Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Kenny Rogers = Cheater

clubber5524

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The umps didn't toss him out. There weren't any marks on the ball. End of story. As far as "cheating is cheating" when it comes to pine tar and steroids, Gaylord Perry is in the Hall of Fame. Not only was it well known that pine tar was the least of things he was putting on the ball, but he came out while he was still an active player and described his methods of doctoring the ball. This whole Rogers controversy is just something to get people talking. As has been said, many pitchers use pine tar to effect the grip in cold weather. It's one of those "it's ok to do this, even though it's not" rules in baseball. There are lots of these. Second basemen/ shortstops basically never touch the bag when turning a double play, so the guy should be safe, right? Wrong. Part of the charm of baseball is how it's ok to bend the rules. Now, if the ball had been full of gunk, Rogers had a history of cheating, etc, then it would be a different story. But nobody... Torre, Macha, or Larussa (all great managers, mind you)... said a word, because pine tar on the pitchers hand is so common.

:funny::laugh:

"I don't see what the big deal is. Back in college I used to have brown stuff on my hands all the time." -- Najeh Davenport, RB, Steelers

"There's no excuse for that. You have to keep your hands clean. I wash mine all the time because I know where they've been." -- Matt Leinart, QB, Cardinals

"I can understand why Rogers would do that. Sometimes I vomit on the ball in hopes opposing cornerbacks won't want to intercept it." -- Donovan McNabb, QB, Eagles

"It's no big deal. Stuff like this used to happen all the time back when I started playing because dirt was still pretty new and everyone wanted to try it out." -- Morten Andersen, K, Falcons

"I'll give Rogers the benefit of the doubt because strange things can happen during the course of a game. For instance, sometimes I touch my face when I'm playing and get handsome all over my hands." -- Tom Brady, QB, Patriots

"I hope he did have something illegal on his hands and it erupts into a huge controversy that lasts for months because that might keep Detroit fans distracted from our wretchedness through the end of the NFL season." -- Rod Marinelli, head coach, Lions

"Hey! Hey! Look at me! Look at me! I just smeared something on my hands, too! Look! Give me some attention! Look over here, everybody!" -- Terrell Owens, WR, Cowboys