Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Poll: Miami's Best Sound System

Guest housejunkie98

Guest pod

Well on a pure fidelity level, I'd say Space and Nerve are on par. crobar has it's moments, but they let their DJs abuse it too much. I've heard crobar's rig sound like utter ass more often than not, and sound fantastic too...a club needs to enforce a certain amount of authority on their systems...too many clubs are afraid of offending their resident and guest DJs, the whole Tenaglia syndrome, where the DJ thinks they're a better engineer than the guys who put the rig together...Danny repeatedly whines about the "sound police" at Arc, and I've seen it happen at other clubs too...maybe in some cases, the DJ knows what's up...but you know what, if the DJ knows what's up, he's less likely to abuse the system...the ones who don't have a clue, they abuse it to shit...

Frankly, my logic is that the club has the right to protect their investment, despite the attitudes of the DJs.

Guest saintjohn
too many clubs are afraid of offending their resident and guest DJs, the whole Tenaglia syndrome, where the DJ thinks they're a better engineer than the guys who put the rig together

iirc, tenaglia used to rewire the booth at twilo so his main mix passed through a korg kaoss unit (the urei 1620 mixer doesn't have an effects loop or aux send/receive). i admit that the kaoss is a cool little effects box, but inserting it into the signal chain of a high performance phazon sound system is insane when you consider its s/n ratio.

as far as crobar goes, pod, you're right - it all depends on the dj. although i'm not a real fan, i was quite impressed by how digweed worked the sound system when i saw him there. it was more machinery than music, though - too intense for my tastes.

Guest pod

90 percent of Danny's complaints about his residency at Arc have always revolved around them throwing a fit when he would dive into their booth and do exactly that...purportedly, he's threatened to leave Arc over this very issue from time to time...

and you're right, all his little toys he brings, aren't engineered to the top specs, so it does nothing for the signal chain...it's like putting a $50 part from AutoZone in your Ferarri, rather than calling up Ferarri and seeing what to really use...

Guest LeVeL

Pod how about Maze, does Maze have a Funktion One System installed in their Club?? Are they a competitor to Nerve or Space........or are they not even close

Guest pod

Maze's system is a Funktion-One Dance Stack, in and of itself it is a decent system, but due to the severe mismanagment at Maze, the system has fallen out of spec, since the original contractor has not been bought in to do the usual maintenance.

Maze isn't even close to Space and Nerve...in more ways than one! ;D

Guest LeVeL

Pod now that Level is getting renovated, is their Sound System also on thee works, How about Opium and Nikki Beach are they close competitors to Space or Nerve.

Guest pod

Opuim's system is middle-of-the road at best...

Nikki Beach's system is like a home stereo system in an outdoor setting, driven way too hard. "Clock Radio on Steroids", as Saleen would say.

Level's system is hit-or-miss, it's a great Avalon rig, but sometimes the DJ overdoes it.

I'd rank the Miami systems like this.

1. Space

2. Nerve

3. Level

4. crobar

5. Privilege

6. Maze

7. Opium