Clubplanet Nightlife Community

can someone tell me about san francisco?

majinbuu

San francisco has a fairly strong club scene, to me its less fake than many l.a. clubs, but it is missing some of that great atmosphere ny clubs have. There's always a good selection of dj's coming through the city. Perhaps with the exception of your local dj's, you can find almost any big dj who would play nyc in s.f., including deep dish, digweed, marco v., luke fsir, markus schulz, hawtin, sasha, avb, ferry corsten, james zabiela, pvd, blank & jones, etc. The one caveat is dj's of this caliber are not in s.f. as frequently as nyc, but it's improving.

S.F. has a few big clubs, the most popular would be mezzanine, mighty, 1015, ruby skye, and 550. Clubs do not close at 1 a.m., but alcohol is not served between 1:30ish in the morning until 6 or 7 (about 5 dry hours, like most cities). Though without alcohol some think the club might as well be closed. :grin3:

There isn't much after hours activity in san francisco. Mainly because the lack of space or gentrification, whichever way you want to look at it, places some clubs very close to or in residential neighborhoods. Most clubs will close between 3am to 4am, some a bit later (6ish). However, hours are subject to change with special occasions such as an amazing dj, pride week, and now the love parade; all of which extend club hours.

p.s. feel free to sleep however you want, no one will attack your ass... unless of course you want them to, lol. :tongue:

San francisco has a fairly strong club scene, to me its less fake than many l.a. clubs, but it is missing some of that great atmosphere ny clubs have. There's always a good selection of dj's coming through the city. Perhaps with the exception of your local dj's, you can find almost any big dj who would play nyc in s.f., including deep dish, digweed, marco v., luke fsir, markus schulz, hawtin, sasha, avb, ferry corsten, james zabiela, pvd, blank & jones, etc. The one caveat is dj's of this caliber are not in s.f. as frequently as nyc, but it's improving.

S.F. has a few big clubs, the most popular would be mezzanine, mighty, 1015, ruby skye, and 550. Clubs do not close at 1 a.m., but alcohol is not served between 1:30ish in the morning until 6 or 7 (about 5 dry hours, like most cities). Though without alcohol some think the club might as well be closed. :grin3:

There isn't much after hours activity in san francisco. Mainly because the lack of space or gentrification, whichever way you want to look at it, places some clubs very close to or in residential neighborhoods. Most clubs will close between 3am to 4am, some a bit later (6ish). However, hours are subject to change with special occasions such as an amazing dj, pride week, and now the love parade; all of which extend club hours.

p.s. feel free to sleep however you want, no one will attack your ass... unless of course you want them to, lol. :tongue:

thank you for a real answer! do you live in san francisco?

Do it! Do it! :grin3:

It's a nice place to live, expensive, but no more so than new york.

Late last year I was considering moving back to new york. My choices were either the uws or brooklyn... that was until I realized costs, such as paying for a place for me, one for my car, and just general living expense would be equal to s.f., lol. and cost of living is really the only thing that has kept me from moving back to the s.f. area. So don't expect to experience sticker shock the costs are similar.

You should definitely visit! There is a lot to occupy yourself with, not just in s.f., but also in the surrounding cities. There are clubs, beaches, parks, baseball, football, various cultural activities... I know this is terribly cliche, but california is one of those places where you can be in like 80º weather in the morning and drive a few hours to ski in the afternoon. Um, yes I totally suck for typing that! :D

Also, there's a large public transportation system w/ trains going throughout s.f. to neighboring cities like oakland (s.f. also has serious parking issues). The job market isn't bad as long as you are not in IT or a similar field, definitely a dearth of tech jobs.

If you have any questions about the area, I'd be happy to answer the best I can. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where in the Bay will you be living? Living in SF itself can suck. I'd suggest Emeryville. It's right by the Bay Bridge and you would avoid the incredibly high cost of housing (altho pretty much anywhere in NorCal is expensive compared to most of the US).

Ruby Skye is my favorite place to party nowadays. Very good sound system, decent vibe, and for the most part there's always a quality dj spinning on Fri/Sat nights. Like the previous poster mentioned, there's more to NorCal then SF.

The only times I go to SF is to go clubbing so I don't have any first hand experience with the gay communities. Outside of the Bay, there's not a lot of that going on publicly. Just don't make the mistake of your buddies getting your drunk and taking you to "The Power Exchange". I still have nightmares :vomit2:

cool place. not exactly like you think it would be.

too expensive for what it offers.

north berkeley is the nice part. beware when looking for a place, because some people advertise apts as berkeley, that are actually in oakland.

thanks yea i want to move there in a little while.... going to school there

Sorry to come into this so late.. but Barraquilla is right, SF Rocks!!! It's a 9hr drive for me to make it to San Fran, and I used to go at least once a month (before I got sucked into the Corp. world) just to go clubbing and pick up some atmosphere. :hoparound

RubySkye is my all time favorite club - *definitely* worth the drive. I've been clubbing in NYC and Miami often, and don't get me wrong, those are the places to get down and party like a rockstar - but RubySkye is just freakin' elegant! I have never had a bad vibe there, you can dress funky, you can wear the fanciest evening attire, and you'll fit in. It's everything an upscale club should be! Beyond that, the sound system is wicked and the acoustics of the building are incredible - not a bad spot in the entire house!

For afterhours most go to the EndUp - they don't even open until 6am ;}

Enjoy SF - it's hard not to!!!

~h

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.myspace.com/intrica

can anyone tell me about the scene in san francisco? i mean are there after hours spots? do clubs close at 1 am?

are there big clubs? what type of djs visit SF? is there big djs every week?

are there raves??

You are gonna LOVE it. lots of good sushi & happa hotties running around too of course. ;)

It's my hometown, so it's really nice to see people say such nice things about...

the best damn city in the US! (I'm a little biased, forgive me, lol) :biggrin:

You've gotta see lombard street, the crookedest street in the world, and Golden Gate Park's Japanese Tea Garden if you can. Not to mention they have an amazingly diverse EDM scene, I wish I could go to see Z-trip or Q-bert play there or something cool like that.

when ya going?

my friends are moving there and want me to come with them....i am thinking about it.

sorry I missed this before. UM....between you and me If I had the chance I would GO FOR IT! It will be the experience of a lifetime...IMO.:)

You never regret the things you did do, only the things you didn't do. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
ill be making the trek up to frisco in a month or so... def wanna check out ruby skye.. the crooked street, the golden gate bridge and halfmoon bay.. cant wait

nobody in SF calls SF "frisco". sure giveaway that you're a tourist