Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MR. WEST TALKS TO MR. LEWIS. (Part Two)

cpnews

Friday we posted part one of Steve's conversation with Danny Devine. They discussed his transformation from work in fashion, to promoting, to PR, and finally becoming an owner of a nightlife establishment. If you missed day one, read it now. Otherwise keep on reading for day two.

jus_ske_copy.jpgAs a guy who builds clubs and such, I am always asked to recommend sound companies. I always recommend Joe Lodi. Many people swear by Mr. West sound designer, Dan Agnee, whom I almost worked with in a not ever completed project in Miami. During design phase I met with Dan a couple of times and we had different theories on sound design. The difference can be summed up like this. As far as sound design goes, he knows what he’s talking about and I only know a bit more than a layman, but I know what I wanted and Dan didn’t seem willing to give me what I wanted. It was my perception, and if I’m wrong I hope he corrects me as I only have respect for this extremely accomplished gentleman, that Dan looks at club sound like a fish tank. It seems to me that he tries to fill the club/fishtank to the brim with quality sound. The entire inside is equally wet. I as a builder of many clubs where conversation is important, indeed as important or more important than dancing, often require a sound design that is much quieter in perimeter seating areas where older fuddy duddies like me spend bucks on bottles. A dance crowd may catch a chat in a corner or by the bar, but the older or wealthier sets that pay the bills in small venues always have enticing raps and titillating stories to woo the gals back to the condo. Not able to get by on their good looks alone they need to be heard. Joe Lodi, who like Dan is winning awards for his work, has always understood my needs and made me happy at the end. I’m very curious to hear what gives or doesn’t at Mr. West. With my pal Jus Ske co-owning the joint with the divine Mr. Danny Devine, there is no doubt that some of the hippest DJs around are gonna give Mr. Agnee’s system a twirl. A real small room with a real big system and big name DJs on the dl sounds like a winner. If I go by and it’s great I’ll tell Dan he did a great job, I just hope I don’t have to yell for him to hear me.

Steve Lewis: So now you’ve gotta wear another hat. You have decided to open up this space which is a little hidden jewel by the Chelsea Piers, and you’re an owner now. How are you going to take on that responsibility and what is the idea behind this Mr. West? What are you trying to accomplish?

Danny Devine: Well, firstly we came up with the name Mr. West.

SL: It’s a very gay name… is it meant that way?

DD: I don’t mind you saying that it’s a gay name because that’s where we are located. Of course we will bring in the gay market because that’s where we are, especially on the fashion side of things. I know girls will be drawn in here also by our in-house team.

SL: Jus Ske.

DD: He’s our partner and he’s also our musical director. I’m overseeing more of the marketing, and PR agencies are helping out as well. We do also have some silent partners…

SL: So Mr. West is appealing to a straight crowd mostly? Is it a gay club, mix?

DD: It’s mixed; we’re going to be introducing a menu in a couple of weeks.

SL: Serving food?

DD: Yes we’re going to be opening daily at 5pm. I want to attract the local neighborhood crowd as well as to become the pre-gallery, post gallery opening place to go. I’ve been living in this neighborhood for quite some time and there a very few places for people to take advantage of in the neighborhood. And then we’re going to transition around 10pm which is when our door man will be coming in, that’s where we transition to a late night lounge.

SL: How many days a week are you serving food?

DD: The kitchen will serve six days per week. Closed Sundays.

SL: Are you going to have a late night menu?

DD: We will stop serving at 11pm.

SL: Is this a bottle service lounge?

DD: Yes.

SL: This space is a little bigger than The Eldridge over on the East Side. Are there any gimmicks or are you just playing it real?

fabrizio_copy.jpgDD: No gimmicks at all. Our main concern here is service, hospitality, proper cocktails, and really delivering. A lot of people say it and they don’t deliver it. We have really thought out our processes behind everything and we will most definitely provide impeccable service. Our bottle could probably beat the customer to the table. We’re expecting to have a lot of repeat customers and regular clientele due to our service, our capacity, and the fact that we can have a really tight knit late night party.

SL: Who is doing your door?

DD: Fabrizio

SL: Fabrizio is not at the Plaza anymore?

DD: Yeah no more, he’s not at the Plaza. He’s joining us and he’s excited to have control over the door.

SL: How many people does the place hold?

DD: In and out throughout the night a few hundred I’d say, but we’re keeping it tight. We want the right clientele; we’re not looking to jam them in.

SL: Is there a dance floor?

DD: No dance floor, we don’t have a cabaret. The center is just for standing and socializing.

SL: So you’re tables, lounging with some bottle service….

DD: Yes, and there’s an amazing sound system.

SL: Done by who?

DD: Dan Agnee, who’s done Cielo and 1 Oak.

SL: What’s it going to be like working with Jus Ske?

DD: Jus yeah. We have been friends for about fifteen years now, he’s a great guy….

SL: He’s much more stable, he’s older now. I think he’s developed into a really solid DJ.

DD: He’s excited to have his own place in the city, and he’s traveling like crazy. Coming up he’ll be in Detroit, Tokyo, Paris, Milan - so he’s everywhere. I know a lot of his friends, a lot of the other DJs in the business are going to be excited to play here with him.

SL: Jus Ske is known around town as a sidekick to Richie Akiva who co-owns Butter and 1 Oak, so it’s very interesting to see Jus Ske go out on his own.

DD: Yeah well we’re all very close. I also grew up with Richie, known him for about eighteen years now. We threw parties together for years and so we’re kind of, you know, we support one another, and yeah - it’s nice for Jus to go out on his own.

Good Night,

Mr. Lewis

Interview conducted and written by Steve Lewis.

Interview has been edited and condensed by Jessica Tocko.

More...