Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Thank You Rutgers

phil-r

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah Spragga, tell me how many players on current NFL rosters went to SEC schools and how many went to Big East schools. Dont tell me that the NFL is into th e "ole boy network" as well.

If guys like Tiki Barber (Virginia) and Lanalian Tomlison (TCU) can make it and be among the best players in the NFL, guys who went to West Va. and Lousville can also make it.

You can't compare college hoops to football because SOS in basketball is important for tournament seeding (or actually getting in), which is why Duke, UNC and other power teams are scheduling better teams for their non-conference seasons. Basketball has it right - they know scheduling tougher teams will prepare them for the tourney, while teams like Cincy and Pitt get throttled year after year...Pitt's finally improving their schedule this year to fix this. They take a few losses early (or even in conference), but it doesn't matter since they'll still be able to get into the tourney, where anything can happen and you could see a team like George Mason in the final four.

College football can't really do this because they can't afford a loss the entire year...period. Makes it virtually impossible to take the chance at scheduling top teams year in and year out outside of conference. What do you want Rutgers to do - pay Georgia $15 million just to play a game??

I keep referring to the ole boy network because they don't want a playoff system...$$$$$ from the bowls, and until they do the right thing and scrap the shit BCS, we will all continue to bitch about who's #1 or 2 or 5 every damn year.

you also have basketball teams playing 30+ games while football only play 12 - you have more lee-way, but the same concept applies:

you have a poll which is subjective.

you have to schedule teams so your % isn't crap.

each school is responsible for scehduling non-conference opponents.

do you really think that Cinci has $15mill to pay VaTech and Ohio State? scheduling good teams is not impossible, if they can do it, West Va. and Lousville can do it. go out and play Oklahoma State, Texas AM, Washington, Boise State, Cal, teams who would also benefit from playing a quality opponent like them, teams who are not the powerhouse teams, but wanna get there.

actually, the same good ole boy system might be the one that finally realizes that this BCS system is crap, which i agree it is. you think if the SEC gets shafted again out of a national title game like they did a few years ago with Auburn they wont lobby for change? you think if USC wins out and the BCS ends up thinking FL is better than them that the Pac-10 wont lobby for change?

oh yeah Spragga, tell me how many players on current NFL rosters went to SEC schools and how many went to Big East schools. Dont tell me that the NFL is into th e "ole boy network" as well.

If guys like Tiki Barber (Virginia) and Lanalian Tomlison (TCU) can make it and be among the best players in the NFL, guys who went to West Va. and Lousville can also make it.

I could start with Syracuse with McNabb, Freeney and Harrison if you want to go that route...

I could start with Syracuse with McNabb, Freeney and Harrison if you want to go that route...

Eli with Ole Miss, who the hell is Ole Miss in the college football map? nobody.

Peyton and Jamal Lewis with Tennessee, Rex Grossman, Jerome Kearse, Lito Sheppard with Florida, Joseph Addai with LSU, Carlos Rodgers, Caddillac Williams with Auburn, etc. all on current NFL rosters, and I could think of more.

the pioint is you don't have to be on "name" schools in order to make in the NFL, but you can see that a lot of SEC players go on to the NFL and have succesfull careers in the pros which speaks to the overall quality and DEPTH in the conference. the Big East has no DEPTH.

also, if Louisville and West Va. and them are of the attitude of "we are only interested in playing teams like Ohio St., Texas, USC, Florida, Miami, Florida State, Va. Tech, Tennessee out of conference," then they've got it all wrong.

you think pollsters wouldnt take into account if they went to Cal, beat Cal by 20 and then have Cal lose to USC only by 3? you think they would not be impressed if they beat Texas A&M and then Texas A&M goes on and beats Oklahoma or Texas that year? if they beat Oregon State and then Orgeon State beats USC? if they beat South Carolina by 14 and then S. Carolina just loses by 1 at Florida?

the ball is on Big East teams to schedule tougher opponents 'cos they are the ones who have to convince pollsters that they are better than what most of us think, not the other way around.

Eli with Ole Miss, who the hell is Ole Miss in the college football map? nobody.

