Clubplanet Nightlife Community

jan 24-26 DJ SPOOKY @ the ICA unofficial RISE PRE-PARTY :)

craigmitchell

I've seen Spooky do his thing before, have listened to many of his mixes, and have read his columns in PAPER and various other magazines. He TRULY takes the music and does more than just find a genre, the best records and mixes them together flawlessly...he tells a story, he experiments, he turns himself inside out through the music to show you how to some he's OUT THERE to others...he's BRAVE...while others, like myself, think he's BRILLIANT!

I am going to check out the Saturday, as I'm out of town for the first two nights (lecture and DJ set, respectively), but it would b cool to vibe with some of you before my night at Rise...OR, even if I'm not your cup of tea, check out Spooky if you can...I think that even if you don't get it, you'll be compelled to respect him.

:)

(it's MY Rise pre party)

DJ Spooky: Talks, Spins, Entertains, Edifies at the ICA

Thurs. Jan. 24 - Sat. Jan. 28

More and more, we're getting used to the new (well, one-year old, now) Institute of Contemporary Art as a performance venue. It's not a rock club, of course, but it doesn't mind taking cues from the rock scene and booking acts you might have seen before at, says, the Paradise. (Think Patti Smith and Mission of Burma.) From Thurs. Jan. 24 through Sat. Jan. 26, the ICA has a weekend of programming by conceptual artist Paul D. Miller, who you may know as DJ Spooky That Subliminal Kid. Here's the skinny:

On Thursday at 6:30, Spooky gives a talk on "Rhythm Science." It will be based on his award-winning collection of essays, 2004's "Rhythm Science." Miller's talk will explore the hidden connections between collage-based aesthetics and what he likes to call the "politics of perception." He'll address some of the issues that modern artists face: intellectual property, ownership of ideas, and above all, how art navigates the complex culture of digital media. Tickets: $12.

On Friday, from 8 pm - 12 midnight the program is "Experiment: DJ Spooky," which is a mix of art, music, food and drink. DJ Spooky spins in the lobby, which is turned into a giant dance floor for the occasion. Take time to explore the galleries and Mediatheque, and sample fare from Wolfgang Puck catering while kicking back in the theater lounge. The evening will also feature Ghostdad / Kingdon / DJ Lone Wolf in the lobby downstairs, DJ Die Young and Baltimoroder spinning minimal techno in the theater's multimedia lounge upstairs. Tickets: $20.

On Saturday at 8 pm it's performance time: "DJ Spooky - Subliminal Strings." This collage should nicely blur the lines between hip-hop, electronic music and classical music composition. As DJ Spooky explains, "The project is an excursion into the possibilities of sampling applied to collage-based media. Think of it as a 21st century update for the idea of collage - a string ensemble will play and be sampled 'live,' building a bridge between digital culture and the traditions of composers as diverse as Bach, Mozart, Gotan Project, The Doors, Radiohead, Michael Nyman, David Bowie and Wagner." Tickets: $20.

100 Northern Avenue, 617-478-3100 www.icaboston.org