Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Music in other languages we are deprived of in the US. . . suggestions anyone?

just ordered the Soundtrack to "Dil to Pagal Hai," a Hindu Film. and remembered loving those Prodigy songs with the female vocalist, and the song "Narayan" they did.

any suggestions of must have things you'll never ever hear if it's not your culture?

i don't mean just dance music, really just anything that is beautiful musically.

Thanx in advance!

------------------

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -voltaire

The BEST foreign music I've heard was FRENCH RAP. Holy shit, I couldn't believe how BEAUTIFUL it sounded. Went to an HMV store in Montreal and just stopped as soon as I walked in. I'm not a huge fan of rap although I like some, but daaaaamn that sounded awesome! I'm still kicking my own ass for not buying that cd and not even asking for names of these cd's..

check out Indian Tabla and Sitar players from napster or other web sites and see what you think.

Some names: Ravi Shankar...and a bunch of Khan's. No joke there's a whole family of 'em.

Check out the insider soundtrack w. Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can dance. She's got the voice from the gods-um-or goddesses I guess.

You might also like some West African music...Senegal would be a good starting point, something that can work your ear in slowly, Try a singer named Baaba Maal. He's an amazing artist.

Just my .02 worth. Check em out and let me know what you think or want some more leads.

H

------------------

"Money is one thing, but soul is another."

megaman1.gifmegaman1.gifmegaman1.gifmegaman1.gif

Originally posted by herbalist:

"check out Indian Tabla and Sitar players from napster or other web sites and see what you think."

IS THAT THE NAME OF THE GROUP? OR DO YOU MEAN SITAR PLAYERS IN GENERAL?

"Some names: Ravi Shankar...and a bunch of Khan's. No joke there's a whole family of 'em."

BTW HAVE YOU HEARD ANYTHING RAVI SHANKAR'S DAUGHTER HAS DONE? SHE'S SUPPOSE TO BE VERY TALENTED AS WELL. I'VE NEVER HEARD HIS STUFF, JUST KNOW HE WAS/IS A SITAR PLAYER THAT PLAYED WITH THE BEATLES.

"Check out the insider soundtrack w. Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can dance. She's got the voice from the gods-um-or goddesses I guess.

"You might also like some West African music...Senegal would be a good starting point, something that can work your ear in slowly, Try a singer named Baaba Maal. He's an amazing artist. "

NAMES ARE A GREAT START, WILL CHECK HIM OUT.

Just my .02 worth. Check em out and let me know what you think or want some more leads.

H

Thanx so much! I haven't checked any of the artists, but what you have listed is EXACTLY the kind of info I am looking for.

Mysterious- any names in paticular?

------------------

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -voltaire

Originally posted by sharonregina:

Thanx so much! I haven't checked any of the artists, but what you have listed is EXACTLY the kind of info I am looking for.

NP smile.gif

You might like Talvin Singh (sp?) more mainstream than the Khans.

The Tabla and Sitar ref was not to a particular group. cwm6.gif

Yes, I've heard his daughter. She played Royce Hall (UCLA campus) about a year-half ago. She's Amazing. She had like the whole family on stage with her.

I like world music sections a lot. How 'bout Cuban music? You can try Beuna Vista Social club...Abrahim Ferrer (just jacked up the poor man's name) Celia Cruz, Afro-Cuban All Stars...

Fun band = Ozomatli (on the Almo label).

WOW! Info overload. Sorry I'm still on night club time and can't sleep a wink tonight.

Originally posted by herbalist:

NP smile.gif

You might like Talvin Singh (sp?) more mainstream than the Khans.

The Tabla and Sitar ref was not to a particular group. cwm6.gif

Yes, I've heard his daughter. She played Royce Hall (UCLA campus) about a year-half ago. She's Amazing. She had like the whole family on stage with her.

I like world music sections a lot. How 'bout Cuban music? You can try Beuna Vista Social club...Abrahim Ferrer (just jacked up the poor man's name) Celia Cruz, Afro-Cuban All Stars...

