Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Prison abuse cover-up, US soldiers can be charged with war crimes

Guest endymion

Guest endymion

The Bush administration flatly refuses to release 20 specific documents under subpoena to the Senate Judiciary Committee regarding the Abu Ghraib prison abuse.

Specifically included:

* An April 2003 memo from Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld to Gen. James T. Hill, head of Southern Command, on ``Coercive interrogation techniques that can be used with approval of the Secretary of Defense.''

* A Sept. 10, 2003, memo to forces in Iraq on ''Applicability of Army Field Manual 34-52 and sensory deprivation.'' The manual is the Army's guidelines on interrogation, in effect since 1987.

* A Sept. 28, 2003, memo by Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, head of coalition forces in Iraq, titled ``Interrogation and Counter-Resistance Policy.''

* A January 2004 memo to Sanchez from his legal counsel on a ``new plan to restrict access to Abu Ghraib.''

Bush accepts personal responsibility for suspending the Geneva Convention in Iraq in one of the three memos that the White House did release:

"I accept the legal conclusion of the attorney general and the department of justice that I have the authority to suspend Geneva [conventions] as between the US and Afghanistan"

Documents relating to Iraq have not been released, only documents relating to Guantanamo and Afghanistan. This is a cover-up in progress.

As a direct result of Bush's actions, American military personnel can now be put on trial for war crimes in the Hague. We tried to weasel out of it by threatening to veto all UN peacekeeping operations everywhere in the world. Sudan, the Congo, Afghanistan, Israel, even Haiti. We got zero international support even with those threats, facing "united opposition from the Council."

We are now at the mercy of the new Iraqi government. If they decide to sign on to the ICC as the Iraqi people will demand, then prepare yourselves for the world comparing American war crime detainees to the Nazi prison guards on trial at Nuremburg. Prepare for the US to be dishonored as our people plead the same exact defense that the Nazis did: "I was only following orders."

Guest web_norah

as the bloodiest day in Iraq unfolds....

it is really nice when the war isnt fought in your backyard.

Guest endymion

I hear the NIMBY argument a lot lately.

If that has become the only justification that will stick for what we are doing then we can't be surprised to be regarded as an evil menace by the rest of the world.

Here is the only comedy that I can find in the situation, and I'm trying hard trust me. As the Daily Show pointed out last night, Rumsfeld took the time to personally scrawl next to his signature authorizing forcing prisoners to stand for up to four hours on one of the released memos:

"I stand for eight to ten hours a day. Why is standing limited to four hours? D.R."

Rumsfeld really is Darth Vader.

Guest guyman1966

If they decide to sign on to the ICC as the Iraqi people will demand, then prepare yourselves for the world comparing American war crime detainees to the Nazi prison guards on trial at Nuremburg. Prepare for the US to be dishonored as our people plead the same exact defense that the Nazis did: "I was only following orders."

How you can even suggest that Nazi Germany is similar to Iraq is way beyond me. I suggest you put the club drugs down and step away from the glow sticks.

For those of you who live under a rock, the Nazi's killed Millions of people, while some American's walked a few naked Iraqi's around like dogs.

Guest JMT

If they decide to sign on to the ICC as the Iraqi people will demand, then prepare yourselves for the world comparing American war crime detainees to the Nazi prison guards on trial at Nuremburg. Prepare for the US to be dishonored as our people plead the same exact defense that the Nazis did: "I was only following orders."

How you can even suggest that Nazi Germany is similar to Iraq is way beyond me. I suggest you put the club drugs down and step away from the glow sticks.

For those of you who live under a rock, the Nazi's killed Millions of people, while some American's walked a few naked Iraqi's around like dogs.

werd

Guest web_norah

Nazi Germany was sad but it was like 50 yrs ago - get over it!

and live the f*** present. thanks!

Guest guyman1966

Did you ever hear the expression that those who fail to learn from history are destoned to repeat it.

Guest JMT

how intelligent

Guest endymion

How you can even suggest that Nazi Germany is similar to Iraq is way beyond me.

Well then that's your fault for not paying attention in history class.

For those of you who skipped a few chapters:

* The [Nazis/Americans] crushed a bunch of innocent civilians in an imperial world invasion movement.

* The [Nazis/Americans] turned entire countries into giant refugee camps in a grab for more power, money and territory.

* The [Nazis/Americans] demonized a group selected only by race and adopted a "the end justifies the means" mentality that resulted in war crimes and atrocities against humanity.

* The [Nazis/Americans] didn't care because they considered themselves above the law.

* The [Nazis/Americans] became feared by the world and other countries united to force them to take responsibility for their actions.

* [Nazi/American] officials and military personnel were tried in an international court for war crimes?

People are afraid of us because they see the same arrogance in us that led to the slaughter of millions of Jews. We are dangerously close to justifying genocide. We either back off and apologize and work to prevent further bloodshed and naked pyramids or else the general consensus everywhere in the world will be that we are the biggest problem of all. Not the terrorists. We have proven to the Iraqis to be a bigger problem than Saddam, the rest of the world is not blind to that like we are.

Guest guyman1966

I fail to see any similarites.

i think you failed HISTORY....shame on u!

UMMMMMMM - Deans List and Political Science minor.

Guest web_norah

and the point is ???.................congrats on the degree though, now i know you went to college, quite worrying actually, since you fail to acknowledge TechJunkie's points.....

Guest guyman1966

and the point is ???.................congrats on the degree though, now i know you went to college, quite worrying actually, since you fail to acknowledge TechJunkie's points.....

His points are verbal masterbation. They exagerate the truth and distort what is going on.

Guest web_norah

His points are verbal masterbation. They exagerate the truth and distort what is going on.

the argument goes both ways

Guest guyman1966

the argument goes both ways

Do you? Go both ways?

Guest endymion

We really are being criticized by the world for our failure to defend against genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and aggression. Our opposition to the ICC makes us look like we support those things. Opposing those things should go hand-in-hand with fighting terrorism but for the Bush administration they do not.

For American citizens to break down, unable to comprehend the seriousness of this stain on our national honor, is expected. To respond with a reference to masturbation is playing into a stereotype of what the world thinks of us. Naked pyramids of brown people with "terrorist" written in marker on their bodies (those of you who did not sleep through history class remember this from the Nazis) and dumb, well-fed Americans smiling over them and giving the thumbs-up sign. You are that.

Guest guyman1966

UMMMMMMM - Deans List and Political Science minor.

A+ in total hotness too guyman :-*

Once again, you have made it impossible for me to leave my office. Thanks! ;D