Clubplanet Nightlife Community

'Flight 93' Draws Record A&E Audience

igloo

Anyone see it?

'Flight 93' Draws Record A&E Audience 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - A television movie about one of the doomed Sept. 11 airplanes was A&E's most-watched program ever, a sign that audiences may be ready for a coming spate of movie and TV projects dramatizing the terrorism of five years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Flight 93," about the hijacking of the United Airlines plane and passengers' efforts to retake it, drew 5.9 million viewers when it premiered Monday, the cable channel said.

It was the most-watched A&E program since the channel launched in 1984.

The movie was based on public records, including phone conversations between passengers on the plane bound from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco and their relatives and friends.

Officials believe the hijackers of the aircraft, which crashed in a Pennsylvania field, had targeted either the White House or the U.S. Capitol.

Other upcoming projects about the day in 2001 that included attacks on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon include an ABC miniseries and several feature films, including one from director Oliver Stone and starring Nicolas Cage.

The ill-fated United Airlines flight also is the subject of "Portrait of Courage: The Untold Story of Flight 93," a one-hour documentary airing 7 p.m. EST Monday, Feb. 13 on the i channel, formerly the PAX TV network.

A&E's "Flight 93" will repeat at noon EST on Saturday and Sunday and at 3 p.m. EST on Wednesday, Feb. 8.

Last fall, "The Flight that Fought Back," a Discovery Channel special that mixed reenactments and interviews, drew a hefty 7 million viewers.

I wanted to see, I saw a bunch of clips in commercials leading up to it. To be honest though, the whole web of conjecture from that flight is so thick it would probably make me upset just to watch.

One glaring inaccuracy with this whole story is that while I'm sure airphones may work ok in a plane, cell phones will not at above 8000 ft., about 1/2 the altitude the plane was cruising at when calls were supposedly made.

http://www.physics911.net/cellphoneflight93.htm

http://www.qualcomm.com/press/releases/2004/040715_aa_testflight.html

Why the hell would American Airlines and Qualcomm be testing proof-of-concept technology to allow for in-flight mobile phone usage in 2004 if 3 years before that a dozen people were making cell phone calls to their families with no problems at all.

Nothing conspiracy about this............it's simple physics, and the limitations of the technology.

I have no proof but I really believe that we shot down that plane to make sure it did not smash into the white house.(which was the right thing to do) Then came up with this super nice story.

Like I said I have no proof and I am probably wrong.

I have no proof but I really believe that we shot down that plane to make sure it did not smash into the white house.(which was the right thing to do) Then came up with this super nice story.

Like I said I have no proof and I am probably wrong.

Things kind of point in that direction.

Debris from the cleanup spanned an area of about 8 square miles, planes that crash into the ground don't leave an 8 square mile footprint of debris. And the impact crater left in the ground could only have been caused by a near veritcal crash which the FMS systems on the plane would not let it do.

Seems more probable that a plane that partially exploded while still in air has a better chance of leaving 8 sq miles of debris than the passengers overtaking the plane, disabling it's flight management software and sending the plane into an impossible verticle dive into the ground.

• 3 weeks later...