Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Event: M.I.A at Shrine Auditorium & Expo Center, Thu, May 29 9:00p

clubmaster

In 2000, the Sri Lankan born, London bred Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam was encouraged, by electro-clash icon Peaches, to make music on a Roland MC-505 Groovebox. Maya pulled lyrics from journals she had written during a 4 month trip to the Caribbean island of St Vincent. In 2005, she released Arular, selling 130,000 copies in the U.S. and reaching mainstream charts in Europe and the U.K. It was considered as much a political statement as a musical one. * In 2007, Kala was released. Once again, it received unanimous international critical praise. It topped multiple “Best of the Year†lists in publications around the world, which cite its deft mixture of politics, social consciousness, and inimitable genre-blending. In 2008, the single “Paper Planes†brought Maya worldwide mainstream acclaim and was nominated for a Grammy for Record of the Year in 2009.* The song was also featured in the film Slumdog Millionaire, in addition to M.I.A contributing vocals to the Oscar nominated track from the film, “O… Saya.†* 2010 saw the release of, /\/\/\Y/\, which received early praise from the media with Rolling Stone commenting, “M.I.A's latest is as challenging and awesomely out-there as the title of her album /\/\/\Y/\.†/\/\/\Y/\ went Top 10 on the Billboard 200 album chart and #1 on the Dance/Electronic chart.* On Dec. 31, 2010, she put out the acclaimed mixtape Vickileekx. Now, as M.I.A. readies her fourth studio album, new track “Bad Girls†made its debut on Pitchfork.com January 30 th and was released worldwide on January 31 st . “Bad Girls†was produced by Danja (Timbaland, Diddy, Madonna, Nelly Furtado, Pink). The “Bad Girls†video was shot in*Ouarzazate, Morocco and directed by Romain Gavras (M.I.A.‘s “Born Free†and JUSTICE’s “Stressâ€) and debuts on Noisey - VICE's new music channel on YouTube on February 3rd.* Expect a full length release from M.I.A this summer! * Named one of the ten defining artists of the 2000’s decade by Rolling Stone and one of the world’s 100 most influential people by Time magazine, M.I.A. has been nominated for an Academy Award and two Grammys (“Paper Planes†and “Swagga Like Usâ€).* * Awards and Accolades * 2005 Won Groovevolt Music & Fashion Awards Best Alternative Album – Arular 2005 Spin and Urb magazines' "Artist of the Year". 2005 Mercury Music Prize Shortlisted – Album of the Year – Arular 2005 Q Awards 2005 Nominated – Best New Act 2006 Southbank Show Awards - Breakthrough Award 2007 USA Today’ s "100 Most Interesting People of 2007". 2007 Kala voted #1 record of the year in both Rolling Stone & Blender 2008 Independent Music Awards (Canada) - International Album of the Year (Kala) 2008 Independent Music Awards (Canada) - International Artist/Group/Duo of the Year 2008 named one of the 10 best dressed of 2008 by Vogue magazine. 2008 Village Voice 's * Pazz+Jop Poll: Singles Winner 2009 named one of Time magazines 100 most influential people. 2009 wins Best Female Hip-Hop Artist at the Bet awards 2009 Nominated Bet awards – Best New Artist 2009 Grammy Nominated – Record of the Year – "Paper Planes" 2009 Grammy Nominated – Best Rap Song – "Swagga Like Us†2009 Nominated Academy Award – Best Original song– "O...Saya" 2009 Won -Ascap PRS awards - "Paper Planes" 2009 Won -Ascap PRS awards "Swagga Like Us" 2009 Nominated Brit Awards - British Female Solo Artist 2009 Bet Awards – Won Best Female Hip Hop Artist 2009 Ivor Novello Awards - Best Selling British Song (“Paper Planesâ€) 2009 Nme Awards USA - Best International Solo Artist* 2009 Dove Awards – Won Best Non-Christian Hip Hop (“20 Dollarâ€) 2009 Babytalk Golden Pacifier Awards 2009 Time Magazine - Top 100 Influential People of 2009 2010 Urban Music Awards Uk – Best Asian Act 2011 Uk Asian Music Awards - Best Video ("Xxxo"), Best Female Act, Best Urban act * M.I.A Online Miauk.com Facebook.com/miauk @miauniverse ~AXS