

You did to a point...but ur gettin a scholarship though...if u suck or get seriously injured they can yank it.

I dont think so... I got a scholarship, and if I ever got injured to the point that I couldnt play again I wouldnt expect shit from them... but would never consider D-III "fun".. but whatever

I dont think so... I got a scholarship, and if I ever got injured to the point that I couldnt play again I wouldnt expect shit from them... but would never consider D-III "fun".. but whatever

I know I got a scholarship too and competed against D-III schools sometimes...I know that personally I wouldn't do it cause a scholarship paid the bills. Unless it was a top flight D-III program, I probably would've never competed in one.

Guest onisakura

Ive pulled a hammy, when i used to work quads too much and not enough hamstrings. You have to work them equally is what ive always heard.

As for stretching, id stay off it for a couple days then start a little static stretching.

"Muscle stiffness is believed to be directly related to muscle injury risk, and so it is important to reduce muscle stiffness as part of a warm-up. Force relaxation refers to the decrease in peak force produced by the muscle when it is stretched to the end of its range. After holding a stretch for some time the peak force relaxes, which helps the muscle move further."

Hope that helps. I stretch between every set I do, and a complete stretching warmup and cooldown. Otherwise I am very prone to pulling muscles and dislocating joints.

You did to a point...but ur gettin a scholarship though...if u suck or get seriously injured they can yank it.

been there done that..lost a full ride to CU Boulder for football due to an undiagnosed heart condition that lead to heart surgery when I was 19.

"medical liability"

fuckin sucked.