Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest trancepriest

12 inch powerbook

Guest trancepriest

Tech,

Can the 12 incher run Final Cut Pro (resoultion wise). I'm looking at my options for a powerbook. Pretty much made up my mind on the 15er with the superdrive or the 17er. But the price of the 12er with a superdrive is damn good especially with an education discount.

Guest endymion

I have to admit that it's a little cramped when you try to do things like Photoshop and Final Cut and Aftereffects. The 12" is kickass because it's so small and it can be near you more often, but yeah. Cramped screen for graphics. Can't say I would recommend it as your full-time only option for pro video.

For an occasional thing though, it works fine. If you are keeping that dual G5 and you just want a little satellite system that lets you edit clips from the pool deck then go for it.

You have a Bluetooth phone? You try the Clicker yet? I lost my handset so I'm bidding on eBay now for something that I can use that Clicker with. I'm also crazy over that utility that Macboy pointed out that does caller ID popups.

I want to make AppleScripts for the Clicker that let me control Arkaos from the dance floor. Should be able to pull it off no problem from what I can tell.

Guest trancepriest

Thanks for the advice. Looking to get the powerbook to edit on the road... will keep the G5 for main editing and dumping. No I don't have a bluetooth phone.. although tempted to get one when I get the pb. I've been drooling over a pb for a couple months now.. images of 2 pb's at Club Space stand out in my mind... lol.

Guest endymion

Haha, yeah, that was a totally successful stress test. If you're going to use it to dump footage then you will probably want to get yourself a phat external Firewire drive too. The Powerbook's drive is respectable but if you use it for footage and rendering video output then man it fills up fast.

The ultimate phone will be the Apple iPod/camera/video/PDA/phone with Bluetooth and GPRS that I keep hearing about. Until then I'm getting a remote for my PowerBook.

Hey so what's stopping Apple from putting one of these on the market with video outs? The Quicktime Player could stream video to it wirelessly via RTSP just like iTunes does? I'm thinking that price point is the only reason.

Guest macboy

Trancepriest, if this is a secondary computer, then definitely get it. It's a great option for editing on the road. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, just make sure you max out the RAM. Other than that it will work fine. I've used it on slower computers with no problems. They've even bumped up the VRAM to 64MB on the 12" model.

Also, if you need to hook it up to an Apple display, it has a mini-DVI out, though it won't work with the new 30" monster.

An external drive is also a must, you don't want your scratch drive to be the same drive as where your apps are located.

And TJ, Clicker is great, also try this little app out:

http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneMenu/

Guest endymion

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, just make sure you max out the RAM.

I second that, the only mod that I made to my 12" was packing it with memory.

And HOLY CRAP MACBOY, I didn't even realize that utility you pointed out can do SMS text messaging right from the PowerBook. Holy crap I need that! Thanks for the pointer!

Guest endymion

It's the receiving with the PowerBook that interests me. We're working on some events that involve two-way SMS communication with the crowd. Wireless SMS voting during the CoolJunkie DJ Spin-off, a TRL-style feedback board during other events, etc.

My plan for that up to now has been to secure an SMS gateway from a sponsor. This utility made the light bulb in my head go off that I can just use any Bluetooth handset on any provider and use the PowerBook, no SMS gateway. I wouldn't use the utility during the events, it's just the idea that matters.

Rock! Thanks man!

Guest trancepriest

Definitely made up my mind now to get the 15 incher (If I'm able to sell my e-machines m5305 notebook i'll get the 17 inch)... I swear I don't want to spend money on another computer for at least a year... I've blown so much on computers lately. But a powerbook is a must... would dread bringing the m5305 on the road with me.. no compatibility with my monster back at home.