Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Thievery Corporation

Guest durrtylexx

Guest durrtylexx

g38071a4zay.jpg

Outernational Sound

Release date: 06.29.04

Label: Esl Music

Thievery Corporation make abstract, instrumental, midtempo dance music somewhere between trip-hop and acid jazz. The production duo of Rob Garza and Eric Hilton,

Thievery Corporation released a few warmly received singles on their own Eighteenth Street Lounge (ESL) label (named for their Washington, D.C. bar and nightclub) in 1996. Previously known primarily among acid jazz and rare-groove DJs, the group shot to minor celebrity when a track from one of their early 12-inches appeared on respected DJ/producers Kruder & Dorfmeister's mix session for Studio K7's DJ Kicks series. Similar in many respects (and more than just number) to that Viennese production duo, Thievery Corporation subsequently grew in popularity among a wider audience of DJs and headphonaunts. Their debut full-length appeared in 1997, along with a compilation of Washington, D.C.-based electronica artists Dubbed Out in DC (both on ESL). After 4AD signed the duo they began work on their second LP but were forced to postpone the release date after tapes were stolen in a mugging. The stopgap remix compilation Abductions & Reconstructions was released in 1999, and their second proper album The Mirror Conspiracy followed a year later. Their growing fame made them a natural to select tracks for the 2001 Verve compilation Sounds from the Verve Hi-Fi, and one year later, the duo returned with a third production LP, The Richest Man in Babylon. ~ Sean Cooper, All Music Guide

Thievery have never dissapointed me..Guys buy this!!!

Guest endymion

Digital DJ's, I just picked up some excellent Thievery Corporation tracks yesterday from Beatport. They have a whole Eighteenth Street section there with lots of killer midtempo stuff. They have my favorite, "Lebanese Blonde". It's so perfect for that chilled-out South Beach sunset mood.

If you're into that then look at the Om Records section too, there are some choice Andy Caldwell club mixes in there. "Sin Musica" is there, try it out, it's cool. Lots of nice stuff from Ovum in Beatport too.

Any suggestions from anybody for other labels or artists to mix in with Thievery and Om and Ovum stuff?

Guest endymion

Ah cool, thanks Shannon. I have been listening to some of the mixes at the deep house network site that you pointed out. The ones that I found are pretty bland but I learned a neat new mixing party trick from one of them. Worth the listen definitely, thanks!

And yeah, I was raiding Beatport this weekend and I was flipping through some Thievery and some other Eighteenth Street stuff since this thread reminded me, and I have to admit it's not moving me nearly like it used to. When I first discovered Thievery they were my favorite for like three months straight. I think I overplayed them.

Cool act live though. Powerbook central on stage.

Guest web_norah

Digital DJ's, I just picked up some excellent Thievery Corporation tracks yesterday from Beatport. They have a whole Eighteenth Street section there with lots of killer midtempo stuff. They have my favorite, "Lebanese Blonde". It's so perfect for that chilled-out South Beach sunset mood.

If you're into that then look at the Om Records section too, there are some choice Andy Caldwell club mixes in there. "Sin Musica" is there, try it out, it's cool. Lots of nice stuff from Ovum in Beatport too.

Any suggestions from anybody for other labels or artists to mix in with Thievery and Om and Ovum stuff?

OM is Mark Farina's label, do a google search and you'll come up with it

as far as Ovum, System Recordings in NY distributes them....

www.systemrecordings.com (i think)

Guest endymion

Hi Norah, thanks! I have a bunch of Ovum already from working on Digital Jay and I found some stuff in Beatport, but I can't find anything from Ovum that moves at all. Am I missing something or is most of their stuff kind of meandering and jazzy but kind of bland overall?

Speaking of which. Cibo Matto. Spaniard friend of mine pointed out this track "Sugar Water" yesterday. Holy cow, beautiful vocal downtempo loungey thing. Real nice track, if you have been reading this thread this far then check it out. Reminds me of Poe. Or maybe the Sneaker Pimps. Real nice summer downtempo track. I have a feeling it must already be on some Cafe del Mar or something that I missed.