Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dropping Anchor at the Rusty Knot: Part IV

cpnews

Welcome to Part IV of our interview with Taavo Somer and Ken Friedman. In this final installment, Ken and Taavo discuss some of the backlash against the Rusty Knot, why it's not really a nautical theme dive bar, and why anyone really cares what it is. Enjoy!

DBTH: What do you make of this debate around "is this a dive bar"?

Taavo Somer: Yeah. There has been a lot made of the fact whether we are a dive bar or not. The reality is I was influenced by and grew up going to dive bars. Did no means did we ever think this would be a true dive bar. But if you look at how dive bars are usually organized, there’s some limited seating, there’s a good size bar and there is usually a pool table. And it has multiple areas with different functions. That was the extent of the influence of dive bars. And it probably will be 10 or 20 years from now.

Ken Friedman: It will be a real dive bar. The problem is that in some interview, I referred to the Rusty Knot as a nautical themed dive bar. The backlash began that moment. People began saying “it’s not a real dive bar!â€

T: Real dive bars are like this! Well it’s like but when that dive bar opened up, the owners of Blue and Gold weren’t like let’s open the shittiest bar in the East Village.

K: A filthy yucky dive bar.

T: There were aiming high. Lets get alpine painting and there are some nice details in there. There are some nice details in there. Over the years it starts to take on its own character. I find it funny the immediacy of things. If you are designing something, a restaurant or architecture. I am thinking of it long term, 25 years and 50 years. I am not thinking it’s got to be an authentic dive bar on day 1.

More...