Clubplanet Nightlife Community

fashionable...

dgmodel

who dictates whats in style or whats trendy??? its the end of summer, and theyre pushing fall fashion... and you see a lot of things coming up that are boho chic, and involving dark greens and cowboy boots, and what have you... im not questioning the material, but i am trying figure out who says this is in style??? its funny how everyone is manipulated into wearing what the companies sell, they get a buzz going that "this is in" right now and ppl do it, where does it come from??? who says this is in???

the designers decide when something is in or not....without a doubt fashion mirrors society and it is the designer's job to figure out everything ahead of time and read cultural shifts...whatever you haven't seen in a while will be brought back with their own twist...i think the designers also have to study, assess and market to everyone's needs before they occur otherwise their line will be a flop....when it's a hit on the runway everyone in hollywood starts wearing them and then the general public follow....that's my .02

FUCK THAT, i've never been one to be on top of the whole Fashion thing.......if it LOOKS GOOD and you know how to strut it then wear it!!!!

To me the person is the one that makes the outfit look good :) !!!!

I have really never followed fashion rules......in Miami anything goes when it comes to fashion!!!

i like staying on top of fashion trends....mainly because i like change....life would be boring if there was no change or variety....i'm not saying that i would never wear something that was not 'in'...i have a lot of classic looks that will always be in style as far as i'm concerned....bottom line is if i like it, i'll wear it...regardless of who is or isn't wearing it.....sometimes i combine looks and make up my 'own trend'....depending on where i'm going and what my mood is at the time.

who dictates whats in style or whats trendy??? its the end of summer, and theyre pushing fall fashion... and you see a lot of things coming up that are boho chic, and involving dark greens and cowboy boots, and what have you... im not questioning the material, but i am trying figure out who says this is in style??? its funny how everyone is manipulated into wearing what the companies sell, they get a buzz going that "this is in" right now and ppl do it, where does it come from??? who says this is in???

i've always wondered this same thing as well...it's like a method of brainwashing...one person says its in and then every store carries it and we're all running to buy it...fuck that

It is nearly exactly like brainwashing, except without the electrodes. And it applies to every market segment, not just fashion. By and large, the consumer public are very akin to sheep. If you convince enough people that everyone is buying something, then their need for acceptance kicks in and they all run out and buy it, even though, in actuality, nobody was buying it until the advertisers convinced everyone to. This is pretty much the "secret" of advertising.

It is true that there are people who control their own taste to some extent. But, these are definitely a small minority.

Another factor to consider is that most stores are now corporate conglomerates who are more beholding to their stockholders than their customers. They cannot afford to try new things and hope they fly. So, they buy whatever is being hyped the most so they can maximize their sales volume per square foot.

Also, think about the buyers at these big retail corporations. How many actual product lines do you think they have time to really go through? Nobody has any time for innovation. They are likely just barely keeping up with their regular lines.

As far as where the actual fashions come from, mostly they just come from the "street". If you see something up on a big runway, you can bet your bottom dollar that the young hipsters in the creative parts of the country have been putting that together for at least 2 years. Lots of those looks come originally from small boutiques or some creative girl who likes to put together her own clothes. These trends will spread through friend-groups and other associates until one of the big houses catches on and puts it on the catwalk.

Anybody who lives in one of those creative areas of the country, like South Beach, can tell you. I know I have seen girls here sporting looks that show up later on FTV.

Certainly, some of the designers have their own creativity. But it takes a lot to come up with a whole new line year after year. Even season after season.

But, mostly remember that it is still a business. Who really says what is "in style" for the vast majority of the country? It is the accountants.

• 3 weeks later...

Fashion designers are intrigued by movies, media, europe, japan, art and a myriad of street styles. I swear they all copy from each other except for a

select few who are creative and possess massive talent. It is the same

with the art field and music field. It is all one big mashed potato.

You can wear whatever you like..its all about your personality and

how you put it together. Never follow..always lead. That is what

being creative is all about.

• 1 month later...

if you´re interested in the subject, check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006074586X/102-7256071-1304114?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

brilliant read, and also has a whole chapter about what you´re asking about. i highly recommend this book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...