Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cure frontman ousts two members

abstractrhythm

The-Cure.jpg

By Jason MacNeil Sat May 28, 9:34 AM ET

TORONTO (Billboard) - Two veteran members of the Cure have exited the U.K. rock act, which has long featured a revolving door of musicians backing leader Robert Smith.

Keyboardist Roger O'Donnell and guitarist Perry Bamonte are out, leaving singer/guitarist Smith, bassist Simon Gallup and drummer Jason Cooper in the fold, according to the Cure's Web site (http://www.thecure.com)

"As of Tuesday this week I am no longer a member of the Cure," O'Donnell wrote on his Web site (http://www.rogerodonnell.com). "It was sad to find out after nearly 20 years the way I did but then I should have expected no less or more."

The Cure Web site coyly said others could be part of the lineup, promising more news soon. The new lineup will be unveiled on Aug. 5 when the Cure play a festival in Castellon, Spain. The band is also confirmed for festival dates in France, Switzerland and Turkey.

O'Donnell first played with the Cure from 1987 to 1990, when he was replaced by Bamonte, a Cure roadie. Bamonte switched to lead guitar after Porl Thompson left in 1993, and O'Donnell returned to the fold in 1995.

O'Donnell has been working on a solo album, "The Truth in Me," for the past six months and will release it in the fall on an as-yet-unnamed independent label.

Rumors are also circulating that Siouxie and the Banshees principal Steve S*****n will fill in at the Cure's upcoming shows in some capacity. S*****n and Smith are longtime friends who recorded a 1983 side-project album, "Blue Sunshine," under the moniker the Glove.

"It is true that we are talking again, but I haven't spoken to Robert since this story broke," S*****n told Billboard.com. "All I know is that we are working together on making the most exciting remaster of 'Blue Sunshine' possible."

Reuters/Billboard

:type:

A Forest :bounce:

Come closer and see

See into the trees

Find the girl

If you can

Come closer and see

See into the dark

Just follow your eyes

Just follow your eyes

I hear her voice

Calling my name

The sound is deep

In the dark

I hear her voice

And start to run

Into the trees

Into the trees

Into the trees

Suddenly I stop

But I know it's too late

I'm lost in a forest

All alone

The girl was never there

It's always the same

I'm running towards nothing

Again and again and again and again

She said "could you take me home tonight?

It's the only way I know."

She said "could you take me home tonight?

There's no other way I know."

She said "you know the way you used to do."

"Of course I'll take you home."

"You know the way you used to do."

"Of course I'll take you home."

This kiss could cost my life.

Is all you see in her eyes.

This kiss could cost my life.

Is all you see in her eyes.

It's all you see in her eyes.

She said "Take my hand, take me home."

She said "Take my hand, take me home.