Clubplanet Nightlife Community

First NBA Player Comes Out!

drdoom

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2007-02-07-amaechi_x.htm?csp=34

Former NBA center Amaechi to come out

By Gene Farris, USA TODAY

Former NBA player John Amaechi will announce he is gay during an interview on ESPN's Outside the Lines at 9:30 a.m. ET Sunday, his publicist, Howard Bragman, said Wednesday.

Amaechi's announcement coincides with the Feb. 13 release of his autobiography, Man in the Middle, which will be published by ESPN Books.

Bragman did not say why Amaechi decided to announce his sexual orientation.

"I'd really like John to go into the whys and wherefores," Bragman said. "This is a really personal issue."

He said Amaechi is in his native England this week and is expected to return to the United States on Saturday.

"John was never deep in the closet," Bragman said. "(Amaechi's homosexuality) wasn't the best-kept secret in the world."

READ AND REACT: Small group knew at Penn State

Though Bragman said he is not aware of any official reaction from the NBA or the Utah Jazz, the team Amaechi spent most of his career with, "John told me he has gotten (dozens) of supportive emails."

"I think just the act of coming out makes you an activist," Bragman said. "John has been an activist most of his career. He's going to tackle on a new community now."

According to Amaechi's website, he is involved in the ABC Foundation, a group that encourages youths to become involved in sports.

Bragman said Amaechi will work with established gay-rights groups, but declined to name them.

Amaechi, a 6-10 center, played college basketball at Penn State and averaged 6.2 points in his five-year NBA career with Cleveland, Orlando and Utah. He retired in 2003. He signed with the Cavaliers in 1995-96, then played in Europe before joining the Magic in 2000. He played two seasons each for the Magic and Jazz.

John Gabriel, Orlando's general manager when Amaechi played for the Magic, said the team was unaware that Amaechi was gay.

"He played well for us," Gabriel said. "He played the best basketball of his career."

Wayne Embry, president of the Cavaliers when Amaechi was in Cleveland, declined to comment.

TNT analyst Steve Kerr, who played 15 seasons in the NBA, praised Amaechi.

"I don't think it's a big deal at all," Kerr said. "I don't think it's surprising. That's life. Everyone is different. I applaud him for coming out."

Amaechi would be the latest athlete to announce his or her homosexuality. Sheryl Swoopes, a three-time WNBA MVP who currently plays for the Houston Comets, came out last year. Former Minnesota Vikings player Esera Tualo and major-league baseball player Billy Bean came out after their careers were over.