Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami is a joke....

V. Barbarino

NORTH MIAMI — In an attempt to recruit minority officers, the police department in North Miami, Fla., has dropped swimming as a required skill because it says not enough potential black applicants know how to swim well enough to pass the test.

The city's population is 60 percent Haitian and city officials say removing the swimming requirement wasn't done to be politically correct, but to fill 14 vacant slots.

"The bottom line is I need police officers," said North Miami Police Chief Gwendolyn Boyd-Savage (search). "When I look at the qualifications to become a good police officer ... a person's ability to swim or not to swim does not make them a good police officer or a bad police officer."

But Miami Dade County (search), which includes North Miami, has hundreds of miles of canals, lakes and beaches. In nearby Broward County (search), the top cop said deputy candidates are required to swim, regardless of the color of their skin.

Broward County Sheriff Ken Jenne (search) said if his deputies weren't prepared to swim he wouldn't "send them in harm's way and endanger their lives."

For 25 years Lee Pitts has trained police and military officers how to swim and he doesn't think race has any relation to swim.

"The basic instructions to learn to swim are patience and desire, whether you're Haitian, Asian or African-American," Pitts said.

Guest coach

Ummm... yeah, couldn't they just TEACH them to swim? I mean, they teach them to shoot (supposedly) and swimming is easier to learn than that.

Guest JMT

a friend of mine went out for the Boca Raton PD... told me how pathetic a sight it was to see some of this ripped f-ing guys start bitching and wimpering like little kids when they had to try and swim 2 laps in an olympic pool.... it took some of them like 10 minutes.

Guest klit

Why didn't they just send them to classes to learn to swim before accepting them? In any country I would hate to see the policies for accepting an applicant to a police force being lowered. What are they going to take out of the test next?

This should not be a question of minorities though in my opinion, but should be about highering people that fit what your looking for. Give the job to some people that can swim.

Guest JMT

Why didn't they just send them to classes to learn to swim before accepting them? In any country I would hate to see the policies for accepting an applicant to a police force being lowered. What are they going to take out of the test next?

This should not be a question of minorities though in my opinion, but should be about highering people that fit what your looking for. Give the job to some people that can swim.

true, but they feel its important to have minority officers to interact with the growing minority communities and they will view the police with less fear if they can relate better.

Guest klit

I see what your saying, my thing is its not as important that you get minority officers as it is that you get qualified officers. Besides no matter what, people will always fear the popo so won't make a difference unless they think having somebody they can relate to will be easier on them if they are ever caught doing something wrong.

as a cop or a fireman, would you want a fellow cop or fireman saving your butt if you are in trouble knowing they are substandard than more qualified cops or fireman???

American History X, one of the best lines in the movie.

If you are an adult, and you live in florida, and you can't swim, then you are not fit to be a cop, plain and simple.

Guest klit

how the hell can you be a full-grown adult and not know how to swim?

Tons of people with that problem white, black, asian, or whatever. And if they never needed to learn to swim before then that would make sense why they don't know how.

Guest klit

as a cop or a fireman, would you want a fellow cop or fireman saving your butt if you are in trouble knowing they are substandard than more qualified cops or fireman???

American History X, one of the best lines in the movie.

If you are an adult, and you live in florida, and you can't swim, then you are not fit to be a cop, plain and simple.

One of fav. movies of all time. Edward norton deserved the oscar that year. I don't mind if they not as good as others who could have gotten the job, but at least be qualified. If these guys are haitians even sadder they don't know how to swim cause Haiti is an island. We are surrounded by water and most haitians I know definately know how to swim. If they were raised in florida their whole life and never been to the beaches or inside a pool I guess it would make sense.

Guest pod

Sad really. Especially considering Miami-Dade County is a coastal area. It is like not knowing how to build a fire in the Colorado Rockies.

Guest antonio

Well............its not in the music junkies section already :-X

But I have to admit that this thread sucks!!! ;D