Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ibiza is racist central

Guest slopshark

Guest slopshark

Had to come home early from Ibiza. The people there kept calling me and my girlfriend the *n* word. It is a beautiful place and would probably be a fun place if you are caucasian.

Guest bcnjunkie
:o by whom ? the locals ? no way ! hard to believe but if you say so ! Spaniards tend to be very open minded people not interested in race/religion, etc.

Guest slopshark

:o by whom ? the locals ? no way ! hard to believe but if you say so ! Spaniards tend to be very open minded people not interested in race/religion, etc.

I also thought Spain would be very open minded before I went there. I flew there all the way from California and to get that kind of treatement totally ruined it for me.

Guest slopshark

I cannot believe that. I've been there many times and I've never seen that behavior exhibited.

Wish I could say the same about Ibiza. The damage has been done and I am done with Spain and perhaps all of Europe.

Guest bcnjunkie

sorry to hear that ! I've always had a positive experience in Spain. If you told me France it would be more reasonably understood but Spain ? Still, if they called you that, that's an english word not a Spaniard word, not ot excuse them but maybe you just had bad luck with some of the people you encountered that were perhaps americanized or just idiots (I've encountered more racism in the U.S. than in Europe, a lot more !!!). Also, if you mean "nigger" that's only used here, I haven't heard it in Europe, not even in England ! Sorry to hear your bad experience

Guest pod

I'm sure it was other tourists.

Europe may claim to be this land of enlightenment, but not too long ago, it was a hotbed of racism and violence for hundreds of years. It is kind of hard to bury all those centuries of prejudice overnight, and on occasion, it does leak out. Plus, not everyone is happy to be under the thumb of the EU, anyhow. They might love their neighbors, but being under the same roof kind of ticks them off, loss of national identity, that kind of thing.

Guest bcnjunkie

I'm sure it was other tourists.

Europe may claim to be this land of enlightenment, but not too long ago, it was a hotbed of racism and violence for hundreds of years. It is kind of hard to bury all those centuries of prejudice overnight, and on occasion, it does leak out. Plus, not everyone is happy to be under the thumb of the EU, anyhow. They might love their neighbors, but being under the same roof kind of ticks them off, loss of national identity, that kind of thing.

I couldn't agree more but normally it tends to be on behalf of the french or some country withn a complex like switzerland !, anyhoot, in Spain color is really not an issue

Guest macboy

BCN, you've made no secret of your disdain for the French, but I'd have to disagree with you on where its citizens' hatred is directed. In my opinion, blacks are not targets of hatred in France. It's the Jews who suffer the attacks. Well-documented I might add. I have never seen blacks suffer the same indignation over there. It's a different story in our own country. I think they are still treated worse here than in Europe.

You've always had positive experiences in Spain? Makes sense - you're from there aren't you? My experiences have been 95% positive. You do get the occasional jerk spouting anti-American hatred, but that's just about everywhere in Europe, not just Spain. Racism is not something I would ever equate with Spain.

As far as Ibiza is concerned, it is overrun with tourists in the summer, and you're more likely to come in contact with them than with locals, so I'd agree it was other tourists.

Guest bcnjunkie

macboy:

actually no ! I'm not from Spain, Im not even European ! you're 100% right, the French are very anti-semitic but not just Jews but Middle Easterners in general. Plus I never said Spaniards are perfect, all I said is that it is one of the least likely places to come in contact with racism due to color. Plus after living in France, having a french girlfriend, roomate, and contact with the French I can tell you that my observations aren't without foundation. The French hate everybody and are racist as they come.

Guest macboy

Oops! Sorry, thought you were from Spain. I don't want to get off topic, but Muslim population is increasing exponentially in France, hence the rise in anti-semitic attacks. I don't believe other Middle Easterners are getting their mosques defaced like the synagogues are. My cousin's synagogue was vandalized twice in the last 18 months over there. So, I'm not sure it is a blanket hatred on all middle easterners.

