Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mobile DJs

djaparz

i used the Mackie 450's a few times with another company that i do side work for - but i am worried if the amp goes out in the speaker then i am stuck with one speaker...

atleast if i use passive speakers and on side of my amp goes out i can use two speakers on one side or use my back up amp...

Am i able to hook a powered speaker up to a regular power amp?

Thats the problem with powered speakers, I always keep a 3rd in my truck just in case that happends (which it has i wont lie) but whenever i have used 4 or more i've never had one go out. If you use the mackie bins they have a high-pass out which will cut the bass to the tops so they almost never over heat (the tops have a low-cut option in them as well)

Yes you can use a powered speker with a passive amp as long as the amp has "Through" outputs on them. A through output is something that just sends the same signal thats coming out of your mixer out to another source.

So you would go out of your mixer, into your amp, (through) out of your amp into the powered tops

Upgrading my system... I see a lot of other companies are now using self powered speakers (Mackie, JBL Eons etc)

What do you prefer - passive or self powered and what speaker do you recommend.

Depends on the room & the # of guests. I have a set of stacked speakers for BIG parties and i alos have a paie on jbl eons(15") w/ the JBL 15" subwoofer bass box

i have no doubt that the self powered speakers can get the job done - i am just worried about amp failure in the speaker.

I did a wedding at the Venitian last month with two self powered Yorkville tops and two self powered Yorkville subs.. The sound wa sincredible.

no that amp doesn't either.

Do you have any booth or zone outputs on your mixer?

Because if you do you can use one set of outputs to the powered speakers and one set to the passive. I used to do it that way to control the limit on my amp and the limits on my powered speakers.