Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cool clubs in San Francisco??

I just moved out to San Francisco, and I'm looking for some recommendations of cool clubs to visit! So far I've heard that 1015 Folsom is the one not to miss... anyone know of any more that I should definitely check out?

Thanks smile.gif

Krista - edgegirl9@chickmail.com

I was in San Francisco last week and partied at 550 Barneveld (or Space 550) on Friday night. Great party. There was a fight on the main floor around 1 am but it was quickly dissolved. The main floor featured two different trance/hard house acts performing live. I don't think they were DJing at all - at least nothing I could recognize very well.

The upstairs lounge that overlooks the main floor was suffocatingly hot and humid. I tried to stay up there for a while but couldn't.

The club is billed as an afterhours place (maybe) but it closes at 4am.

It really depends on what you are looking for out of the SF scene, because it is fairly diverse (although SF house is by far the easiest thing to find). Personally, I'd stay away from 1015 unless it's a sunday night at Spundae. However, if the big name DJs is your thing, then 1015 is the place to go. Be aware that security is really strict and you can't go outside to cool off or smoke cigarettes. Sometimes 550 Barnevald & 177 Townsend get the big names in too. 550 is actually a really cool place to go and I have hardly been disappointed there. Ruby Skye is pretty cool, a little yuppie, but cool.

If drum & bass is your thing, check out the sno-drift on thursday nights or the cat club on saturday nights.

IMO, the best thing about SF is house and its special blend of deep, funky and jazzy house. The Wicked crew is of the finest -- Garth, Jeno & Markie. They are actually throwing a Wicked party at 177 Townsend on 6/29. Anyways, there are so many great DJs who spin SF house, so that shouldn't be a problem if you dig it.

And if you like to party really late, hit The End Up, which usually gets going around 6am on Sat & Sun mornings.

And you can always look at sfstation.com or hyperreal.org to find the haps.

Hope that helps.