Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Did you guys hear about texas cops?

Guest gabo

Guest gabo

They are arresting people that are drunk inside of bars. Even if they have a designated driver and even if they walked to the bar. How can they do that?

All they're doing is going to make more people drink and drive... If I knew I was gonna get arrested anyway then Ill just drive and save myself a walk to the bar.

Guest gabo
They are arresting them for public intoxication.

that is retarded! How can a cop walk into a bar and arrest people for being drunk in a bar

If I recall correctly it is illegal to be drunk in any public place. You're allowed to drink, but once you're drunk the bartender is "supposed" to turn you away. I believe that applies to almost any state however I am not certain.

WOW so even if I am not driving. over 21 I am still breaking the law if I fail a breathe test?

No because a breath test relates to driving. You are considered drunk based on appearance more than anything for public drunkenness charges.

WOW so even if I am not driving. over 21 I am still breaking the law if I fail a breathe test?

If youre passed out on the side of a street with ur face in the lap of a hot brazilian chick, then aint gonna take ur breath nor give u the high five. Theyll book u for Pub Intox, take u in, and probably give u about $200-500 fine depending on the city.

If youre passed out on the side of a street with ur face in the lap of a hot brazilian chick, then aint gonna take ur breath nor give u the high five. Theyll book u for Pub Intox, take u in, and probably give u about $200-500 fine depending on the city.

a while back a friend needed a bartender so i bartended for a lil bit... one of the major things (outside of serving minors) that he told me to look out for were ppl who passed out or fell asleep in the bar... he said its a major fine for the bar if there is a patron sleeping in it... so maybe the penalties have shifted from owner to customer??? i dont know im just guessing... but again this is several years ago, and in new york... not tex-ass...

Theres a link in the clubplanet news section. It is kinda messed up. I mean, the main reason I go to a bar is to get drunk. What i was confused about though is arent bars private property of the owners?

Yes, but they are licensed and regulated by the city/state. They can pull your license over nothing, trust me.

Guest gabo
Yes, but they are licensed and regulated by the city/state. They can pull your license over nothing, trust me.
so the cops dont need a warrant

Theres a link in the clubplanet news section. It is kinda messed up. I mean, the main reason I go to a bar is to get drunk. What i was confused about though is arent bars private property of the owners?

private property sure, however they still have to operate within the laws...

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8169246/detail.html

FORT WORTH, Texas -- The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission sent a message to bar patrons last week.

TABC agents and Irving police swept through 36 Irving bars and arrested about 30 people on charges of public intoxication. Agency representatives say the move came as a proactive measure to curtail drunken driving.

North Texans interviewed by NBC 5, however, worried that the sweep went too far.

At one location, for example, agents and police arrested patrons of a hotel bar. Some of the suspects said they were registered at the hotel and had no intention of driving. Arresting authorities said the patrons were a danger to themselves and others.

Dallas comedian Steve Harvey agreed with the Texas residents who said the arrests infringed on individual rights.

"If a guy's got a designated driver, go ahead and let him get toasted," Harvey told NBC 5.

Texas law states that inebriated individuals could be subjected to arrest anywhere for public intoxication. Harvey and other North Texans called the measure extreme.

"That seems to be an extreme case," one man said. "You are self-contained, in the hotel, you're not going in the streets, it seems a little ridiculous."

TABC officials said the sweep concerned saving lives, not individual rights. Harvey and others interviewed by NBC 5 said they believe drunken driving to be unacceptable, although Harvey wanted to confirm that the United States remains a free country.

"Freedom of drinking should always be allowed, and it is only American to let a guy get drunk where he wants to get drunk," Harvey said.