Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sound Factory loses lease

V. Barbarino

Sound Factory loses lease

after drug raid

The Sound Factory has been silenced.

The troubled Hell's Kitchen nightclub has lost its lease nearly two months after NYPD and federal authorities raided the place for drugs.

"The Sound Factory is effectively out of business," Perry Burkett, a lawyer for the main leaseholder, Metropolitan Lumber Hardware and Building Supply, said yesterday. "We are looking for a new tenant, if anyone is interested."

Metropolitan had subleased the 30,000-square-foot space at W. 46th St. near 11th Ave. to the Sound Factory.

Club owner Richard Grant, 61, and his security bosses, Ronald Coffiel and Randell Rogiers, were arrested during the March 7 raid and charged under a federal statute that makes it illegal to provide a safe haven for drug dealers.

Officials at the U.S. attorney's office in Manhattan declined to comment last night, citing an investigation.

Authorities targeted the Sound Factory after two patrons died of drug overdoses there and undercover cops found "open and flagrant" drug dealing inside the venue.

The club was temporarily padlocked in 2003.

But Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Emily Jane Goodman allowed it to reopen after ruling the owner could not be blamed for the behavior of patrons.

Guest klit

Thats yesterdays news...

Anyway..

Downtown Laudy - tonight.. me you DUI and Miranda :o

You coming be otch?

Anything special there tonight or just regular downtown laudy night. GOnna be there 2nite but probably going from bar to bar unless something special going on at voodoo or that other place I think its called karma.

Anything special there tonight or just regular downtown laudy night. GOnna be there 2nite but probably going from bar to bar unless something special going on at voodoo or that other place I think its called karma.

Nah, we'll be bar hopping too... HOpefully we'll run into ya ;D

Guest saintjohn

ironically, sound factory won the 2004 "best superclub" club world award (the unclaimed trophy is actually sitting next to my monitor). although it's really new york news, the story of sound factory's rise and fall should also serve as a cautionary tale to south florida nightclub owners, employees, and patrons. "open and flagrant" drug dealing is bad for business, and bad for dance music in general.

Guest coach

I see your point, John, about how it is globally relevant, but it really is NY news. So, maybe it should be in the Global Junkies forum.