Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Philadelphia

I'm 24 as well. I work in One Liberty at 16th and Chestnut downtown. I usually hang out at Transit as of late. Used to be Evolution, and before that Shampoo and Babylon (last summer only, after that it got wack!). I went to Whistle 3 the other weekend, and am thinking about going to Bang, but I'm not sure yet. If I'm not in Philly, I'm at the clubs in NY and DC. I'm trying to check out the clubs down the shore, but my girl keeps getting sick on me and my boys are broke. What's up with that? How about you, where do you chill?

------------------

Keep it movin'!

Corporate

djcorporate@hotmail.com

I'm down. Is anyone going to Bang 4? I wrote the the clubmaster and asked him about a Philly board, so we'll see what he says. How many of us are there? Post where you're from and if you'd be interested in a meet up sometime...

Oh, I'm from Philly and live in Bucks County right now, but am moving to Center City in August (24 yrs. old, male).

------------------

Keep it movin'!

Corporate

djcorporate@hotmail.com

I don't really like Shampoo anymore. Last year it was good, but towards the winter it seems like everyone there was doing it for the first time. Not the same crowd or vibe, and they oversell that place every week. I hate that area by the bathroom, trying to fight your way to the dancefloor is a bitch. Transit is phat. The place is much bigger, and the vibe is cool. Everyone gets dressed up which is nice, and the dj's are much better than Robbie Tronco (what a joke he is). Plasmic Honey on Thurs. should be phat though, I'll def. have to check that out soon. I've been to studio a lot, but stay away during the summer b/c it gets too packed, and digustingly hot in there. Never been to delirium, but have been to deja vu (no comment). Do you come back to Philly often, or are you gone for the summer?

------------------

Keep it movin'!

Corporate

djcorporate@hotmail.com

I am in town Mon-Wed night this week and was wondering what was up on the first half of the week if anything.

I'm from the NYC area, now, late from Detroit. It's great being a corp. tool!

j_dogg

------------------

• 1 month later...

yo!

philly here....yeah we def. need a philly board up in here....im 20/m but i got cards so i am 25 on the weekends haha....been to deco, envy, chemistry, shampoo, egypt, etc. I actually just got a job as a dancer at shampoo...deco is cool, envy is okay, chemistry is my chill spot, and you either love or hate egypt and shampoo....peese

M>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am trying to get some kind of Philly board together. Transit is definitely the place to be now. Shampoo sucks these days. The dancefloor is so small and the music too housy for me. I still love Evolution. I am bummed that it has died. We need to get a crowd back there. Rob Lee spins great music on Sat. They are under new management now.

Transit is good on Wed and Fri.

Hopefully Philly will get on the board. I am willing to help with it!!

Kat

• 3 weeks later...

I want to put a philly board together, down here now during the year. I've chlled at Envy, pretty good, at Evolution, a bit small juice-head crowd, Egypt, sucks, Warehouse, sucks, Baja, sucks, ...all hte clubs in philly suck, where is everyone going? I need to get out ot Manayunk ot check out Chemistry and also make it up to Transit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm into the Philly scene too, even though it seems like the crowd is going downhill, at least since last summer... seems like the clubs that used to be more exclusive are letting more trash in... maybe because they can't go to Baja anymore, lol! Definitely up for a Philly board on here...

Lamby

TRANSIT is the spot in Philly...That place is awesome...Its new, modern, music is awesome, hot late night events..."The 22nd Jonathan Peters is coming down from N.Y.C!"..U have to check it out. Evolution is once again the spot to be too... The new managemant did a great job. And Rob Lee spins his ass off!...Shampoo is slowly sliding...However..."A Face Lift/Renovation Is Coming, Or So The Staff Tells Me!...And STOP going to those beat ass places like babylon..even tho Plasmic Honey is there every now and then(gotta love him) its still a beat place...and Envy couldn't beat my house with a rave...Chemisty and all those faggy Manyunk places suck..and deco is Guwido heaven every night..and Egypt, well theres a reason why they have so many kiddy nights..cause its a faggy kiddy place...Please Stick to the main clubs in philly...TRANSIT..EVOLUTION..AND SHAMPOO(i still consider it good)

[This message has been edited by shadowman (edited 09-11-2000).]

