bxbomb

EPL is going american

Wasnt Jayz lookin to buy arsenal?

Kroenke buys stake in Arsenal

By PAT GRAHAM, AP Sports Writer

April 5, 2007

AP - Apr 5, 3:31 pm EDT

More Photos

DENVER (AP) -- Colorado businessman Stan Kroenke bought a 9.99 percent stake in London's Arsenal soccer team from the British television network ITV.

Kroenke, a real estate developer who owns the Denver Nuggets, the Colorado Avalanche and the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer, said Thursday that he also entered into "conditional arrangements" with ITV involving the sale of ITV's 50 percent share in Arsenal Broadband Limited.

The total value of the deals would be approximately $128.1 million, Kroenke's company said in a statement.

A spokesman for Kroenke Sports Enterprises wouldn't comment on whether Kroenke would attempt to buy Arsenal outright down the road.

"It's always been our policy not to speculate on any investments," said Paul Andrews, executive vice president and chief marketing officer for Kroenke Sports. "We hold pretty tight to that policy."

Kroenke Sports announced in February it had formed a marketing alliance with the Arsenal club to exchange business, commercial and marketing information, and share coaching and training philosophies.

"We really have a tremendous amount of respect for Arsenal and the way they manage their team," Andrews said.

Andrews said the marketing alliance led to Kroenke's interest in Arsenal.

"It's fair to say he was impressed with them and made this investment due to the respect he gained in that process," Andrews said.

Andrews wouldn't comment on whether the Rapids planned to change their name to Arsenal.

When the marketing alliance was announced, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insisted it did not mean Kroenke was buying the London team.

"(The deal) is not for a takeover," Wenger said in February. "There are enough Americans in the league now."

Kroenke, who is also a co-owner of the St. Louis Rams, is the latest American businessman to invest in a European soccer team.

Tom Hicks and George Gillette Jr. recently completed their takeover of the Liverpool soccer team. Hicks owns baseball's Texas Rangers and the NHL's Dallas Stars, and Gillette owns the NHL's Montreal Canadiens.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer controls Manchester United, and Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner took over Aston Villa this season.

The Rapids will open the MLS season Saturday against D.C. United in Dick's Sporting Goods Park, a new 18,000-seat soccer complex in the Denver area that includes 24 lighted fields and is one of the largest soccer parks in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

truth be told the possibility that chelski and manu might have to face each other 3 times in the span of 14days to decide 3 titles is pretty much unheard of.

may 9 - EPL manu at chelski

may 19 - FA Cup final

may 23 - Champions League Final

of course, the last, i am homefull, wont happen, 'cos Liverpool will be in that final, hopefully against Milan.

right....just continue to underestimate the team unity Chels has going for it right now considering theyre basically playing to keep Mourinho @ the Bridge..also continue to hang your hat on the the ease with which u put PSV away....knowing that if u faced Valencia they wouldve ran all over u...

all this BS about russian oligarchs ...when your precious Liverpool also has enough cash to splash around for whoever the fuck they want..not to mention the majority of Roman's major acquistions are for the most part useless..(sheva....ballack..khalid...SWP unfortunately)...the only one that panned out was Essien and Bridge..but u cant say a 6.6m pound transfer fee was significant..

right....just continue to underestimate the team unity Chels has going for it right now considering theyre basically playing to keep Mourinho @ the Bridge..also continue to hang your hat on the the ease with which u put PSV away....knowing that if u faced Valencia they wouldve ran all over u...

all this BS about russian oligarchs ...when your precious Liverpool also has enough cash to splash around for whoever the fuck they want..not to mention the majority of Roman's major acquistions are for the most part useless..(sheva....ballack..khalid...SWP unfortunately)...the only one that panned out was Essien and Bridge..but u cant say a 6.6m pound transfer fee was significant..

yeah, everyone had us out against Barcelona. they were gonna demolish us, run over us. hmmm . . . how did that pan out? and who is leading the Spanish League? its not Valencia.

PSV was a cakewalk 'cos they were full of injuries, i'll admit, but injuries are part of the game, so I cant do anything about that. and check out all the injuries Valencia had for their 2 matches against Chelsea, hell, they have been a hospital ALL YEAR LONG.

as for $$$, we all know Roman has the deepest pockets in the EPL by far.

its up to Mourinho and Roman to settle whatever the hell is going on between them. Roman would be an idiot in letting him go, but if he does, that might as well be the begining of the end of Chelsea's current success, 'cos whether you like him or hate him, you gotta admit that Mourinho is a helluva coach.

edit:

equally - i would've enjoyed seeing an inter-chelski match up as well as a valencia-liverpool ('cos Rafa's previous team was Valencia)

yeah, everyone had us out against Barcelona. they were gonna demolish us, run over us. hmmm . . . how did that pan out? and who is leading the Spanish League? its not Valencia.

