Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest web_norah

Bebel Gilberto's New Album

Guest web_norah

one of my most recent purchases, she has been remixed by Layo and Bushwacka, King Britt, Kruder, etc

see her album Bebel Gilberto Tanto Tiempo Remixes :)

B00024H2OG.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg

Amazon.com

With the release of her debut Tanto Tempo in 2000, the Brazilian singer Bebel Gilberto and the late DJ Suba redefined the bossa nova sound. Her sophomore effort, produced by Marius de Vries, the soundmeister behind Madonna, Annie Lennox and Bjork, was recorded in Rio, Bahia, London and New York. Gilberto's cool contralto sings sweetly over synths, strings, percussion acoustic piano and horns. Daniel Jobim and Pedro Baby contributed compositions. Caetano Veloso's "Baby" features lyrics by Os Mutantes, and Carlinhos Brown's candomblé-cadenced, "Aganju" swings with a nod to Africa. Bebel's hushed vocals reveal the influences of her father, the legendary Joao Gilberto, and of her mother Miucha on the electro-bossa beats of "Winter." Ditto the ocean-breezed "O Caminho," with jazzy orchestrations and pianisms provided by Joao Donato. This disc aims for the ear rather than the hips, but don't be surprised if future remixes could flip that sonic script. --Eugene Holley, Jr.

1. Baby

2. Simplesmente

3. Aganju

4. All Around

5. River Song

6. Every Day You've Been Away

7. Cada Beijo

8. O Caminho

9. Winter

10. Ceu Distante

11. Jabuticaba

12. Next To You

Guest endymion

This one is EXTREMELY cool. "Aganju" makes me all weepy. There are already some deep house remixes from this album floating around.

None are anywhere near as cool as the DJ Marky & XRS drum & bass remix of "So Nice" from her first album. That was my favorite track in any genre for like a year straight.

Guest web_norah

Bebel is a crooner with finesse as much as soul/ rhythm ....and interestingly enough, several heavy weights in the dance community have remixed her work....no surprise there, she is like the Sade of Brazilian music

my fav is the Layo and Bushwacka! remix of So Nice, you can hear it on their All Night Long Album somewhere in there :)

Guest endymion

She is more than that, she's the daughter of the 'godfather of bossa nova'. She's like royalty in Brasilian music. She either is having soon or just recently had a concert here in Miami to promote that new album. Gusman center I think, can't remember. I almost got tickets but couldn't do it because of the date. Still upset about that.

I have been kind of expecting an American distributor to take over from Crammed and start really pushing her here as a next Norah Jones. I guess she's maybe too ethnic for Wal Mart shoppers with all of that Portuguese.

Guest web_norah

Bebel is touring as we speak

i know she's playing here in NYC soon ;D

i think her and Marisa Monte are two of my most favorite Brazilian crooners, her father and Caetano Veloso are two of male favorite Bossa Nova artists....

not sure if she'd explode the way Norah Jones did

they are almost apple and oranges, both excellent and quite talented but i imagine the Portuguese might get in the way.

but to me, their music is universal :)

Guest endymion

Bebel Gilberto will be singing at a free invitation-only promotional event on Sunday in Miami. Anybody interested let me know and I'll pass along the information.