Clubplanet Nightlife Community

L (magazine)…word!!!

cpnews

zach_palmer_copy.jpgThe dapper Zachary Palmer has asked your humble servant (that’s me. I'm humble! I'm one of the most humble people around, ask anyone! Or just ask me!) to be both a judge and a presenter for the second annual L Magazine awards which will happen on September 16th at Touch. I admit that the extensive ballot had me a bit baffled at times, and I leaned on a younger and more trendy crew of friends for advice when I had to. I'm not sure if this is breaking the rules, as no rules were sent, and I wouldn’t have paid attention anyway. The question on my mind is, how many of the industry professionals who read my humble blog would know how to vote? Would those that control nightlife as we know it have any idea who these people are? I think the answer is no. The L Magazine ballot would probably baffle ninety-nine percent of those making creative decisions at Manhattan nightclubs, and if that is true it’s as good an explanation of why the scene sucks as any. I’m very pleased with myself at the ripe old age of thirty-nine (ok, I got shoes that are thirty-nine) that I had an opinion and could weigh in responsibly. I’m also happy I had people to call and was only one degree of separation from a valid vote. It should also be noted that the scene that this awards ceremony speaks to is in itself only a part of the big picture; a small part, of course, of nightlife as a whole. Just as the Meatpacking and outer Chelsea scenes touched upon in the balloting are fairly one dimensional and predictable, this scene is also a clique and often close minded.

roxy.jpgWhen I operated clubs I surrounded myself with young, usually highly educated people, from many scenes. It’s ironic that so many of these people have gone on and are now owner/operators. My humble success was because I knew how to integrate the better parts of many scenes into one nightclub. I was watching this documentary on the Roxy on Logo TV the other night; Gene DiNino, who owned the place asked me to watch it. There was an interview with my pal Marc Berkley in which he said that the gay scene post Roxy had become so specialized that there were bars that catered to every whim or specialized group. There were bars he quipped that catered to ‘Asian men who likes black men from Brazil, and there's a bar for you.’ And that the scene was so spread out that a mega club was no longer valid. I disagree. I think a mega club is not only valid but is necessary if New York nightlife is to thrive again. Mansion, a giant club, does not deal with a diversified crowd. It caters to basically one or two crowds. When I spoke of its’ potential it was based on my belief that Mark Baker would integrate a diverse New York trendy scene into the euros and the Miami Vice set that came with the brand, and now populate the joint. In the beginning I think he tried, but the need to make money relegated all scenes except those that buy bottles to second class citizenship. The art of a big club is making everyone feel like they belong. Although Mansion is still standing I can’t say that it has lived up to its’ potential. Knowing Mark I believe he has tried his best to encourage diversity, but the Miami elitists who control Mansion aren’t as broad minded.

al_gore.jpgMarquee, which often has a corporate image, actually does the most of any of the clubs to mix the young trendies with the model/bottle cult. It's the reason that it is still successful after so many years. Marquee management is constantly seeking out the next generation and backing that class with money and music. Now even I, your humble servant, can't be all things to all people, but at least there is an attempt, at Marquee, to embrace "exclusive diversity" as a marketing strategy. Most clubs are catering to a single crowd and their concept or "sentence" is "come here and you will hang with people like you". There are too many clubs to support this promotional strategy. There are too many clubs run by followers who believe they know what they are doing because they have watched and learned how to cater to one crowd. Clubs will have to diversify in order to fill their rooms and odd nights. Those owners that can adjust to this climate change will survive, the rest will go extinct. If I'm sounding a bit like Al Gore projecting doom, I’ll humbly accept the comparison. It's the end of the world as they know it and again, if I did anything better than the rest, I can humbly say it was mixing and combining crowds. This is again the way it will have to be to survive in most cases. Welcome to my world.

Good Night,

Mr. Lewis

Written by Steve Lewis.

Edited by Jessica Tocko.

Editor’s Note: Following is the L Magazine Awards ballot. Steve has already voted, but we’d love for you to put your two sense in.

The L Magazine is New York City's local magazine; a dynamic and comprehensive city guide for young New Yorkers. By fusing the methodology of an alternative publication with the hard content of an event and city guide, the magazine has created a new model. The first issue was published in April of 2003, and issues are distributed free every week (105,000 ABC audited) to the heart of New York City. Zachary David Palmer has served as Nightlife Editor, a role which he originated since November 2005.