PSV was a cakewalk 'cos they were full of injuries, i'll admit, but injuries are part of the game, so I cant do anything about that. and check out all the injuries Valencia had for their 2 matches against Chelsea, hell, they have been a hospital ALL YEAR LONG.

as for $$$, we all know Roman has the deepest pockets in the EPL by far.

its up to Mourinho and Roman to settle whatever the hell is going on between them. Roman would be an idiot in letting him go, but if he does, that might as well be the begining of the end of Chelsea's current success, 'cos whether you like him or hate him, you gotta admit that Mourinho is a helluva coach.

edit:

equally - i would've enjoyed seeing an inter-chelski match up as well as a valencia-liverpool ('cos Rafa's previous team was Valencia)

you wana talk about injuries in the champions league? were currently playing without Robben..we spent months w/out Terry...Essien's first game back was the 2nd leg against Valencia...both of our goalies were out for prolonged periods of time...so spare me the "injury" talk cause no team has been injured and done more than Chelsea this year..

speaking of Barca..we took care of them in the group phase..so they really weren't in form this year...

as for Mourinho..LOVE HIM...love his cocky attitude..love his tactics..love everything about him..he's a great manager...i liked Ranieri..and loved Vialli..but the man has taken the Blues where noone else could..and to let him go would be absurd..Roman is just pissed because Mourinho wants to do things his own way..and Roman just wants to buy any1. if u look @ the acquisitions Mourinho made you have to admit theyre all performing at a class level...unlike Roman's suggestions.

on an unrelated note...i present to you the greatest goal since Maradona making England look like fools..Oh Messi Oh Messi

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1r2zp_gol-de-messi-al-getafe-180407

well there ya go. that is why Chelski has a FULL squad of internationals (or recent internationals), 'cos they know they have a demanding schedule and that injuries happen.

Valencia doesnt have the same $$$$ as Chelski, so if someone gets injured, or up to 6 of their starters like it happened earlier in the season, chances are, they don't have a Ghanian national team member, or a dutch, or german, or Ukrainian, or English, or portuguese, or nigerian national team member on the bench to plug in - they probably have to bring in people from their youth squad to substitute them.

SQUAD DEPTH - no comparison. chelsea can afford to have it.

i also dont buy the BS Mourinho is saying that Liverpool is the favorite 'cos they have a less demanding schedule. retard (i'm talking about mourinho) that is why you have the squad you have, 'cos you are expected to compete for 4 trophies.

xabi alonso, luis garcia, crouch, fabio aurelio, riise, sissoko, palettam, kewell have all missed or are missing time for liverpool this year.

sorry, chelsea's excuse for injuries and the demanding schedule just doesnt fly when you have the squad they've got.

i still think maradona's goal was better.

i love how u keep presenting liverpool as this team with no income..like theyre Wigan or the Blades...like they're doing all this on grit and determination...point is they have one of THE largest..if not LARGEST fan bases of any team in the world..and im not talking about 3rd world fan bases like Red Star..or Galatassaray..or Fenherbache...im talking about a fan base with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ..

and whats wrong with going out and getting international talent to fill the gaps?? we're not paying ridiculous transfer fees for these young players..what did we pay for robben? chump change..same thing goes with diarra...bridge..cole...mikel..sweep..etc..the only money we threw down on a young player was Essien..and thats paying off handsomely....

so all this crap about us spending money..yes ..we do spend the $..but we dont spend it recklessly like Real and have nothing to show for it...u have to tip ur hat to the Chelsea scouts being able to locate these young players and bring them into the team...

and no matter how talented a player is..if he isnt in form..it doesnt matter..so Mourinho complaining about injuries is absolutely warranted..when you've been playing with ur 11 for half the season..and 2 -3-4 of ur mainstays go down..and now u have to move Essien to his unnatural position..or plug the holes with Mikel or Diarra...who arent in match form..how do u expect him not to complain?

yeah, tell me again how much money abramovich has spent on chelski since bought the team? 140 for the team and 100 for transfers the 1st year? yeah, A LOT OF TEAMS HAVE THAT CA$H HANDY.

tell me how much money ken bates spent on the team before he sold it?