Hey for all you Philly clubber's check it out. My friends and I are getting some shit together to post on a promotion web page. We are trying to get Philly recognized, so I need major feedback. We have been to every club in Philly and basically everyone in NYC. We know what's up, but we want to here what you think. These other promo pages don't know what us musically inclined clubber's are looking for in a club. Let's think for a minute, what makes or breaks a night at any club anywhere in the world. THE MUSIC!! This is why we need to get Philly recognized. These corp promo pages think that if they say their are hot guys/girls there it will reel in the crowd...hell no, it's the beats and who's spinnin 'em. Well, to make a long story short we need your feed back so if you are serious about gettin philly up there, post a reply or email me at dkrubia@hotmail.com.

I live in the Allentown area now, but I still try to get out to the clubs in Philly when I can. Haven't been to Shampoo in months, since Easter Sunday...

It sucks cause there's no place to roll and go out up here!

Where's the place to go now? Is Shampoo still cool? What about Transit?

Do you need a membership?

I saw something about "Bang" on here too?

Thanks!

I got news for everyone out there in Philly clubland. We are lagging really far behind as far as vibe, music diversity, and choices. By no means do I want to bash the scene, but after traveling extensively throughout the major US cities and spending extended trips to England and Holland, the scene here is sooo monotonous.

At any given weekend night, you can hit Evolution, Shampoo, Transit, Chemistry, etc. and hear the SAME songs being played over and over and over again. The talent in the booths dramatically lacking. How long are we going to try and immitate the crappy NY progressive house scene (a la Exit, Soundfactory, etc.).

I briefly stopped into Transit for Tenaglia's night a couple months ago, and the people there just didn't get it. Musically, they were looking for the same shitty 4 to the floor bullshit that "superstar DJ" Robbie Tronco pushes. How could you not get Tenaglia's sound?? He's easily one of the top spinners in the world.

Alot of top DJs view this city in the same light. They're not going to book a big night here, when they can get a ten fold greater response in NY or DC.

As a result, the scene is now saturated with crackheads, guido's, mafia want-a-be's and hoochies who are strictly there to "be cool" and make a dime on selling bullshit pills. The whole element of being there "for the music" takes a back seat and hence, the vibe suffers.

Something has to be done. The electricity has a power shortage....

P.S. support Fluid, there getting some of the best talent in the area. (and no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way)

first of all, I've been to places over seas also, ie...london, ibiza, italy, spain......aside from going to nyc and dc everyother weekend. Everyone knows that philly is draggin behind, but talkin shit is not getting anyone anywhere. because philly has been behind for so long you can't expect to put a dj who spins what's hot and who is ahead of there time up in transit and expect people to understand. There are a couple of clubs that know that also, but like i said because philly has been behind for so long, you can't just throw something at them and expect them to understand that this dj that's spinnin is hot because he has made a huge transition from progressive to disco house or uk garage and what not. Before you close the gap between the old philly scene that has been stuck in the early 90's forever.....you have to educate the crowd to what is new and what's hot and why. the only way to do that is to get someone in to the clubs that can play some of the progressive shit that has been around for a while and make a smooth transition to some new shit without loosing the crowd's attention...keepin the same vibe but steppin it up little by little. philly is defn. no twirl from nyc or platinum from dc...but it can be better than is now....it all depends on how we decide to take it on and make the move.

Chris Fortier rocked Fluid last night. It was one of the best nights I had out in Philly in a long time. Once again, Fluid comes through!!!! Hard, deep and uplifting prog. trance/house at it's finest.

Also, Bukem is at Evolution on Sunday for all the DnB heads.

Later Gaters.