Peyton and Jamal Lewis with Tennessee, Rex Grossman, Jerome Kearse, Lito Sheppard with Florida, Joseph Addai with LSU, Carlos Rodgers, Caddillac Williams with Auburn, etc. all on current NFL rosters, and I could think of more.

the pioint is you don't have to be on "name" schools in order to make in the NFL, but you can see that a lot of SEC players go on to the NFL and have succesfull careers in the pros which speaks to the overall quality and DEPTH in the conference. the Big East has no DEPTH.

also, if Louisville and West Va. and them are of the attitude of "we are only interested in playing teams like Ohio St., Texas, USC, Florida, Miami, Florida State, Va. Tech, Tennessee out of conference," then they've got it all wrong.

you think pollsters wouldnt take into account if they went to Cal, beat Cal by 20 and then have Cal lose to USC only by 3? you think they would not be impressed if they beat Texas A&M and then Texas A&M goes on and beats Oklahoma or Texas that year? if they beat Oregon State and then Orgeon State beats USC? if they beat South Carolina by 14 and then S. Carolina just loses by 1 at Florida?

the ball is on Big East teams to schedule tougher opponents 'cos they are the ones who have to convince pollsters that they are better than what most of us think, not the other way around.

You keep saying it's all on the Big East to schedule tougher oppenents...tell me how should they go about doing it then?

And for the record, how much a team wins by doesn't matter as much in the BCS anymore...actually it doesn't mattter at all in the computer rankings which has Rutgers at #2 over Ohio State.

You keep saying it's all on the Big East to schedule tougher oppenents...tell me how should they go about doing it then?

And for the record, how much a team wins by doesn't matter as much in the BCS anymore...actually it doesn't mattter at all in the computer rankings which has Rutgers at #2 over Ohio State.

they do just like anyother school does it. if Cinci can get Ohio State and Va. Tech why cant Lousville do any better than Eastern Washington? we are talking about picking up the phone and calling the AD's and coaches and agreeing on a game. They do for basketball, they do it for football. This isn't rocket science.

Actually the marging of victory does matter in the BCS - it matters on the human polls, the Harris and USA Today polls and they matter in determining the BCS polls.

and again, just to be clear, if you just simply personally don't like the SEC for whatever reason I wont argue with that - but to say that the conference is overated, that assertion just doenst hold any water when the info is out there pointing to the fact that its the most difficult conference in college football.

they do just like anyother school does it. if Cinci can get Ohio State and Va. Tech why cant Lousville do any better than Eastern Washington? we are talking about picking up the phone and calling the AD's and coaches and agreeing on a game. They do for basketball, they do it for football. This isn't rocket science.

Actually the marging of victory does matter in the BCS - it matters on the human polls, the Harris and USA Today polls and they matter in determining the BCS polls.

just call him a nigger and be done with it already...gees...

and again, just to be clear, if you just simply personally don't like the SEC for whatever reason I wont argue with that - but to say that the conference is overated, that assertion just doenst hold any water when the info is out there pointing to the fact that its the most difficult conference in college football.

You said this:

'cos SEC teams already beat up on each other and already scehdule out of conference opponents years in advanced. pick up the phone and start scheduling your games for 2011.

So the Big East is technically "fucked" until 2011 in your eyes then right?

SEC is overrated in that their champ in the Sugar Bowl (In Atlanta - SEC kuntry) lost to Big East Champ West Virginia. So I will stick to that until proven otherwise...i.e. Beat them on the field. Florida can barely beat S. Carolina...no way they would beat West Virginia, Louisville or even Rutgers with their nasty defense.

You said this:

So the Big East is technically "fucked" until 2011 in your eyes then right?

SEC is overrated in that their champ in the Sugar Bowl (In Atlanta - SEC kuntry) lost to Big East Champ West Virginia. So I will stick to that until proven otherwise...i.e. Beat them on the field. Florida can barely beat S. Carolina...no way they would beat West Virginia, Louisville or even Rutgers with their nasty defense.

giving a team 1 month to prepare for 1 game is not the same as having to meet teams of Georgia's calibre week in and week out - but I do gve West Va. credit for beating GA last year in the Sugar Bowl. they have the talent, why the limit themselves to playing Eastern Washington out of conference and then cry foul when no one gives them credit is beyond me?

