Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Event: Adam Beyer, Ida Engberg & Nikola Baytala Drumcode Tour at Vessel, Thu, Sep 9 9

clubmaster

Vessel, Base & [Kontrol] are very excited to present one of the most anticipated events of the year DRUMCODE Tour featuring ADAM Beyer & Ida ENGBERG Opening set by Nikola BAYTALA Thursday September 9th, 2010 Vessel San Francisco 85 Campton Pl vesselsf.com 21+ for table service please contact: reservations@vesselsf.com IDA ENGBERG 27-year-old Ida Engberg started DJing hip hop and soul aged 14 after a boyfriend showed her how to mix, but she says ?I had absolutely no plans on becoming a DJ, I just saw it as a new way to listen to and interact with music and I loved it!? But fate had other plans ? while at a friend?s bar aged 18 his regular DJ called in sick. Ida talked her way onto the decks on the proviso that if it wasn?t working after half an hour she?d get off again ? by the time she?d finished playing she?d secured her first weekly residence. ?I was probably a terrible DJ? she says modestly, ?but he loved the music so he booked me every Friday. At this time I was playing lounge music, ambient and soulful house.? Ida honed her mixing skills and bagged her second residency through more fortuitous timing ? working as a host at a big nightclub, Spy Bar, she stepped in for the errant resident DJ who?d had a skinful and promptly disappeared, leaving the dancefloor in silence. The owner immediately changed her job description to DJ, and put her in the main room, kicking off her DJ career proper. ?I guess it was there it really started? says Ida. ?I was playing house, tribal and electro and I really loved every second of it! I kept my residency there for two and a half years until I decided I wanted to spread my wings a bit.? A move to Marbella brought 8 months of club gigs, followed by a season in Ibiza which inspired Ida musically like no other place. ?I had fallen deeply in love with the minimal techno sound so it was perfect at the time. In Ibiza I met so many people who shared the same dream - to be working with music.? ?I was playing in bars and smaller clubs and in afterhour parties. Everywhere I went it was people with the same passion for music as I had.? At the end of the season, Ida returned to Stockholm landing a top residency at Cocktail Club, the best underground club in Stockholm. ?My first gig was a warm up for Eric Prydz and after that I did warm ups for everyone from Damian Lazarus, Mandy, Anja Schneider and Jennifer Cardini to Roger Sanchez and Steve Angello. ?Stockholm is a great platform for electronic music. There are so many great producers and DJs living here and people really support each other.? Although DJing is her first love, it was only a matter of time before Ida tried her hand at production. Her first effort was the massive Disco Volante - signed by John Dahlbäck to his Pickadoll label and released in 2007 with a Sebastien Leger remix. It became a huge hit all over the world, featuring on compilations from Ministry of Sound, Defected in the House and Pacha Ibiza. It charted across the whole of Europe, doing especially well in Holland, Belgium and Germany. Two more tracks have followed on Get Physical and Pickadoll plus a remix for Dada Life, and Ida signed with the Plantage13 agency for international gigs. She can be found playing her brand of minimal, techno and tech house in clubs all over the world every weekend, and her love of what she does is obvious to all. Playing unplanned sets allows her to respond to the crowd, and she?s rocked parties and clubs like Miami?s Sunday School for Degenerates, Yes at Watergate in Berlin, Tomorrowland in Belgium, Melkweg in Amsterdam, Catwalk in Rotterdam and Op Art in Portugal to name a few. Lately she also took part in the Drumcode parties with Swedish companion Adam Beyer. ?It?s still a musical journey, my style develops all the time and I?m always open to new impressions? says Ida. ?That?s what makes it the best job in the world!" ADAM BEYER Adam Beyer became dedicated to the fascinating world of rhythm early on. After playing the drums as a teenager his obsession turned to the decks. In 1990 he bought his first set of turntables and started spinning a wide range of hiphop, hiphouse, acid and techno at local parties and clubs. Beyer soon learned how to blend his sets in a thoughtfull and highly focused way, a talent that has now developed into his trademark style. In 92 Fellow school friend Peter Benisch introduced Beyer to the sampler, a year later they got their first record deal with New York based Direct Drive. After finishing school in 1995, Beyer started work at the Planet Rhythm record store while releasing some tracks under a variety of names and continually djing all over Scandinavia. Adam Beyer cites Drumcodes 1 (Planet Rhythm 1995) as the first record to define his style; hard, percussive and loop oriented. This 12" names Beyer?s future label and was soon followed by his critically acclaimed debut album Decoded (Planet Rhythm 1996). His need to create the perfect dj tool gave rise to the launch of the Drumcode label allowing him total musical freedom. The label?s strong concept and high production levels meant it enjoyed immediate success. After six releases Beyer launched his second label Code Red focusing on a slightly softer side of techno. Code