Fun band = Ozomatli (on the Almo label).

WOW! Info overload. Sorry I'm still on night club time and can't sleep a wink tonight.

kid, PM me if you have AIM or ICQ. you f'n rock.

of course i've heard Buena Vista Social Club and Ibrahimm Fherrer's (that's my guess on spelling wink.gif ) solo album. have you seen the documentary? any feedback?

regards to ozomatli, i saw them open up for Big Bad Voodoo Daddies a couple of years ago at Rutgers, fell in love, awesome jam band, bought their album the next day, and saw them again open up for Offspring. So funny to see the way they WERE appreciated at the college show and WEREN'T with the 11-17 audience.

------------------

Originally posted by sharonregina:

kid, PM me if you have AIM or ICQ. you f'n rock.

of course i've heard Buena Vista Social Club and Ibrahimm Fherrer's (that's my guess on spelling wink.gif ) solo album. have you seen the documentary? any feedback?

regards to ozomatli, i saw them open up for Big Bad Voodoo Daddies a couple of years ago at Rutgers, fell in love, awesome jam band, bought their album the next day, and saw them again open up for Offspring. So funny to see the way they WERE appreciated at the college show and WEREN'T with the 11-17 audience.

That's Ibrahim Ferrer -- he and all old skool Cuban music is off the hook (though I am partial of course)... also, El Gran Combo and Grupo Niche are off the meter... There's another pretty cool band from Puerto Rico called Plena Libre... and of course, you can't discuss latin music without mentioning the Fania All-Stars... wow.

I was at that Rutgers Show - it was Ozomatli and Cherry Poppin' Daddies (definitely not BBVD... these guys had some ska under their belts too, whereas BBVD don't)... Ozomatli is always great... they opened for DMB this passed Summer. I love them and Rusted Root...

Cool fusion of arabic music done by a latin rock star: Ojos Asi by Shakira... it's excellent!

cwm35.gif 's!!

- Meli -

------------------

bubbles_06b.icobubbles_02.icobubbles_07.icobubbles_04.icobubbles_01.ico

"MeliChaCha -- Saving the world before bedtime... wait... I'm supposed to SLEEP?!"

... and to all my people, "Peace -- and Humpty-ness forever!"

AIM: MeliChaCha

E-MAIL: MeliChaCha@powerpuff.com <--- new addy!

OR MeliChaCha@aol.com

Originally posted by melichacha:

That's Ibrahim Ferrer -- he and all old skool Cuban music is off the hook (though I am partial of course)... also, El Gran Combo and Grupo Niche are off the meter... There's another pretty cool band from Puerto Rico called Plena Libre... and of course, you can't discuss latin music without mentioning the Fania All-Stars... wow.

MELI- WHAT KIND OF MUSIC ARE EL GRAN COMBO & GRUPO NICE, THE PLENA LIBRE AND FANIA ALL-STARS?

I was at that Rutgers Show - it was Ozomatli and Cherry Poppin' Daddies (definitely not BBVD... these guys had some ska under their belts too, whereas BBVD don't)... Ozomatli is always great... they opened for DMB this passed Summer. I love them and Rusted Root...

THAT'S RIGHT! ALWAYS MESS UP THE SHOWS frown.gif THEY ALSO OPENED UP FOR SANTA BEFORE HE SOLD A BILLION RECORDS. HE HAD SO MUCH FAITH IN THEM, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL, BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE THE FOLLOWING YET, AND ONCE HE DID, IN CAME POP STAR OPENING ACTS- BLEH!

Cool fusion of arabic music done by a latin rock star: Ojos Asi by Shakira... it's excellent!

I THINK THE GENRE IS CALLED ALAHAMBRA? HEARD A LOT OF GREAT STUFF. KIND OF LIKE GYPSY KINGS, BUT EVEN COOLER THINGS I'VE HEARD, AGAIN NEVER PICKED UP.

cwm35.gif 's!!

- Meli -

THANX SO MUCH TOO!!

------------------