Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Catharsis in Cinemas

I think one of the most difficult acts to do well in a film is a catharsis...

Saleen, a catharsis is a purge of emotions, or a cleansing of the self via an outpouring of emotion- a dramatic, usually erratic release...done alone.

So, what do y'all think were some of the best catharsis' in film? One that first comes to mind for me would be Edward Norton in Spike Lee's "25th Hour."

First of all, If you have not seen "25th Hour" than you really must. Especially if you are a New Yorker (it's set in nyc and a lot of the references make more sense if you recognize the environment and the people)

Norton's character is going to jail...for awhile. He got busted for selling drugs, alot of them at that. "Shiiiiiiiiiiit."

SO the movie begins on his last day before going off to prison....the 24 hours before he leaves, he has to say goodbye to everyone he knew...

When he is having dinner with his father, he leaves for a moment to go down to the bathroom...in that bathroom it says "Fuck You" in white out on the lower right hand corner of the mirror....he ducks down to look at it, and then begins to argue with his own reflection. What ensues is one of the best catharsis scenes I've ever seen on film--- It captivates every time- have any of you seen this? Where he goes OFF on everyone and everything....and in the end realizes the only person to say Fuck You to was himself-

Spike Lee did an exceptional job with this film...I think it's one of his best-

What else can you guys think of?

Guest JMT

i saw the movie, HATED that bathroom scene. didnt feel it had ANY place being in the movie, except for Spike Lee to vent racist references under the guise of art, perhaps he really feels that way too. oh, didnt you just love when it came time to mention the african americans in that scene, their only knock was they hog the f-ing basketball too much! meanwhile every other group was called ethnic and/or derogatory slurs. that scene took away from what could have been a much better movie.

moving along, my example of catharis in film is rocky 1 when mickey comes to rocky to offer to train him. mickey gives him a guilt trip about this being his last chance to manage in the spotlight since hes so old and well past his prime, rocky gets pissed and tells him "at least you had a prime..." mickey leaves and slowly walks down the street, hearing every rocky yell and vent his frustations. a good scene, i just happened to catch it recently on the rocky marathon on amc.

i saw the movie, HATED that bathroom scene. didnt feel it had ANY place being in the movie, except for Spike Lee to vent racist references under the guise of art, perhaps he really feels that way too. oh, didnt you just love when it came time to mention the african americans in that scene, their only knock was they hog the f-ing basketball too much! meanwhile every other group was called ethnic slurs. that scene took away from what could have been a much better movie.

you're NUTS! ;) Let me explain first and foremost the film was based on the novel written by David Benioff. Benioff was the screenwriter for the film. Lee directed and produced.

That scene was about him realizing the only person at fault was HIM--- his hatred wasnt really directed toward the segregated societies--- but on himself- it was, if anything, an epiphany that transcended race and all that- he simply rails against nyc because he no longer belongs there and is furious for a moment. AND....it is a common misconception that this was all Spike Lee's idea. that bathroom scene comes directly from Benioff's novel...Spike Lee and his motives were of zero inspiration for it. All's he did was gather some B-Roll for it.

Guest JMT

in 25th... he really could have come to the same conclusion, that he just truly hated himself, without all that bs ranting and the slow-mo editing in of the images of each stereotyped group. just seemed very out of place and didnt flow with the film, imho.

obviously i didnt read the book, but i probably would havent liked that scene (for lack of a better literary term) in there either.