21 million pounds for SWP? thats "chump change?"

a total of 16 million for Obi Mikel? (12 to ManU?) chump change?

how much for Cashley? 5 mill plus Gallas, who was probably valued at 17-20 million?

24 million for Drogba?

20 for Carvalho?

17 for Crespo? (he's still property of Chelsea)

15 for an over the hill Veron? (still property of Chelsea)

24 for Essien?

etc. etc. etc.

and mind you a lot of these players got to chelsea, THE SAME YEAR.

you gota pay to play..like any other big team (and that is what Cheslea is now)....

how much did berlusconi just put aside for ronaldinho?? 100m! ...according to your own post thats the full amount Chels paid for their players...so lets see...a full squad for 100m...vs one player...hmm..tough call...

and a lot of teams have that money to throw around..Man U does...Real does..Milan does..all top flight teams..so why does Chelsea get the raw end of the argument? cause theyre the new kid slapping all the old bullies around...

you gota pay to play..like any other big team (and that is what Cheslea is now)....

how much did berlusconi just put aside for ronaldinho?? 100m! ...according to your own post thats the full amount Chels paid for their players...so lets see...a full squad for 100m...vs one player...hmm..tough call...

and a lot of teams have that money to throw around..Man U does...Real does..Milan does..all top flight teams..so why does Chelsea get the raw end of the argument? cause theyre the new kid slapping all the old bullies around...

oh yeah, and "home grown talent?" thats like a obscene term for chelsea.

manu? yeah they spend a boatload of cash, but the thread is about chelski, i could start on manu, but i do give them credit that they do make an attempt in developing some of their own young players.

real madrid? my hate for chelsea and manu PALES in comparison for my absolute LOATHE of real madrid.

actually, the 100million pounds berlusconi is said to have put aside for ronaldinho, 55 was for the transfer and 45 for his salary. which of course, when we talk about the $$$ chelsea has spent (and which you acknowledged in your post) those amounts were just transfers. we aint looking at salary. i'm sure a lot of teams can afford lampard's, terry's, essien's, schevchenko's, etc. 100,000 to 200,000 pound a week salary.

yeah, tell me again how much money abramovich has spent on chelski since bought the team? 140 for the team and 100 for transfers the 1st year? yeah, A LOT OF TEAMS HAVE THAT CA$H HANDY.

tell me how much money ken bates spent on the team before he sold it?

21 million pounds for SWP? thats "chump change?"

a total of 16 million for Obi Mikel? (12 to ManU?) chump change?

how much for Cashley? 5 mill plus Gallas, who was probably valued at 17-20 million?

24 million for Drogba?

20 for Carvalho?

17 for Crespo? (he's still property of Chelsea)

15 for an over the hill Veron? (still property of Chelsea)

24 for Essien?

etc. etc. etc.

and mind you a lot of these players got to chelsea, THE SAME YEAR.

Vic, you have to remember a lot of the earlier players that came in weren't Ranieri's choices, but solely those of Sven-Göran Eriksson who Abramovich wanted to take over the club. I'm glad Mourinho is confident and didn't resign to being pushed over by the domineering oligarch. Look who the Roman Empire purchased - (Veron, Crespo) and wanted to purchase (Nedved, Nesta) - all guys who played under Sven back when he was coaching Nazio.

Chelsea started to achieve success when Roman brought in the Special One, as they were in sync. Now that seems history especially w/ differences over Sheva, Ballack, etc.

actually, the 100million pounds berlusconi is said to have put aside for ronaldinho, 55 was for the transfer and 45 for his salary. which of course, when we talk about the $$$ chelsea has spent (and which you acknowledged in your post) those amounts were just transfers. we aint looking at salary. i'm sure a lot of teams can afford lampard's, terry's, essien's, schevchenko's, etc. 100,000 to 200,000 pound a week salary.

Not trying to defend Milan at all, but in order for Ronaldinho to come in, it's expected that Kaka would be inevitably sold off to Madrid. Also, Milan has been quite miserly recently, as this summer they only purchased Ricardo Oliveria and Daniel Bonera on the cheap, before they brought in Ronaldo this past winter.

Liverpool is starting to follow Arsenal's notorious example and steal youth players from other clubs with little compensation. This is seen throughout the youth system - as it's filled with Spanish kids, the Ghanian defender and the Dutch kid they recently stole from Ajax.

yeah. Arsenal raids the French league, and Liverpool is starting to turn itself into the best Spanish youth system outside of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

French and Spanish law has to change in order for it to stop happening.