Guest bcnjunkie

Oops! Sorry, thought you were from Spain. I don't want to get off topic, but Muslim population is increasing exponentially in France, hence the rise in anti-semitic attacks. I don't believe other Middle Easterners are getting their mosques defaced like the synagogues are. My cousin's synagogue was vandalized twice in the last 18 months over there. So, I'm not sure it is a blanket hatred on all middle easterners.

on the surface it may seem that way, however, blatant racism towards Islamic culture is very dangerous in France. Remember that the really agressive north African immigrants (mainly Algerians) that compromise the low income areas are just looking for justification for trouble, and what a better one than racism. Defacing a synagogue will not get the violent reaction that would defacing a mosque. Plus I think most of the defacing of Synagogues is done by french of Islamic descent. Trust me it's not judaism, It's just as bad if not worse with Islam. Remember that North Africa was French at one time thus France has a more than considerable north African Islamic population, Imagine having all that population on your bad side ? I mean Paris is already little Algeria. French are too chicken anyways to say what they really feel, remember the country with a chicken as a national symbol ;D

• 1 month later...
Guest Abraham Abromowitz

Sometimes the world can be an ugly place. I'm sorry to hear about your experience in Spain. I am not surprised. In 1492 the King of Spain kicked all Jews out of the country. They called it the Spanish Inquisition.

Shalom & Love

Guest bcnjunkie

Sometimes the world can be an ugly place. I'm sorry to hear about your experience in Spain. I am not surprised. In 1492 the King of Spain kicked all Jews out of the country. They called it the Spanish Inquisition.

Shalom & Love

True, but you can't dwell on the past. Most young Spaniards today could care less about your religion. They are more intellectualy elitist than anything else. Someone with Salteens low level of rationalization ability (for example), would suffer deeply in a culturally advanced society like the one in Spain (for the possible exception of basque country where the mentality closely remsembles French mentality,... thus racist)... ps if anyone hates jews, it's the French

Guest Abraham Abromowitz

Shalom & Love

True, but you can't dwell on the past. Most young Spaniards today could care less about your religion. They are more intellectualy elitist than anything else. Someone with Salteens low level of rationalization ability (for example), would suffer deeply in a culturally advanced society like the one in Spain (for the possible exception of basque country where the mentality closely remsembles French mentality,... thus racist)... ps if anyone hates jews, it's the French

What you say is 100% ture.

Shalom & Love

Guest Akiraboy

spanish_inq.jpg

ah good ol Monty Python...

hmm, back to the subject... ???

I have family & some friends from Spain & they're so laid back...if so I'm very sorry to hear that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Diabolique

sorry to hear that ! Also, if you mean "nigger" that's only used here, I haven't heard it in Europe, not even in England ! Sorry to hear your bad experience

The last time I heard that word was in the deep south, georgia coming out of the mouth of an old man. I spit on him, and my parents had to drag me away, LOLOLOL!!! ( It was 20 years ago). I have been the victim of reverse discrimination, but surly it's not anywhere near as bad as the other way around....

Seriously tho, that is NOT COOL AT ALL. We're all the same on the inside.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eljumping

.........your probably confusing "nigger" with negro. In latin countries, black people are called negros, and it doesnt have any negative feeling, here in PR, even light skinned people tell each other, negro, as in mira negro, or oye negro. Im sure it wasnt meant to be racist.

Guest LdySphynx

Hmmmmmm, I think I may have the answer to this...although Ibiza does belong to Spain unfortunately the Island is mostly inhabited by the English & German.

The Spaniards are one of the most humble and friendliest race you can come across, I doubt that those comments were made by the true inhabitants of the island. Well i'm sorry that you had such a bad experience, but you should not say that you are done with Europe, remember you still have to visit the wonderful city of Amsterdam...which I can assure you will make up for what has happened to you.

Again don't leave with a bad impression of the Spaniards because it is not their fault.

Oh and one more thing, did you happen to notice that Spanish was not even the Main Language on the Island!!!

• 1 month later...