Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Welcome!

Guest nickjunkie

Guest lyrik

Score another point for a Saleen suggestion that came to be reality.  ;D

....now hopefully you guys can work out a way to host mixes...that would be TOP NOTCH!

Guest lyrik

When that day comes I'll be glad to buy you your first beer and roll you a fatty of superbly home grown from my friends back in Texas...not this "crippy" crap here!

Score another point for a Saleen suggestion that came to be reality.  ;D

....now hopefully you guys can work out a way to host mixes...that would be TOP NOTCH!

No can do, as was said in another thread, it's walking on shaky legal ground...

Guest lyrik

Someone needs to explain the factual legality of hosting to me and why there are tons of sites that do it and have no adverse legal action taken against them...do these sites have express written consent from all the artists on a DJ's set  (can't be) or is there some type of way they are able to acknowledge the artists....there has to be a legal way to do this, isn't there.  ??? ???

With that said and following the same idea...couldn't a club be sued for having a DJ spin another artists work??

With that said and following the same idea...couldn't a club be sued for having a DJ spin another artists work??

Most decent clubs, in fact, pay a fee to ASCAP/BMI in order to be able to let DJs play other artists work, like you said...ASCAP isn't the drunk-on-power organization that the RIAA is, so you could get away with opening up a joint and not having an ASCAP permit...but the way things are nowadays, some smartass will make a note of it, and probably use it to dick you and your venue over.

But, as Nick said, it's worth a look to see how hosting a mix could be done legally... 8)

• 1 month later...

UM wow this is the first time I hear someone could get sue for that.... Yet I dont think is what homeboy says...But RMXing a song without permission and if it goes big it is... U must pay the artist in order to modify his work of art... thats the way I see it... Um U know sometimes I used to think like this "If I am buying a Vinyl that is on the Store, shit I am paying the artist already" But didnt know that the Clubs where behind all that... Sure thing is IT DOESNT happen at Houston baby nah nah nah... U play what u want whenever u want is all in the underground stream...Been there love that...

Guest pod

oo underground, scaaarrry! ;D

But most remixes you hear in clubs are bootlegs anyway...someone remixes it, they get a friendly vinyl press to run it off, or it's on CD-R, and then it's off. Sometimes, the original artist hears it and actually likes it, and a deal is worked out where it is released for real.

• 1 year later...