Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
V. Barbarino

SO i ditched mozilla and installed firefox and..

Guest durrtylexx

BIG UPS TO RCRESPO FOR THE ADVICE. THIS SHIT FLYS LIKE A RAVER AT A PVD FREE CONCERT!

LMFAO you forgot the glow sticks.

Guest endymion

Firefox and Mozilla are basically the same project. The Mozilla project grew out of Netscape, they opened up the source to the world and it got named after their mascot, the Godzilla character.

Firefox uses the core page rendering system that the Mozilla project developed and refined. Firefox and Camino and a few others just took that core and dropped it into a totally streamlined container. Mozilla's container is aimed at people who want the mailer and the newsreader and the HTML authoring tool and all of that other cruft left over from the browser wars.

That other crap got moved into Thunderbird, which doesn't suck if you're cursed to a PC and you need a simple and reliable mailer. Basically Firefox + Thunderbird = Mozilla

Guest trancepriest

anyone on here tried firefox on linux (fc2)?... i can't get realplayer or helix player to work with it.. although the plugins work in mozilla.

anyone on here tried firefox on linux (fc2)?... i can't get realplayer or helix player to work with it.. although the plugins work in mozilla.

realplayer is such a piece of shit. I take it off every system I use, work and home. it's worthless.

Guest endymion

Netscape released the code for Netscape before they got bought by AOL and called it "Mozilla". People all over the world put years of volunteer effort into making it not suck. They succeeded, and there are quite a few browsers available now that use that code. The official Netscape, the AOL browser, Firefox, Camino, and the Mozilla browser itself (code named "Seamonkey"). The core rendering component is called Gecko.

All that end users need to know is:

If you're cursed to Windows then use Firefox. It's the best browser available for Windows right now. Fast, light, reliable, standards-based, and it generally flies under the radar of the spyware authors who have learned how to shove plug-ins into IE whether you like it or not.

If you use a Mac then with use Safari of Camino. Safari has had a lot of performance issues with a recent security patch so at the moment Camino is the quickest and most responsive browser for OSX.