Red finished with its 10 th and final release Stand Down (Code Red 1999) which was a compilation of remixes from various international artists. His production skills soon brought Beyer to the attention of djs worldwide and global bookings soon followed. His meteoric rise has been cited as one of the catalysts for Swedish techno?s current influence. He pinpoints the Stockholm sound as being closely linked to his network of friends in the city as well as the triumvirate of himself, Joel Mull and Cari Lekebusch. After many releases and remixes on various labels he launched the second album Protechtion (Drumcode 1999). While the market was being flooded with monotone, loop-oriented techno, Beyer worked on strengthening the arrangements that characterised his earlier works, as well as adding melodic strings. Still with a clear focus on the dance floor. The same year Adam Beyer and Cari Lekebusch linked up to create a stunning live act first witnessed in London to instant acclaim. The act created the intense feeling of a creative dj set while the duo played back to back mixing their production styles. As Drumcode has focused on Swedish artists, with Remainings III (Drumcode 2001) Beyer launched a new limited series. Halfseries (ie 20.5) includes remixes from international artists aswell as up and coming Swedish producers. The series contains ten releases and a final compilation. In 2002 Beyer plans on creating a new label, Truesoul, which would allow more space for a wider range of influences. Truesoul started as a closed internet discussion with friends in Stockholm. The group was founded by Henrik Fagerberg who is now art director and designer for the label. Truesoul is influenced by twenty years of listening to electronic music and will focus on conceptual projects and full length albums. Adam Beyer?s focused djing and uncompromising production style has brought him to the global arena of techno, continually playing clubs and releasing records all over the world. Despite his young age, Adam Beyer has become one of techno?s leading figures. NIKOLA BAYTALA * It?s 5:00 am beneath the city streets of San Francisco at one of the many late night underground venues in the City. The space is still packed wall to wall with club goers who have been caught in the rhythmic web being woven by San Francisco?s best-kept secret, DJ Nikola Baytala. For well over a decade, Nikola has built his reputation as a DJ the old fashion way: by playing the music he loves with a passion and skill that is unmatched. Even as morning approaches, no one at this party is going anywhere until San Francisco?s underground hero has played his last record. Originally from New York, Nikola got his start in Los Angeles in the 90s producing parties with the legendary Doc Martin. Upon his arrival in San Francisco, Nikola quickly developed a reputation both as a record connoisseur and a vinyl manipulator, playing kinetic sets that not only showcased his technical prowess behind the decks but also his fearlessness as a music selector by not conforming to any particular genre. He is one of the rare DJs who can mix both records fresh off the vinyl cutter alongside rare and often obscure classics in a style that is distinctly his own. Nikola?s unique style and versatility as a music selector has allowed him to play headlining slots along side some of the world?s top DJs and artists: from Richie Hawtin and M.A.N.D.Y. to Roger Sanchez and Jane?s Addiction. Known as an obsessive vinyl record collector, Nikola?s extensive knowledge of music allows him to play sets comprised of the deepest house to the chunkiest techno and all the frequencies in between. San Francisco?s own Claude Von Stroke, mastermind behind the internationally acclaimed Dirtybird label, hailed Nikola as one of the best techno DJs in San Francisco. His talents have also landed him gigs at every major venue in the City as well as residencies at some of San Francisco?s most internationally recognized venues, including The Endup and the now closed but always legendary club, The Top. Nikola is also one of the crucial components of San Francisco?s minimal-techno collective, Kontrol. Founded in 2005, Kontrol almost single-handedly revived the techno scene in San Francisco and is currently one of the most respected techno parties in North America, having brought in such legendary artists as Josh Wink and Dan Bell ( DBX ) along with current luminaries like Modeselektor and Matthew Dear. In addition to his hectic DJing and promotional schedule, Nikola still finds time to work on production. With tracks on labels such as Robsoul, Junior Boy?s Own, Large Records and Nightshift, Nikola has a long list of critically-acclaimed productions to his credit both under his own name and along with his musical production collective, S.W.A.T. Through his extensive touring schedule, Nikola has begun to showcase his skills to crowds around the world. His recent set at the 2009 Movement festival in Detroit blew crowds away, and Resident Advisor proclaimed him one of the top underground DJs in the Us. Track by track and city by city, Nikola is quickly moving towards taking his rightful place amongst the rarefied ranks of elite DJs in the world. The international electronic community is beginning to take notice of what San Franciscans have known for years: Nikola Baytala always brings it. *