Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Fox is biased? Conservative?

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pol/36232703.html

Salon.com

Happy talk from hell

Even if you think you're wise to Fox News' right-wing agenda, Robert Greenwald's "Outfoxed" will leave you very afraid.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By Andrew O'Hehir

July 13, 2004 | I'm a neutral observer, of course, here to give you a fair and balanced report. But some people would say that Fox News Channel is nothing more than the private right-wing propaganda machine of a sneaky right-wing billionaire who is -- now these are just the facts, people -- not an American at all but some kind of Down Under, funny-accented, shrimp-on-the-barbie-eating, crocodile-hunting, profoundly un-American Australian, for goodness' sake.

And while I know Australia is not obviously very much like France -- treasonous, untrustworthy France -- let's look under the surface a little, OK? Do you know what one of Australia's top agricultural products is? That's right, it's wine. Draw your own conclusions, people, that's all I ask. And when you get right down to it, isn't there something French about Shep Smith, if you know what I mean? Isn't that "mousse" in his hair? Does that sound like an American word to you? Isn't there something about him that suggests the French government of, say, 1943? Something a little Vichy French? Nazi-collaborator French, possibly? I don't know, I'm only asking. You decide.

Maybe you think my parody of the methods employed by Fox News itself (yes, French and Australian readers, that's what it is -- please delete those partly composed e-mails) is a few truckloads too broad. After you see Robert Greenwald's documentary "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism," you might change your mind.

Unlike "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "Control Room" and "The Corporation" and the rest of the films in the Great Left-Wing Documentary Onslaught of 2004, you won't see "Outfoxed" in theaters, or at least not yet. Like Greenwald's 2003 movie, "Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War" (which actually will reach theaters soon, in an updated and revised version), it's being distributed by way of a grass-roots guerrilla marketing campaign that bypasses traditional venues entirely. "Outfoxed" premieres Tuesday at the New School in New York, and in coming days MoveOn.org and the Center for American Progress will be sponsoring roughly 2,000 house parties to screen it. (You can buy your own DVD or VHS copy through the film's Web site.)

It's not so much the fact that Fox News openly and sharply skews to the right, or, more accurately and more depressingly, that it parrots the Republican Party line. Unless you're just now getting cable or you live in Madagascar, that's not news. After all, there's something to be said for political frankness. I've always admired the way British newspapers wear their allegiances on their sleeves, and there's nothing duplicitous about it; all readers know that the Guardian favors the Labor Party and the Daily Telegraph supports the Conservatives, and they read those papers with appropriate ideological filters in place. I mean, hey, you're reading Salon right now; while we present a plurality of views and don't (I hope) march in lockstep with anyone, we make no pretense of political neutrality.

It's not even that Fox News commentators have suggested that John Kerry was the favored presidential candidate of the North Korean dictator. It's right there in "Outfoxed": An anchor on the morning show cheerily burbles, "Hey, [Kerry's] got Barbra and Kim Jong Il on his side -- what could go wrong?" "Yeah," chirrups the bimbette on his left, "North Korea loves John Kerry!"

Nor is it that the network found a way to turn the question of whether Kerry looked and acted French into a quasi-legitimate news story that played for several days. (At one point they interviewed some appropriately tousled-looking French philosopher, who agreed that oui, M'sieur Kerry had the attitude and demeanor of a leisure-class Continental, rather than the hardworkin' Texas rootsiness of his fellow Yale man, George W. Bush.)

When you watch Greenwald's barrage of pirated Fox News footage -- his filmmaking techniques are clearly testing the outer limits of the "fair use" doctrine, and may yet land him in court -- it's an overwhelming experience well beyond the hoot-inducing moments. Uprooted from the happy everyday babble of cable TV, the network looks more and more like a total propaganda system: Murdoch and his drones have created a dense and sophisticated weave of sound and image, drenched in the American flag and overloaded with authoritative-seeming info nuggets, whose exclusive goal is the dissemination of fear, confusion and disinformation designed to serve the ends of the governing regime.

Guest JMT

the media is so left skewed that any reporting close to middle of the road looks far right.

Guest bcnjunkie

the media is so left skewed that any reporting close to middle of the road looks far right.

you're joking right ? dude I don't know what other media you watch but the US media is right and far right !

Guest JMT

you're joking right ? dude I don't know what other media you watch but the US media is right and far right !

LMFAO! what rock do you live under? you cant be that ignorant. do you even know what the words left and right mean? i really dont think you do. ill give you the benefit of the doubt on foxnews leaning a little right (probably the only major news org to be labelled that in the past decade), but grow a noodle man. i can no longer even try to take you serious. thanks for giving me a good dose of humor today.

a poll was just released less than a month ago, U.S. REPORTERS FROM MAJOR NEWS ORGANIZATIONS WHO CLAIM THEY ARE LIBERAL OUTNUMBER CONSERVATIVES 5-1.

bonus question: how many straight days has the new york times published a front page story about Abu Ghraib?

Guest bcnjunkie

OK dude you're right ! left wing here is a mild rightwing really. I think you should watch international channels, if you don't see the enormous difference, than my young JMT, you got a lot to learn !

Guest miamimonk

I am clearly defined on right and left wings but I can tell you this much, I read Foxnews and Cnn everyday while at work constantly. After continually reading the same stories on both sites I have noticed something, Foxnews fails to include bad things about the president (not completly, but in some stories it completly avoids it). They do give the news, such as the Senate's report ,etc... but I am trying to remember this story I read the other day which was on both CNNs site and Fox's, CNN's said that so and so were blaming president Bush, etc for this, that, and the other thing, it was a big part of the story, yet Fox NEws had no sign of it at all in their version....hmmm

Guest JMT

OK dude you're right ! left wing here is a mild rightwing really. I think you should watch international channels, if you don't see the enormous difference, than my young JMT, you got a lot to learn !

the topic is AMERICAN news fruit loop.

the thing about american news is that there is certain accountability when a story gets fucked up.

Guest JMT

such a double standard.

yesterday CNN.com had an article on the main page about a guy who got arrested and was a big time political fundraiser in new jersey. it wasnt until the last couple paragraphs on the full page story that they mentioned he campaigned hundreds of thousands for democratic candidates. if he was a republican it would have been put in the headline. you know its true and i know its true.

5 to 1. there is no arguing that fact.

Guest web_norah

I am clearly defined on right and left wings but I can tell you this much, I read Foxnews and Cnn everyday while at work constantly. After continually reading the same stories on both sites I have noticed something, Foxnews fails to include bad things about the president (not completly, but in some stories it completly avoids it). They do give the news, such as the Senate's report ,etc... but I am trying to remember this story I read the other day which was on both CNNs site and Fox's, CNN's said that so and so were blaming president Bush, etc for this, that, and the other thing, it was a big part of the story, yet Fox NEws had no sign of it at all in their version....hmmm

hmmm times two

Guest miamimonk

The webmaster here at my job has blocked foxnews.com....hes trying to make it look like it s not working, but me and this other guy in my office aren't that stupid, I don't like fox, but blocking a site to promote your beliefs is not the right approach.