Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dj Icey @ Bleu (friday Dec. 15)

The Uncommon Cool of DJ Icey

By Amy Hubbarth

Dec 13, 2006, 23:00

Email this article

Printer friendly page

iceybkgd.jpg

So how in the heck would someone from Florida, home of sandy beaches and half-naked women, choose a DJ name that pretty much means the complete opposite? “When I was 18, we were all avid surfers and would get up very early to hit the beach for dawn patrol. When I would go to bed I would turn the AC in our apartment down to 55 degrees and it would be freezing in the morning, [my roommates] started calling me ‘Icey’ and that is how I got my name.†His name was first spelled Icee, until the makers of a frozen drink-treat so kindly asked him to change it.

This Orlando native is one of the hardest working DJs in the biz, playing about a hundred gigs a year. He got his start back in the early-'90s, landing a residency at the legendary Edge club. After the club closed, he took to constant touring, putting breakbeat on the map, created a long discography, including a claim as the first American DJ to record a notable Essential Mix and started two record labels, Tree and Zone Recordings. He’s used to playing a crowded dancefloor and you’ll see everyone from the breakdancers to the club kids soaking up the intense energy that Icey brings to rock out every gig. The “King of Funky Breaks†took a minute from his busy schedule to answer some Real D inquiries.

Real Detroit: What’s up? How was your holiday?

DJ Icey: Thanksgiving was hectic, as I played a show in Washington D.C. on Wednesday, flew home, ate turkey and then flew up to the Panhandle for a show on Friday in Pensacola. But at least I got my turkey in!

RD: Any plans for new studio work from you?

DJ Icey: I am currently in the studio recording tracks for my next mix CD coming out on March 6 called Disco Rodeo. It drops on the Moist Music label out of NYC that is home to DJ Irene and George Acosta, so I will be their first breaks CD release.

RD: What’s the hot record in your bag right now?

DJ Icey: Keith Mac Allstars, some new Stanton Warriors tunes!

RD: What is it about breaks?

DJ Icey: I just fell in love with the brokenbeat sound around 1990, before then there really were no boundaries or genres, DJs played all styles, I came up on Belgian New Beat and Acid House and Industrial music, and fell in love with the breakbeat sound I heard by early Frankie Bones and Omar Santana records out of NYC back in the day.

RD: What brought you to this world of electronic music, in general?

DJ Icey: I was always a record collector and loved electronic music from New Order and Kraftwerk on, DJing happened by accident after making mixtapes with the pause button of a old tape recorder for my surfing buddy at New Smyrna Beach Inlet back in the day.

RD: What is the most rewarding thing about your career?

DJ Icey: The most rewarding thing is I can actually make music as a producer and spin music as a DJ for a living, as I am a 100 percent music lover manic.

RD: You do a lot of touring. How do you keep yourself sane?

DJ Icey: Well you get used to being on the road and your body anticipates the travel, I have been on the road every weekend pretty much for the last eight years! I try to eat well and take my vitamins and drink my pomegranate juice! | RDW

DJ Icey • December 15 • Bleu Room Experience