Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Memo to Billy Wagner

bxbomb

thats a real tough "sleeper" to choose

how about giving us a real sleeper that hasnt already been discussed up and down on baseball tonight and yahoo fantasy and is on a glaring three game tear

like saying dmitri young was a "sleeper" last year because he hit 3 homers in his first game

now you want to argue over the definition of a "sleeper"...sorry, not gonna bite. you're right jon...oh by the way i picked him up in round 19 in a 12 person league...aparently everyone was all over him.

Also picked up Kelvim Escobar in the 18 who I would say is a "sleeper"...you're feelings on that?

edit cause i forgot jay gibbons in the 21st round...all three i had on my so called list of "sleepers" that i said i would grab if they were around in the later rounds cause i thought they had a chance of having big years. we shall see

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jon, you know breaking the saves record wouldnt mean much. after all doesnt lee smith hold the record in the first place? nobody considers him the greatest best closer in the history of baseball simply because he owns the record. the save is so fucking meaningless. im talking about a pitcher who comes in to the game and is so dominant that the opposing team almost knows the game is over. Rollie Fingers had that. Eckersely had it too. And so does Mo. Each one of these guys has either won a Cy Young or come close to it. These guys are dominating. I dont think Hoffman was ever close to that.

Hoffman wasnt blow you away dominating, but he is as efficient as it comes in closing the games out. Listen to major league players talk about Hoffman and they all say they know its almost over when he enters the game...........he is much like Rollie Fingers was in that respect.

I could argue Mo vs. Hoffman up and down and I personally do side with mo just because i've personally seen what he does to close games out night in and night out while i only see hoffman on highlights, but I'm making a case as most people do here in San Diego that Hoffman is right up there if not the best ever

Hoffman wasnt blow you away dominating, but he is as efficient as it comes in closing the games out. Listen to major league players talk about Hoffman and they all say they know its almost over when he enters the game...........he is much like Rollie Fingers was in that respect.

I could argue Mo vs. Hoffman up and down and I personally do side with mo just because i've personally seen what he does to close games out night in and night out while i only see hoffman on highlights, but I'm making a case as most people do here in San Diego that Hoffman is right up there if not the best ever

i'm a big padres fan and have seen countless padres games closed out by hoffman, but i'd give the slight edge to mariano simply because he's been clutch in countless play off situations more so than hoffman, who has pitched in some play off games. if we were only talking regular season, i'd go with hoffman but we all know that play off performances are what make legends and mariano has been overall dominating in ALDS, ALCS, and WS situations.

eck would have to be in the discussion of best reliever ever.

Elected to the Red Sox Hall of Fame (2004)

Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame (2004)

All-Star (1977, 1982, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992)

American League Cy Young Award winner (1992)

American League MVP (1992)

American League Rolaids Relief Man of the Year award winner (1988, 1992)

American League Championship Series MVP (1988)

Finished 2nd in American League Cy Young voting (1988)

Finished 4th in American League Cy Young voting (1978)

Finished 5th in American League Cy Young voting (1990)

Finished 6th in American League Cy Young voting (1989)

Finished 7th in American League Cy Young voting (1979)

Finished 5th in American League MVP voting (1988, 1989)

Finished 6th in American League MVP voting (1990)

Pitched no-hitter (May 30, 1977)

They're arguing the whole River/Wagner/enter sandman debate on Mike and the Mad dog. Basically their argument is that before Wagner came to ny nobody even knew that he used the song when he entered games. therefore it isnt symbolic and means very little to wagner. whereas EVERYONE knows that Mo uses the song. i dont know. thats their argument

I called him being a mistake from the very beginning. It's only one game though. No need to panic. The important thing here is Bannister's fine performance and the rest of the pen leading up to the 9th inning. And Nady too :D

mistale would be an understatement. minaya traded a number 3 starter who can give you 200 innings for a guy that is basically a poor mans armando benitez. julio probably wont even be in ny at the end of the season. i think majnibubbubu is the only one that will tellit was a good trade. in fact he has said it in a past thread

too bad Metallica already said if and when it comes down to it...Wagner gets it 1st

lol you mean one has to ask the band whether or not you can use their song when you come into a game? im listening to erick b and rahkim "dont sweat the technique" right now. should i call them and ask if its ok?

anyway, of course metallica is going to side with wagner as they are very close friends

They're arguing the whole River/Wagner/enter sandman debate on Mike and the Mad dog. Basically their argument is that before Wagner came to ny nobody even knew that he used the song when he entered games. therefore it isnt symbolic and means very little to wagner. whereas EVERYONE knows that Mo uses the song. i dont know. thats their argument

it really is a fucking joke...can't believe it's still going on. that's ny sports radio for you...and you got the Mad Dog going nuts over it like it's sacreligious or something

mistale would be an understatement. minaya traded a number 3 starter who can give you 200 innings for a guy that is basically a poor mans armando benitez. julio probably wont even be in ny at the end of the season. i think majnibubbubu is the only one that will tellit was a good trade. in fact he has said it in a past thread

That dude though Matsui was an excellent pickup as well :laugh:

it really is a fucking joke...can't believe it's still going on. that's ny sports radio for you...and you got the Mad Dog going nuts over it like it's sacreligious or something

hes always going apeshit over the tiniest things. the one good thing that has come of this is that its seperating met and yankee fans and really sprucing up this rivalry like it should be. i hate the mets more than i do the redsox now

hes always going apeshit over the tiniest things. the one good thing that has come of this is that its seperating met and yankee fans and really sprucing up this rivalry like it should be. i hate the mets more than i do the redsox now

I think it shows that yankee fans are getting their panties in a bunch because they feel threatened by the Mets taking over the city but that's just my opinion

I think it shows that yankee fans are getting their panties in a bunch because they feel threatened by the Mets taking over the city but that's just my opinion

maybe. yankee fans are very territorial. this has been a yankee town for a long time now so obviously tough for some yankee fans to get used to the idea of the mets actually being good. but i dont think any of that will bare fruit until the mets win a WS or they beat the yanks in a subway series.