3) University of Wisconsin-Madison

4) West Virginia University, Morgantown

5) Ohio University, Athens

6) Florida State University, Tallahassee

7) University of Texas-Austin

8) University of Georgia, Athens

9) University of Colorado

10) University of Mississippi

only one school was ever called "professional party school" by playboy..

www.ecu.edu ;)

Guest pod

I'd like to know the criteria on this. Each of those schools are located in the most boring, white-bread areas of the country. Number 1 especially!

Hell, none of those schools are even moderately close to a real urban area, and I'm sure none of them have a club that is open past 2 AM.

Guest pod

You're right, I don't get it. Honestly. I didn't go to a party school. I moved to a city where the school was for education and the partying was done outside, and 'college parties' were anaethema to any decent club. The promoters came to campus, but there was no 'free with student ID' crap...they gave you a flyer or a comp pass if you fit what they were looking for at their party. Otherwise, it was pay up. Being from UM or FIU brooks you no special privileges on in the Miami nightlife scene. Frankly I liked it that way since it leveled the playing field a bit. I was your prototypical slacker in college, I only really cared about my major, and slept through the other classes...at night it was different...the guy sleeping in the back of English 405 was pointing a little film camera at some hot girl on the beach.

I'm not being critical (OK I am!) but I never saw the purpose of going to a place in a college town.

I've told this story in another thread, but I'd say it is kinda relevant in explaining my perspective. I grew up about an hour from SUNY - Albany. All the SUNY schools are like you described, no real nightlife scene outside of house parties with bars in them, a nitrous tank in the front room, and a blow and go in the back while your girlfriend was upstairs. I visited four schools before I went to college...Ithaca (New York), NYU, UCLA, and USC (California)...I ended up going to UM, which I never visited, but I was lucky Miami turned out to be a great place for me.

Anyway...the first place I visited was Ithaca, and it was a "college town" ...nothing there but two schools and a little town (cornell...), and I'm sure the scene is what you described as every college town being like. I didn't want that kind of crap for entertainment, so I immediately discarded going there in favour of a big urban school...I wanted more options culturally and entertainment wise...house parties are fun, but to an extent. I needed to get out and about.

But I did a little homework and found that the 'ratings' are done with 'college parties' and campus entertainment in mind. Schools in Miami and the big cities don't do this since they know they cannot compete with the world class entertainment options nearby. UM is dead on weekends, since everyone goes out somewhere. When me and my friends first got to Miami, we tried doing little on-campus parties for ourselves and our friends, but that is all it was, for us and our friends. We still went out a lot too, but the nice thing was that whenever we did our little parties, we could easily keep the crowd small since no one else was around, which was good since we deployed some serious sound and lighting...at the time, the systems were better than what most small clubs had.

But at the suburban and college town schools, there's not much else to do, so I guess you throw a party, and pass out by 2 AM.

Guest JMT

is this by Princeton Review? they are the definitive party school ranking authority.

(but nice to see FSU represent after the multi-million dollar pledge a few years back to combat student drinking.)

Pod, trust me when I say, you missed out..

do the math

18k students at ecu

12k of them were chicks

top 25 football team

the town was based on college kids, thus we did what ever we wanted.

it got so bad in the 90's the cops went on the news to plead to the students to tone it down. no drinking age at any bar any time. 17-20, come on it and drink!

drugs

more drugs

the bars were 10 feet off campus, about 20 of them.

if you were from the north you ran the joint.

nothing like hooking up 4 times a week then going home to your gf who cooks you breakfast.

tuesdays started the weekend.

Guest LeVeL

I cant neither FSU or University of Florida came in as number 1....I dont know who did the research on this but I dont believe. Shoot I never even knew there was a State University.

1). State University of New York at Albany

Evo - comments?

haha...I've gotten several emails about this today. It's good to see my alma mater back on the saddle @ #1, albeit a ranking lacking of any real quality scientific formula.

SUNY Albany and my experiences there taught me everything I now know about partying. POD, I have to say, you're really mistaken in several assumptions you made in your posts here---Albany doesnt have a big club scene...however there are two giant clubs (giant for upstate) that were opened 2.5 years ago, and several clubs downtown. All serve alcohol until 4am, and close around 4:30 -5am. I worked at one (there was a restaurant inside as well) and it had a capacity of over 3,000. The other club, Nick's Sneaky Pete's-- is a great space and has a great sound system= (shitty upsteate crowd, however)-- Jonathan Peters spins there often, and some others that I cant remember right now.

