Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jerusalem bans gay pride parade

Jerusalem City Hall will not allow the annual gay pride parade to go ahead next week, it announced yesterday, saying the march would offend many of the city's residents and set off unrest.

The Jerusalem Open House group, which is organizing the Fourth Annual Jerusalem Pride March, appealed to the Supreme Court to repeal the ruling, saying the decision was a violation of the homosexual community's freedom of expression.

The city council, including the mayor, decided "it is not right to allow the march or other planned activities to take place in the streets of Jerusalem, fearing it will create an uproar and offend a wide sector of city residents, and out of fear of public disturbances," said Eitan Meir, the director general of City Hall, in a letter to organizers made available by city officials.

Advertisement

The march, scheduled for next Thursday, was to be the fourth annual parade. Previous events have passed peacefully, attended by several thousand people and with only minor incidents of vandalism and protest. However, they took place under heavy security.

"The actions of the mayor, and those carrying out his policies, are injurious to the values of freedom of expression," said Hagai El-Ad, director of the Open House.

"Jerusalem continues in its discriminatory policy against the Jerusalem Open House and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in Jerusalem," El-Ad said.

Jerusalem's ultra-Orthodox mayor, Uri Lupolianski, has expressed his personal opposition to the parades in previous years, but let them go ahead, claiming the decision fell under police jurisdiction.

Officials at City Hall refused to explain the change in policy.

El-Ad said other events associated with "Pride Month" would go ahead regardless.

The city decision comes just weeks after the Jerusalem Open House postponed WorldPride 2005, a 10-day gathering that features street parties, workshops and a gay film festival, until August 2006.

why would you post this?

like there are a lot of gay pride marchs in islamic states?

you're an asshole.

Oops, touch a raw nerve there huh?

Hmm...lets see last time I checked islamic states weren't considered "freedom loving democracies". Its funny - you people love to point out how backward Islamic states are, but when shit like this happens, you also love to use these islamic states as the standards to go by. I would have thought you would compare yourself to more western countries.

Hey, if you don't like the article don't read it. I have every right to post anything I want. Especially now, the way those retarded settlers are acting.

Oops, touch a raw nerve there huh?

Hmm...lets see last time I checked islamic states weren't considered "freedom loving democracies". Its funny - you people love to point out how backward Islamic states are, but when shit like this happens, you also love to use these islamic states as the standards to go by. I would have thought you would compare yourself to more western countries.

Hey, if you don't like the article don't read it. I have every right to post anything I want. Especially now, the way those retarded settlers are acting.

Gotta love how right wing hypocrites contridict themselves.

no hypocrisy here, just a bunch of petulant idiots who don't contribute any rational discussion, just one sided liberal insanity. this board sucks cause of myopic fucks like you. instead of always criticisizing Israel and the U.S., try looking at the foibles of the islamic world.

no hypocrisy here, just a bunch of petulant idiots who don't contribute any rational discussion, just one sided liberal insanity. this board sucks cause of myopic fucks like you. instead of always criticisizing Israel and the U.S., try looking at the foibles of the islamic world.

so you wouldnt have a problem with Israel banning women from voting if they did so? because hey...if islamic countries can do it...so can we!

:lol3:

"No child left behind" at its' finest.

so you wouldnt have a problem with Israel banning women from voting if they did so? because hey...if islamic countries can do it...so can we!

Yeah, thats exactly the kind of impression I get with the right-wing - "they're doing it, so why can't we?"!