Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hooj Choons closes it's doors

Guest digital7

Guest digital7
Dear Hooj Member,

It is with deep regret that we have to inform you that Hooj Choons, as we know it, is no more. Following two years of fairly horrendous financial struggle, during which time we fought to trade our way out of mounting debt problems, we've had to call in the professionals to resolve matters once and for all.

Naturally, this has come about as a direct result of: Sept 11/ any middle eastern conflict you care to name/ downloading/ the slump in the global economy/ music industry/ dance music industry... No, the truth is that as distinguished labels, clubs and magazines shut down around us, we failed to react quickly or effectively enough to what was going on. We thought we'd seen this happen before, and could work our way out of it, but this was a different kind of slump.

It feels like we should write some kind of mini - obituary for Hooj at this point, but maybe everything that needs to be remembered about us is out there already: a hundred and thirty six releases spanning 13 years, all of them, for better or for worse, trying to live up to our original aim of remaining 'occasional providers of half decent house'.

(Key members of staff will be carrying on the work of hooj.com, one of the few beacons of hope amongst the gloom of recent times, under a new name and ownership. Please see separate Hooj.com statement for details at the top of the board).

Its been a long, and until recently, enjoyable ride and we thank everyone for their support over the past twelve years.

Yours,

The Hooj Mob

Guest siuol_leahcim

My God! I know a lot of labels are struggling, but I didn't see this one coming at all! It's a sad day for anyone who has appreciated their "half decent house" over the years. There's definitely a huge void that will have to be filled. :'(

Guest Diaga

I c a n' t b e l i e v e i t :'(

I've been buying HOOJ's records ever since I started buying 12'' back in the days ( Y&T and CARJUL records ) This is one of the few labels I know that was always up to date with whatever was happening in dance music (house, breaks, trance, progressive, hi nrg, ambient, you name it, they had cover it all ..... ) :-/

R.I.P HOOJ CHOONS . . . . . . . . . . . :'(

P.S. Does anybody know which is or which is going to b their last release? ???

Guest siuol_leahcim

What's up Diaga? ;D

The last two releases were Drunken Monkey 'Gratification' and Aphasia 'Acapulco'....both of which came in two disc packages.

Guest demo909

They will be back......and from what I've been hearing they will still be doing releases just not as many anymore. Apparently Red Jerry (owner of Hooj) wants to take his share of the label and the name and set up shop else where. The other partners don't want this and there is quite a battle going on right now. This is a little inside info I got from me sources at Billboard.....so I think it's pretty acurate......anyway Here's the email I got from Hooj the other day on the subject.......

Dear Hooj.com member,

"Many of you will be aware of the situation concerning Hooj Choons. For those of you who aren't please see the statement at www.hoojchoons.co.uk.

Saddened as we all are by the situation, please be assured that none of this affects hooj.com in the immediate future. Key members of staff involved in Hooj.com, one of the few parts of the Hooj set up to do well despite current industry problems, will be running Hooj.com as usual for the time being.

Over the next month however, there will be a name and ownership change and a whole new look to the site as time and resources spent fighting the fight over at Hooj Choons are redeployed towards the site. Expect to see a wider range of available music (in all formats) as redeployed additions to the team spend time delving into deeper, leftfield waters. Also look out for a proper DVD section specializing in culty/ arthouse/ quality independent films, as well all music related titles.

We're also sorting out web space for an informal radio set up - you send in your mixes, with full tracklisting, and we'll be rotating the best of them (along with contributions from in-house jocks, etc) over a fortnightly basis, from 2.00 pm GMT to 2.00 am daily. Any of you wishing to participate in this, please have the mixes ready for the end of September. Mailing address to follow.

All bought promo credits will usable either on Hooj.com for the time being, or the new site thereafter.

We apologize for any alarm caused by Hooj Choons' apparently sudden demise, but do hope that the quality service provided by Hooj.com over the last couple of years will persuade you to stick with the successor site."

Yours,

Hooj.com

Wow! I'm pretty surprised. Hooj was a well respected label on an international level. This is just a sign of the current state of dance music. Alot of labels are struggling right now because of differnt problems, one of the biggest being MP3's. Dance music is at a state of uncertainty right now. It's definelty not gonig to dissapear, but it needs to step into the next chapter soon before there is nothing left. As far as Miami is concerned. I think this is a perfect city for dj's and producers to bust new sounds and styles that can have a positive effect on the scene. I'm a producer myself and I believe its time for the next  generation to step up to the plate and start the next wave. 8)

Guest ogmiami

I spoke to Red Jerry yesterday aboutr the situation at Hooj. It is true that Hooj is folding. As part of the process, the name will most likely be sold to cover debts. I can tell you that Jerry is devastated at the idea that someone could use the name to put out crap but that's the wy it goes. Lost Language, Airtight and the other Hooj spinoffs will continue to operate as usual. It really is sad.

Guest Adam Singer

yes it must be terrible for red jerry...i actually have an old mixtape of him and matt darey, and its awesome, back when trance used to be good ;)