*Mix of Nightlife and Fashion:

Nominees:

#1: BYTE

#2: Disco Down

#3: High Voltage, Ether, Six Six Sick, Trouble and Bass, Ruff Club, Minou, Fashion Indie, Luxe Presents... Parties, Stereo-Type, Cut NYC, TRASH!

*Mix of Nightlife and Live Music:

Nominees:

#1: Lit

#2: Minou, Cheeky Bastard

#3: Phat Baby, Famous Friends Parties, Santos, Studio B

*Mix of Nightlife and Art:

Nominees:

#2: Beatrice, Supreme Trading, Arlo + Esme, Galapagos, Stereo-Type, Glasslands, Hugs, "Mondays at Lit"

*Most Thriving Scene:

Nominees:

#1: Electro

#2: Metropolitan, Williamsburg, Bushwick, "hipster crap"

#3: Ruff, Annex, shoegaze revival, it's mushed up (as in, no real scenes), DIY, downtown rock scene, the bathroom line, "anywhere but Manhattan"

All-Night Train:

Nominees:

#1: L train

#2: JMZ

#3: "none!"

#4: J (singular), G, R, F

2007: A train

Car Service:

Nominees:

#1: Metropolitan in Williamsburg, Northside

#2: Arecibo

#3: McGuinness, New Brooklyn, New Bell, Yellow Cab, 7777777 Carmel, Mobil, TKOmri's Party Wagon and Falafel Bus, bikes

2007: Taxi

Fashion Trend:

Nominees:

#1: Glitter

#2: neck-brace, staying in

#3: worst- boys with exposed chests/low v-necks, "being demure would be a great trendâ€, large bows, brown leather dress shoes, 80s bathing suits as onesies, "the absense of oneâ€,

being yourself, headbands over foreheads, over-sized glasses, clothing optional, "anything but shutter shadesâ€, "fuck trends," glowsticks, Pokemon vomit

2007: Fanny Pack

Post-Clubbing Food:

Nominees:

#1: Ray's Pizza, Punjabi, San Loco

#2: Yaffa

#3: Pizza

#4: Around the Clock, crepes, sandwiches at Hanna's, Salonike, Koronet Pizza, Big Easy, anytime, the Flame, it is not healthy to eat that late, Anna Maria's, NYC bodega-scene, Hana Deli, 7A, Cafeteria, wraps, cottage cheese/hummus/milk/cashews

2007: San Loco

Night to Go Out:

Nominees:

#1: Thursday

#2: Tuesday

#3: Friday

#4: Wednesday

#5: Saturday

2007: Friday

New Song:

Nominees:

1. Kingdom, Dave Gahan

2. Kids, MGMT; Lower East Side, Santogold; Shut up & Let Me Go, The Ting Tings; I Love NY, Drop the Lime; Paper Plates, MIA; I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance, Black Kids; Breakfast, Le Le; Man's Needs, The Cribs; Pop Levi, Mai's Space; Electric Feel, MGMT; MIA Bamboo Banga; No Biterz, Miss TK & The Revenge; Crimeware, Crystal Castles; Tony the Beat, The Sounds

*Female Hard Rock DJ:

Nominees:

#1: Theo Kogan, Carin Shock

#2: Shar Gorgiiss, Lauren Flax, Lady Starlight

*In-Park Party/Festival/DJ Performance:

Nominees:

#1: Paul Van Dyk

#2: BEMF, McCarren Park, Santogold at Summer Stage, Diplo and A-Trak at Summer Stage, Siren Music Festival, Sundays Best at The Yard, Kevin Saunderson at The Yard, Jelly, The Yard

Record Label:

Nominees:

#1: iheartcomix

#2: Epic, DIY, Tiger Sushi, Tesco Distributions, Flagrant Fowl, Kitsune, Norton Records, The Seven Inch Project, Interscope, Disco Not Disco, DFA, Palms Out, Trouble & Bass, "They all suck"

2007: Vacancy Records

DJ:

Nominees:

#1: DJ Jess

#2: Jeremy (DJ Bastard), Jake Destroyer, VDRK, Dimitry!!!

