Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Event: James Cotton "Superharp" at Montalvo Arts Center, Sat, Oct 16 8:00p

"We're talking about the blues, loud and fast and getting down dirty, we're talking about James Cotton, a singer, stomper, and harp-player extraordinaire." --New York Daily News The musical pedigree of Grammy Award winner James "Superharp" Cotton consists of a veritable who's who in the world of the Blues. Inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 2006, the Smithsonian Institute in 1991, and winner of countless W.C. Handy Blues Awards, he has shared the stage with B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, the Allman Brothers, Santana, Bonnie Raitt, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Sam and Dave, The Grateful Dead among many others. During the latter part of the last decade The James Cotton Trio - with Cotton on harmonica, David Maxwell on piano, Rico McFarland on guitar, and alternate singers, Mojo Buford and Darrell Nulisch - toured the U.S., Canada, Europe, Japan, and South America.The music was not as loud as it used to be. "We like to play what people can listen to and enjoy," Cotton says. When one looks at Cotton's audience in his theatre, university, and festival venues, it consists of three generations - the youngest is usually holding a harp. Cotton has always been known for having one of the best bands in the business. The members are: Slam Allen, guitar, vocals; Tom Holland, guitar, vocals; Noel Neal, bass; Kenny Neal, Jr., drums; and, of course, Superharp himself, James Cotton. His eyes light up when he talks about his band, "My audience always tells me how I'm doing. If I look out there and don't like what I see, I work harder." His audiences are still on their feet, they enjoy themselves as much as he does, and there are still standing ovations night after night. You will have a memorable evening with an international treasure and a true Living Legend of the Blues. -- Jacklyn Hairston Visit the James Cotton "Superharp" website. VENUE: Carriage House Theatre