Clubplanet Nightlife Community

This is pretty cool..

SINGAPORE (Reuters) -- Student Gracinia Lim has made new friends thanks to mobile phone software that alerts her to compatible people nearby.

She is an early customer of a service in Singapore called BEDD that uses Bluetooth wireless communications to scan strangers' phones for their personal profiles.

The application joins a swelling number of Internet and mobile phone based services that offer to widen people's social networks.

Users download the BEDD software into a compatible phone, complete a short profile of themselves and include a description of who they want to befriend, or an item they want to buy or sell.

The software automatically searches for and exchanges profiles with other phones that come within a 20-metre (65 ft) radius. Matched users are given each other's contact details.

"I've become close with people that I've never known before, built up a close clique of friends whom I chill out with, sleep over at their homes and go for late suppers with," said Lim, 19.

The software, created by futures trader Stephen Carlton and Swedish engineer Olle Bliding about three years ago, was launched last month in Singapore and will be rolled out in most of Asia by year-end. It costs S$0.98 ($0.571) for 30 days of unlimited use.

BEDD differs from rival services in that it relies on phone-to-phone transmission, running on the short-range Bluetooth technology.

Other mobile-based dating services in Asia -- such as Singapore Telecommunications Ltd's MyCupid and Bharti Airtel of India's TrackUrMate -- exchange information through a central database. Carlton said BEDD has over 1,000 users in the city state and hosts get-togethers in coffee bars where people let their phones make their introductions. As the number of customers grows, the chances of meeting a compatible person at random in the street or on a bus will grow.

"People spend tons of money at dating and matchmaking agencies or on personal ads -- for a small amount of money, this software could help change their lives," Carlton said.

just think, Michael Moore phone will beep when techjunkie is within 65 feet of him...

Guest endymion

Check out Dodgeball, you can already do some neat nerdy things with mobile phones here too.

Wireless spam to your mobile handsets is not very far off.

Check out Dodgeball, you can already do some neat nerdy things with mobile phones here too.

Wireless spam to your mobile handsets is not very far off.

no spam for me... I keep my phone ghetto with no text messages. No operating system etc. I don't want the headaches. Though they just released the national directory of cell phone #'s, so if aren't on the donotcall.gov, better sign up now!

Guest endymion

I don't mean through SMS. I mean through Bluetooth, WiFi, and other ad-hoc wireless networks systems. Imagine walking by a night club and getting bluejacked with a message offering you a password good for one free drink inside, that sort of thing.

Flip open your notebook in Starbuck's and fire up your IM software and get an IM from Starbuck's with a coupon for their latest drink and also night club flyer from the shady little club promoter sitting in the corner with a spamming laptop. None of this tech is hard.

Guest endymion

The clubs and street promoters shoving flyers in your face are not trying to make friends. They are trying to make money. I'm just saying brace yourself for the mobile phone version of that because it's coming whether we like it or not.

Guest joeygk

dodge ball isn't really the same thing -- the blue tooth ping & scan anoymous strangers --- dodge ball someone has to send out a text message and you have to be subscibed to the group before it goes out ---

>>> Saleen on Jdate is the funniest thing eva! ;D

Guest endymion

Yeah I don't think that Dodgeball will work. Requires too much nerdism and attention from the end user. It will only work if it somehow keeps working automatically from your pocket even after you get wasted while you're out.

If Dodgeball does work then it seems like it will be only nerds using it, which seems kind of pointless. Dodgeball has some neat toy factor to it but it doesn't really do anything that you can't do just by texting your friends yourself.

Guest LeVeL

Its nothing new....its been happening for some months already.......get ready for spam-text messages....soon you will have to download a spam blocker for your cellphone all due to this. Welcome to the digital world bitches......... ;D