Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The new CoolJunkie event listings, Beta Test v0.9

Guest endymion

Guest endymion

Hi guys, some of you have already heard that we have been working on turbocharging the event listings system at CoolJunkie. Sarah finished the data entry portion of the project before she went to LA and Nick did most of the graphic design a few weeks ago. I have been working on the tech that powers the system and we're just about done.

I just wanted to let you guys take a first look if anybody cares. The new listings break down events by genre and we now provide a full monthly calendar. You can look weeks ahead to spot big events like Sasha's Involver tour dates or Tiesto or whatever. We are going to be leaving past events and event flyers in the listings, so our past event listings now read kind of like an illustrated nightlife history. I'm working today on some tweaks that let us include pointers to reviews from the events and photo galleries and other related stories at CJ.

We have had a few false starts but the next launch window is Sunday night. Hopefully when you check the listings on Monday you'll see the new format. If anybody is curious and would like to see the new listings now, then take a look at today's events in the new listings.

Please do let me know if you spot anything funky. I'll be tweaking and polishing all weekend.

it's ok, but I still think the skinny design kills the page. too small and narrow. You could free up atleast 2 inches on that page. it's 2004, the 15 inch monitor is out dated and ie 5 is 90% used in the US.

I have a 17 inch with the largest font selected and it looks like a 8 font on the screen.

Guest endymion

Talk to Nick about the 800px fixed width. It's a religious thing for him and you aren't going to change his mind.

Guest bingo_the_clown

Talk to Nick about the 800px fixed width. It's a religious thing for him and you aren't going to change his mind.

I have charts, graphs, and stats to show that the 1024 res is used by over 65% of users, and the 800 res only constitutes 21% (the rest are random crazy resolutions)... ;D

I kind of agree with Nick, though. Unless you can make the page span, keep it to the lowest common denominator. As I recall, this concept was beaten into me by some crazy perl programmer who pummelled me with his mad interface skills. ;)

Guest macboy

I'm telling you TJ, skip all this other fancy crap and get me some WAP access to CJ. I want to read and post on the go like I used to with my Sidekick. ;D

Guest endymion

I'm telling you TJ, skip all this other fancy crap and get me some WAP access to CJ. I want to read and post on the go like I used to with my Sidekick. ;D

You are unfortunately in the minority, but you will be happy to hear that CoolJunkie is settling on a mobile standard for ourselves (Sony P-900's and Powerbooks work together really well) and so we now officially have a need to make everything work from a tiny screen.

That's the good news. The bad news is that we have no interest in WAP at all. We'll be producing alternate HTML templates for low-res HTML browsers for PDAs and mobile phones but not a WML version. Not enough people care.

I have charts, graphs, and stats to show that the 1024 res is used by over 65% of users, and the 800 res only constitutes 21% (the rest are random crazy resolutions)... ;D

I kind of agree with Nick, though. Unless you can make the page span, keep it to the lowest common denominator. As I recall, this concept was beaten into me by some crazy perl programmer who pummelled me with his mad interface skills. ;)

I would imagine the 65% jumps up every few months. By xmas, and the price of pcs these days, we could be at 70% in no time. Thoug MS has now learned people are not ditching their software quicker than they thought. So who fing knows, but set a cookie and give me wide screennnnnnnnnnnn!

Guest endymion

It's funny, you guys are worried about bigger screens when in reality the big concern now is in smaller screens, not bigger ones. 150px max width for the next alternate version of our templates.

Guest macboy

You are unfortunately in the minority, but you will be happy to hear that CoolJunkie is settling on a mobile standard for ourselves (Sony P-900's and Powerbooks work together really well) and so we now officially have a need to make everything work from a tiny screen.

That's the good news. The bad news is that we have no interest in WAP at all. We'll be producing alternate HTML templates for low-res HTML browsers for PDAs and mobile phones but not a WML version. Not enough people care.

OK, just let us know when we can access via the handhelds. :)

Guest endymion

Oh trust me I will be begging for beta testers. The thing that I did where I got the WMC listings in iPod format didn't really go anywhere because about three people even noticed. I had the WMC listings in my iPod all week and it was cool but it was kind of a waste of effort since I was just about the only one.

Would anybody be interested in a downloadable eBook listings format that you could stick into any PDA and carry with you? You would have to download the eBook file and sync that with your PDA but then it would work with no net connection. I personally think that just aiming straight for HTML-capable net-connected mobile devices makes more sense. Requires much less geekery from the user on the day of the event.

Guest macboy

Oh trust me I will be begging for beta testers. The thing that I did where I got the WMC listings in iPod format didn't really go anywhere because about three people even noticed. I had the WMC listings in my iPod all week and it was cool but it was kind of a waste of effort since I was just about the only one.

Would anybody be interested in a downloadable eBook listings format that you could stick into any PDA and carry with you? You would have to download the eBook file and sync that with your PDA but then it would work with no net connection. I personally think that just aiming straight for HTML-capable net-connected mobile devices makes more sense. Requires much less geekery from the user on the day of the event.

Check that thread. I tested it and reported the nonworking links. ;D

Will be glad to be a beta tester.