yeah, remember how Pitt (Big East Champ) got smoked by Utah in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago? i wonder why you didnt bring that up?

dunno if the Big East is fucked until 2011, i havent seen any of their teams schedule for 2007 or 2008. who knows, maybe they have actually be succesfull in scheduling better out of conference opponents. Ohio State is playing USC in 2008 and 2009 (less than 5 years) and playing Miami, FL in 2010 (less than 5 years).

giving a team 1 month to prepare for 1 game is not the same as having to meet teams of Georgia's calibre week in and week out - but I do gve West Va. credit for beating GA last year in the Sugar Bowl. they have the talent, why the limit themselves to playing Eastern Washington out of conference and then cry foul when no one gives them credit is beyond me?

yeah, remember how Pitt (Big East Champ) got smoked by Utah in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago? i wonder why you didnt bring that up?

Pitt 2 years ago is not as strong at the Big East teams now...even last year.

And you keep bringing up Eastern Washington - who's Florida playing this week?

as for Rutgers beeing #2 in the comoputer polls, look at week 11 polls and week 12 polls - Rutgers gained 300 point just 'cos they beat #3 Lousville - just on 1 game. Lousville had beaten #3 West Va. the week before and only jumped 90 points.

after this week either's Ohio State's or Michigan's points will be the highest in the computer poll 'cos they are playing each other.

Pitt 2 years ago is not as strong at the Big East teams now...even last year.

And you keep bringing up Eastern Washington - who's Florida playing this week?

and who is Florida playing next week? don't tell me Florida-Florida State will be a cake walk for the Gators? and what will Florida be playing in 2 weeks from now? the SEC title game against a top 10 opponent.

a couple of years ago they had Miami in their scehdule - so on top of playing 4-5 ranked opponents in the SEC they had to play Miami and Florida State just for kicks. Tennessee also played a home and home series with Miami a few years ago.

who is Rutgers playing this week? Cinci 3-2 out of conference (their two wins against Eastern Kentucky, Miami, OH, and Akron- quality!) and next week? Syracuse 3-2 out of conference (Illinois, Miami, OH, and Wyoming - all quality).

hell, last year Lousville got smoked by USF. i dunno, i love my school, but getting smoked by USF is not the same as getting smoked by FSU.

and who is Florida playing next week? don't tell me Florida-Florida State will be a cake walk for the Gators? and what will Florida be playing in 2 weeks from now? the SEC title game against a top 10 opponent.

Actually Florida is playing a powerhouse school this week...Western Carolina - but I know they'll be a tougher game than Eastern Washington :laugh:

FSU got smoked at home to Wake Forest, so I would suggest it'll be a cake walk, but Florida's is having trouble with teams they should beat so it'll probably be a competitive (but not a good) game.

Actually Florida is playing a powerhouse school this week...Western Carolina - but I know they'll be a tougher game than Eastern Washington :laugh:

FSU got smoked at home to Wake Forest, so I would suggest it'll be a cake walk, but Florida's is having trouble with teams they should beat so it'll probably be a competitive (but not a good) game.

i know they are playing Western Carolina, they rank right up there with Eastern Washington. dial a win!

yes, Florida State got shut out at home to Wake last week, but its still an in-state series match up. How was Florida State raked when the season started? #11. and you dont mention the SEC title game - against #5 Arkansas. funny you overlook that. and you dont thinl South Carolina played even harder last week 'cos Steve Spurrier is their coach?

btw, against who was West Virginia's only loss in the regular season last year? at home to Virginia Tech - only quality non-conference team they played all year. wow. coincidence? where the hell is Wofford? 'cos West Virginia played them last year as well.

btw, 2008 and 2009, Florida and Miami already signed up for a home and home series.

Tennesse goes to Cal next year and plays at home to NC State and goes to UCLA in 2008.

Georgia plays Ga.Tech every year and next year they play Oklahoma State.

i'm willing to bet any of those teams are better than Wofford.

LSU is home to Va. Tech next year; they got an open date in 2008 tho - go tell Lousville or Rutgers to ring 'em up. 2 open dates in 2010.

Alabama plays Florida State next year in Jacksonville.

ok, but Lousville nad West Va. would rather play Wofford and Eastern Kentucky Community College and expect to be taken seriously - w00t!