#3: DJ Eli, Lauren Flax, Alan Astor, John Tejada, Trouble & Bass crew, Alex English, Guy, Michael T, Krames, Twig the Wonderkid, Josh Houtkin, Treasure Fingers, Phast Phreddie, Honey Dijon, Chris Alker, Kids With Snakes, Sushi Steve

2007: rekLES

Rock 'n' Roll DJ:

Nominees:

#1: Twig the Wonderkid

#2: Miss Guy

*Goth (Forgive the Catch-All) Night:

Nominees:

#2: Salvation, SMack!, Weird at Home Sweet Home, Just One Fix, Manic at Trophy, Contempt, Batcave

*Underground Party:

Nominees:

#1: Copy Cat, Minou, Famous Friends, Tingle Tangle, Trouble & Bass, Rubalad, BYTE, Bodega

*Party for Live Music (Drumming, Etc.) During and/or

Between DJ Sets:

Nominees:

#1: Minou

#2: Cheeky Bastard, Soulpusher

*Party to be Abjectly Humiliated by the Emcee:

Nominees:

#1: Rated X "where's Formika?"

*Outdoor Party:

Nominees:

#1: Sundays Best at The Yard, BEMF

#2: Hope Lounge, High Bar, McCarren Pool

#3: Sunday Funday at The Yard, McCarren Park, Yard

*After Work Party:

Nominees:

#1: High Voltage, A Rock and a Hard Place, $ Drafts at Turtle Bay, The Hump at Blue Owl, Danny Krivit at Water Taxi Beach

*Salsa Night:

Nominees:

#1: Thursdays at Salsa Salon, "Flamenco is more my style," "That one on 13th b/w A & B, "Nublu?"

*Party with Live Performances (Music, Otherwise):

Nominees:

#2: Minou

#3: Ether, TRASH!, Fixed, Cheeky Bastard, PS1, The Pull-Out Method, RebelRebel, Boys & Girls, Friction, High Voltage, Soulpusher, Rated X, Shout!, The Rub

New Party:

Nominees:

#1: Disco Down

#2: Girls & Boys

#3: Minou

#4: Ether, Bottoms Up!, El Bano, Boys & Girls, Stereo-Type, Ninjasonik on Wed at Happy Ending, Tingle Tangle, Highbar, Yeah Yeah!, Trouble & Bass, Campout, The Hump, The Panty Raid

2007: High Voltage

Party:

Nominees:

#1: BYTE, TRASH!

#2: High Voltage

#3: Trouble & Bass, Rated X

#4: M, Ether, Six Six Sick, Fixed, Unstoppable Perfect, Subway Soul Club, The Pull-Out Method, Nacotheque, Stereo-Type, Cheeky Bastard, East Side Social Clvb, The Panty Raid

2007: FUN

Gay Night:

Nominees:

#1: The Filthy Party at Metropolitan, Family, Sundays at Hiro

#2: Splash, Wednesdays at Metropolitan, The Look, mr. black, "Friday (anywhere)"

2007: The Factory

Go Go:

Nominees:

#1: Amber Star

#2: Ariel

#3: Kelly Hurt, Abby (Chantilly Lace), Apathy Angel, "that hot chick at Beauty Bar on Wednesdays," Lady Starlight, Anna Copa Cabana

2007: Machine Sex

*Promoter Most Likely to Coerce You into a

Bathroom Stall:

Nominees:

#1: Michael T

#2: "Everyone"

*Promoter:

Nominees:

#1: Andy Shaw

#2: Famous Friends

#3: Jess

#4: Alex English, Frances and Lena, Twig the Wonderkid, Eamon Harkin, Alan Philips, Ruth Heronemus, One Night Stand, Dimitry, TKOmri, Cut, Michael de Guzman, Senari, "they're all drug addicts"

2007: Andy Shaw

*Burlesque Performer:

Nominees:

#1: Amber Star

#2: Stormy Leather

#3: Venus Velour, Legs Malone, Peekaboo Pointe, Tigger, Janis DiMilo, Tali DiMar, "all the TRASH! ones"

*Most Attractive Bartender:

Nominees:

#1: Aaron (40 C)