The nightlife in Albany is plentiful....countless bars, house parties, etc.....it was insane- the over-the-top experiences I had there were so ridiculous- You can do whatever you want...there is barely any law-- all nightlife establishments pay off the cops and everyone can party....I chalked my ID freshman year-= changed the "8" in 1980 to a "7." It was so painfully obvious....yet it worked for over a year. Bouncers would ask my age when walking in, and I would say 30, and they'd let me in. I didnt look a day over 16.

anyway, im rambling. While surely there are some crazier other universities out there, I'll say that Albany certainly deserves a high ranking, at least.

Guest pod

18k students at ecu

12k of them were chicks

top 25 football team

the town was based on college kids, thus we did what ever we wanted.

it got so bad in the 90's the cops went on the news to plead to the students to tone it down. no drinking age at any bar any time. 17-20, come on it and drink!

drugs

more drugs

the bars were 10 feet off campus, about 20 of them.

if you were from the north you ran the joint.

nothing like hooking up 4 times a week then going home to your gf who cooks you breakfast.

tuesdays started the weekend.

UM:

10,000 people. Majority girls.

Not very many fat ones either. Most were foreign, actually.

Fraternities very weak...a good thing, leveled the playing field.

Weekend never really ended.

Drugs? It is Miami. Plus the cartels sent their kids here.

UM kids did what they wanted, stupid ones were killed...really...every so often you'd read about some idiot who would cross a local and get whacked. College towns suck. Students drive down property values. UM loves it when they can ban a fraternity and build a parking lot since land is so cheap.

Only thing is that the beach and downtown are a $10-$20 cab ride away...

Cops? Well, UM has a private police force and it tended to be quite lax. Only thing is that they weren't rent-a-cops but real city police officers paid for by the school, so they could arrest you for real if provoked.

Guest Abraham Abromowitz

I don't understand how SUNY Albany can be number one ???

Its a bunch of Jews from Long Island and they are the party gods? Wait. I"m a party god and Bling is Jewish so maybe this is true!!!

Shalom & Love

Guest pod

EV:

I grew up in that area, and the first thing on my mind was leaving.

When I was 18, I threw some boxes on a 747 bound for Miami, and left like the place was about to get bombed.

Believe me, Albany isn't in the same universe as New York or Miami.

House parties and bars are all fine and dandy, but sometimes you gotta stare a Funktion-One or Dynacord cabinet down. ;D

EV:

I grew up in that area, and the first thing on my mind was leaving.

When I was 18, I threw some boxes on a 747 bound for Miami, and left like the place was about to get bombed.

Believe me, Albany isn't in the same universe as New York or Miami.

House parties and bars are all fine and dandy, but sometimes you gotta stare a Funktion-One or Dynacord cabinet down. ;D

it definitely isnt the same universe--- It really was only cool when school was in session- I did a summer session once and the scene changed from fun party college town to DEPRESSED shanty town. I cant imagine living there outside of a comfy, unrealistic university life. When I graduated, i packed my things and moved back home to the tri-state area without blinking an eye. But I will always have fond memories of the wacky times i spent there causing trouble...

Guest pod

To me it was always a depressed shanty town. The whole Upstate area was. Think Ohio with more Canadians.

Again, I got the fuck out ASAP. ;D

Guest miamimonk

These are mostly hick schools, as someone already said these are all house parties.I go to University of Miami and even though the number of house parties isn't incredible I have the option of Coconut Grove Bars, South Beach Clubs, Las Oelas Blvd, House Parties, *miscellaneous dorm activities*, and a bunch of other little things. These "top party schools" are the same drunken mess everyday of the week, I hear the same thing from everyone that goes to Florida State, lots of parties, nothing else to do. but I guess if house parties are your thing then go for it.

These are mostly hick schools, as someone already said these are all house parties.I go to University of Miami and even though the number of house parties isn't incredible I have the option of Coconut Grove Bars, South Beach Clubs, Las Oelas Blvd, House Parties, *miscellaneous dorm activities*, and a bunch of other little things. These "top party schools" are the same drunken mess everyday of the week, I hear the same thing from everyone that goes to Florida State, lots of parties, nothing else to do. but I guess if house parties are your thing then go for it.

you say all that like it's a bad thing ;D