Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Would you want to run a club?

Guest nickjunkie

Guest nickjunkie

I was talking to a buddy of mine in New York about this. One of those get wasted and bulls*** about nothing sessions...

Let's say you could raise enough investment to buy a decent club on South Beach - think Spin / Level / Crobar size - would you want the job of making it work? What would be your approach?

Think of it like Sim Club (not a bad idea for a game actually).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

I would want the part of GM, not owner. Owners are pestered too much by people wanting on the list and shit...and all their actions are public scrutiny, especially if you're Ken Smith, Gerry Kelly, or Louis Puig or someone else of that caliber. The GM kinda handles all the day to day stuff of dealing with promoters, sound system issues, and whatnot. They've got almost owner-like control without making the financial risk of being an owner.

In this day and age, I would not want to open a new venue on the Beach of crobar or Level size. Frankly, Space is the only megaclub Miami really needs. Not a big enough market here to support 3 megaclubs. 2 maybe, but not 3. Space could handle house, trance, etc...and Level could keep all the hip-hoppers penned up.

However, if I suddenly woke up in the morning, and I had the deed to a building somewhere on NE 11th St, I'd probably enjoy the challenge of trying to make it work.

Assuming a high budget, I would first sketch out a rough idea of what I wanted for a sound and lighting system...then I'd have Miami's best technicians come in and do the actual install...hmm...yep, I'm feeling talkative...let's do this.

Building: Basically a box. That's all I'd need. I'd make the box have 3 areas...a true basement, the main area, and an outdoor area up top.

Architechtural Style: Remember the scene in Minority Report when Tom Cruise goes to the cyber-parlor to get his friend to interface with the Precog? I'd hire that set designer. Lots of metal, blues, UV Pass, not a lot of white. Major redecorations every six months. The club itself would not be one of those "dark rooms" everyone seems to be so fond of. I'm not gonna install a solar simulator or anything, but it's not gonna be a pit, either.

Sound: Funktion-One Dance Stack...I've been sold on it :)

dancestack.gif

Back it up with some Crown and MC2 amps and the usual processing.

DJ Booth: 1200 MK5Gs like at Space 34, the Xone:V6 mixer from Maze...

xonev6.jpg

Lighting: I'd get Highend and Martin into a bidding war to do demoes at my club. I'd be changing shit out like twice or three times a year :) Nitrogen system a must, as well as a haze unit :)

xspottriple.jpg

DJ bookings, I'd leave up to Nick...he knows the agents better than I do.

I'd definitely make it a high priority of keeping up the venue too, I'd like it to look as good as it did when it opened. Rewax the floors every month or so, keep on top of the sound system maintenance, make sure the lights aren't burning out, paint things when needed, toss out fucked up furniture or repair it...

If I could put this together, I'd enjoy being the owner. :)

Guest coach

Right on, Pod! Want a partner? I'll handle all the boring business crap and you do all the cool stuff. I hear Level is for sale, or was that just a rumor, but something really big on the beach is for sale for $1.7 million. Heh, yeah, this is why I drove 1350 miles to live here.

Guest nickjunkie

Wow - I unleashed a monster. Round up those investors kids cos we're going in... ;D

I shoulda guesses who'd reply first - I've lost track of how much time we've spent listening to Pod's musings on club systems ;) He appears to be the man!

Guest shannon_coolj.

damn pod! getting a bit technical, are we? :o

i was going to post a response but it would look a bit sad against pod's response.

Guest coach
Level is for sale...5 million :)

Damn! The things we could do with that place!!! I definitely agree that we don't need "another Level" as I think you posted before. What we need is *a* Level. I just cannot believe that that place is not packed to the brim every freaking night of the week all year long. In terms of the physical space, it is one of my favorite venues anywhere. People should be coming from all over the world to go to Level. Hell, it should have it's own "Wild On" show. Not to mention that it should be the favored hang out for all the locals because it is so fun. Sunday should be "locals night" where anybody with a tri-county ID gets in free. Agh! The possibilities just boggle the mind.

Guest pod

Honestly, no one goes to Level because Space and now Space 34 have it beat 10 to 1. Space 34 has the best DJs, the best sound system, best lighting array, and the best staff in town. "Serious" clubbers, and locals go to Space 34, Level is purely for tourists nowadays.

Level was once "the crown jewel of Miami nightlife", but now it's the brass rivet that fell on the floor. They used to book good DJs, now it is a hip-hop joint for all practical purposes.

The only thing Level has now is location and a nice building.

Guest pod

5 mil, I'd get that dang digital camera i want already, and a few digitals for the rest of the CJ Goon Squad :)

Then I'd use the leftover 4 point something million to pay off my debts, build a new house on that island with the pointy thing in Biscayne Bay, and get a surplus Navy destroyer as my personal yacht, rig up the Jolly Roger as my flag, and become the club pirate of Miami. "What, you have a dresscode? Arrrr me mateys, storm the place!"

Guest nickjunkie
5 mil, I'd get that dang digital camera i want already, and a few digitals for the rest of the CJ Goon Squad :)

Then I'd use the leftover 4 point something million to pay off my debts, build a new house on that island with the pointy thing in Biscayne Bay, and get a surplus Navy destroyer as my personal yacht, rig up the Jolly Roger as my flag, and become the club pirate of Miami. "What, you have a dresscode? Arrrr me mateys, storm the place!"

i think you need help ;)

Guest pod

Stripped of all the cool stuff, yeah you probably could. Just the engines and shell basically aren't too expensive. I'd imagine a WW-II ship wouldn't be too costly.

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't want to, personally. A club on water would be an extra expense. I'd rather dump it into a better lighting array or some better DSPs for my sound system.

Guest JustBeFABOLOUS9

when I was younger I use to want to open a club... I grew up somewhat and realized there is no way in hell I would want to deal with that sort of drama... Too much stress

Guest Untouchablepurple

when I was younger I use to want to open a club... I grew up somewhat and realized there is no way in hell I would want to deal with that sort of drama... Too much stress

I can deal with it .. TRUST ME