#2: Robert at Happy Ending, Matt at Union Pool, Mary Kate at Crash Mansion, Lauren Larkin, Maddy Thaler at Royal Oak, "the long-haired model at Beatrice on Fridays"

*Most Attractive Cocktail/Bottle Waitress:

Nominees:

#1: Rebel

*Drag Performer:

Nominees:

#1: Deryck Todd

#2: Trigger, Acid Betty, Rainblo, Epiphan, Peppermint Gummybear

*Gender Fuck Performer:

Nominees:

#1: Pixie Harlots

*Best-Looking Record Exec in Town:

Nominees:

#1: Nick Catchdubs

*Greatest Living Nightlife Editor:

Nominees:

#1: Zachary David Palmer

#2: Michael Musto, Seva Granik

Greatest Living New Yorker:

Nominees:

#1: Jimmy from Trash & Vaudville

#2: Michael T

#3: Dimitry!!!, Edward Gorey, Don Mattingly, Robert Deniro, Malisa Meresman, Andy Shaw, Anna Wintour, Woody Allen, Twig the Wonderkid (Antonio), Jack Walls, Jayne Country, Rosie O'Donnell, Danny Krivit

2007: Antonio

New Comer:

Nominees:

#1: Glitter Kids

#2: Keyle

#3: Patrickdoesit, Lena Utin, Ashley the pirate, Jake D., Charlotte Rose of Luxe, Peter Jay, Ruthie (Famous Friends), Senari, "class of 2012," "anyone that gives me drugs"

2007: Jason Ultra

Nightlife Photographer:

Nominees:

#1: Jess-indierotica.com, Nicky Digital

#2: Jeff-thecultureofme.com

#3: Igor-drivenbyboredom.com, Brad Walsh, Nikola

#4: Scott Rudd, Isabel-isaphoto.com, Patrick Parault, Bronques, darkroomdemons, Mr. Photog

2007: Nikola

Nightlife Icon:

Nominees:

#1: Amber Star, Dimitry!!!, Sophia Lamar, Michael T, Nicky Digital

#2: Alex English, Joey Nova, Brad Walsh, Nick Zed, Georgie Seville, Larry Tee, Mistress Formika, Darwin Ortiz, Amanda Lepore, Mr. Photog, Justine D., Gary

2007: Michael T

*Place to See DJs Spin Vinyl:

Nominees:

#1: Marquee

#2: Beauty Bar, Santos

#3: High Voltage, Studio B, Trophy, 205, Sundays Best, East Side Social Club, Love

*Spot to See Breakdancing:

Nominees:

#1: McCarren Park Track

#2: Rebel, Happy Ending with Ninjasonik, Happy Ending, Hiro on Thursdays

*Yuppie-Spotting:

Nominees:

#1: Beatrice

#2: Hiro, Manhattan

#3: Bar 13, Ruff Club, Vintage, weekends in Meatpacking, weekends in East Village, "L Magazine Nightlife Awards Party"

*Spot for Anonymous Sexual Encounters:

Nominees:

#1: Lit, The Box

#2: Don Hill's, Six Six Sick, High Voltage, Bowery Electric, Union Pool, The Cock, Chemistry NYC, TRASH!, "everywhere," "bathroom"

*Gay Club:

Nominees:

#1. Metropolitan

#2. Splash, 40 C, The Cock, Phoenix, HK

*Place to Spot Celebrities: A-List: B-List: C-List:

Nominees:

A

#1. Marquee

#2. Beatrice

B

#1. Lit

#2. Beatrice

C

#1. Lit

#2. Three of Cups

Mixed: Happy Ending, Bowery, Hiro

*Post-Breakup Night Out Spot:

Nominees:

#1: Metropolitan, Lucky Chang's, Ruff Club, Chemistry NYC, Death & Co., "stay home"

*"My Significant Other is Out of Town" Spot:

Nominees:

#1. Metropolitan, O'Conners (Brooklyn), Ruff Club, Chemistry NYC, Happy Ending, "stay home," "when my significant other is out of town, I drug myself until he comes back"

*Most Relaxed No-Smoking Policy:

Nominees:

#2: Beatrice

#3: 205

#4: Annex basement, Le Royale

*Venue Decor:

Nominees:

#1. Lucky 13 Saloon

#2. Love

#3. Hugs, Happy Ending, 205, Hope Lounge, Le Royale, Bowery Electric, Chloe's, Cielo

*Venue That Deserves Getting Dressed Up to Visit:

Nominees:

#1. Marquee

#2. Beatrice, Gansevoort, Happy Ending, Clover Club, East Side Social Club

*Most Dangerous In-Venue Staircase:

Nominees:

#1: Three of Cups

#2. Le Royale

#3. 205, Beatrice, Happy Ending, Rehab, The Pool at QT

*Venue with the Most Pretentious Line-Companions:

Nominees:

#1. Marquee

#2. 205

#3. Santos, Pink Elephant, Hiro, "who waits in line"

*Open Bar:

Nominees:

#1. Lit

#2. Minou

#3. Happy Ending Tuesdays, Disco Down, Ether, A Rock and a Hard Place, Sparks, Zygo (High Voltage), R Bar, myopenbar.com, "all"

Door Staff:

Nominees:

#1. Lit (Matt Kepler)

#2. Annex, 40 C, Ro (Annex, darkroom), Happy Ending

#3. TRASH!, darkroom, Johnny Bravo at Union Pool, Bowery Ballroom, Royal Oak, Gerard at Lolita Bar, Studio B, Don Hill's, Rahnon at The Rub, "anywhere but Hiro," "Rififi when TRASH! was there"

2007: Rififi

Bar Staff:

Nominees:

#1. 40 C (Aaron)

#2. Happy Ending, Le Royale, Beauty Bar

#3. Matt and Jess at Savalas, 40 C, Charleston, Union Pool, Last Exit, Sweet Paradise, Royale Oak, Renee Marks (Lolita Bar), Studio B, The Plumm, Hanger Bar, Lit, R Bar, Fresh Salt

Venue-Bar:

Nominees:

#1. Beauty Bar

#2. Arlo & Esme, Savalas

#3. Rodeo Bar, Motor City, Home Sweet Home, darkroom, Union Pool, Big Easy, Hugs, St. Jerome's, Cielo, Black and White, Hanger Bar, Duff's

Venue-New:

Nominees:

#1. 40 C

#2. Santos Party House

#3. Arlo & Esme

#4. Le Royale

#5. High Bar, Country Club, Trophy, Market Hotel, Hugs, Hello Brooklyn, "Definitely not Santos"

2007: 200 Orchard

Dance Floor:

Nominees:

#1. 40 C, Studio B

#2. Cielo

#3. Rififi, darkroom, Arlo & Esme, Touch, 205, Cielo, Annex, downstairs at Santos, Santos

2007: Studio B

Sound System:

Nominees:

#1. Arlene's Grocery, Santos, Love

#2. Annex, Sullivan, Hiro, 205, Europa

Lighting System:

Nominees:

#1. Love

#2. Annex Upstairs

#3. Annex, Hiro, Bently Meeker, Santos, Europa, Cielo

Venue-Club:

Nominees:

#1. The Delancey

#2. Love, Santos

#3. Happy Ending, Rebel

#4. 40 C, Annex, darkroom, Bowery Ballroom, 205, Le Royale, Studio B, The Plumm, Market Hotel

*Non-Theater/Concert Venue for Live Performances:

Nominees:

#1. Arlene's Grocery

#2. Studio B

#3. Annex, Don Hill's, Irving Plaza, Bowery Poetry Club, Pianos, Mercury Lounge, Maxwell's, McCarren Park Pool, Joe's Pub, Ars Nova, Market Hotel, Death By Audio

*Bottle Service Menu:

Nominees:

#1. Marquee

#2. Beatrice, Happy Ending, 205

*In-House Club Food:

Nominees:

#1. Trash Bar

#2. Bowery Electric, Crash Mansion, Union Hall, sprinkles cupcakes at Country Club, Pete's Candy Store, Union Pool (Taco Truck), White Rabbit, Mason Dixon

*Rooftop:

Nominees:

#1. The Delancey

#2. Studio B

#3. High Bar, 230 5th

#4. 300 CPW, The Hudson, Bar 13, Daniel Casanova's house, Jordan's apartment

More...